I'm going to approach quitting smoking like I approached MFP

Options
Hubby and I have been told by countless docs to quit smoking. We know we need to. Both of our mothers died from smoke related illness. We have both quit numerous times but gained weight, became grumpy, started again. In all these years we have never given up nicotine altogether. We stopped smoking for a year but simply replaced it with nicotine gum. Therefore the craving just never went away.

I came up with an idea for us to carry a notebook. We have to write a mark for every single cig we smoke for a week. Each week we will decrease our amount by 2 cigs per day. If we are successful, we will be nicotine free in less than 3 months. I know that quitting cold turkey is the best way but I do not want to gain this weight back and I can't take out my nicotine withdrawal on my students.

Does anyone else want to join me on my quest to be truly healthy and give up this awful habit?

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    thats a great idea,I think I will give it a try.I really need to quit
  • Happyflirt
    Options
    I would love too I have recently just quit, today is day three for no smoking. I am on the patch and today is the hump day hardest day but i am sure I can do it. Having extra support is always good let me know and Good luck
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I DO!!!! I have 3/4 of a carton in the freezer I'm not sure what to do with..but whatever! My mom is going to be quitting soon..as right now we're waiting to hear back from her doctor about some lung related health issues that could possibly be lung cancer :( So, I want to support her and inspire her to quit...plus I myself have been smoking at least a pack a day for 13 years and I'm only 24! I can't breathe half the time, I use an inhaler and I get bronchitis frequently. Time to quit I'd say!
  • SortaBadass
    SortaBadass Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I quit about a year-and-a-half ago, so I'm with you in spirit although not in truth. You can do it!

As an aside, I went to visit a friend and her fiance last night -- both smokers -- and I was amazed by how smokey my hair and clothing were just from being inside their apartment for a few hours. Making a good first impression by not smelling smokey is enough motivation to keep me off the cigs.
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    What is your quit day? I am interested in joining also
  • aschultz9
    Options
    Haven't had a smoke for over a year now. Chantix worked great. I will never smoke again. Its so disgusting and can't believe I did for so long.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Good for you - cold turkey is actually not the best way to quit. Slow decrease is the way to go ... :) When you get down to 7 cigs or less per day ... consider switching to a nitcotine patch or gum. When you get that low, there are other chemicals in the cigarettes that are more addictive than the nicotine!

You are awesome!! :) Good luck!
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    Haven't had a smoke for over a year now. Chantix worked great. I will never smoke again. Its so disgusting and can't believe I did for so long.
    Awesome! I hope to say the same in a year :)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    We're going to do it slowly. We're starting the logging process tomorrow so we can know how many we smoke in a day. I know it's sad but we really don't know. Then every week on Monday, we're going to cut it down by 2 per day. We're hoping the slow withdrawal of nicotine will help our bodies adjust. My mom's thyroid went out of wack when she quit cold turkey and she gained 50 pounds. I sure don't want that to happen to me.
  • Claible
    Claible Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I know that many people have quite cold turkey but most fail because of the cravings. I love the Idea of tracking your smoking. That has been working with me loosing weight because I am accountable to myself for the food I eat. It should work the same way with smoking. I quite 8 months ago and did gain weight but I am now in control of the cravings and started this sight to loose weight. My approach to quitting was

1. Start with the patch (after three days this made me ill but I was past the worst part so was able to continue without the patch)
    2. build a support group of friends and family
    3.identified when I smoked the most and replaced smoking with hard candy and sunflower seeds.

Congratulations on making a very difficult decision and keep it up.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Does chantix really work? I have the medications but have yet to use it! I just got done reading a book called "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" By, Allen Carr. It's suppose to be a fool proof way to stop. I just got done reading it so I am going to attempt to quit with the help of my Chantix and the messages in the book which make a lot of sense! Good luck to us all!
  • aschultz9
    Options
    Yes chantix works. Takes away the pleasure of smoking. Makes it taste crappy and takes away cravings. Some side effects but well worth quitting. You have to be ready mentally to just be done too.
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    Everyone else may be going to cut back gradually, but I have been cutting back for awhile and was down to 6-7 a day, so I'm quitting right NOW..lol hard sugar free candy tastes better anyways!

Let's do ittttt!!!!! lol
  • mistressdee
    Options
    My brother quit finally quit after 35 years when he read Allan Carr's quit smoking book, I would have never believed it!
    My whole family is amazed he smoked 3 packs a day and he says he quit after he turned the last page
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I turned the last page but haven't quit yet, what the heck is wrong with me? LOL I am going to attempt it within the next few days though!

Maybe I need to reread it!
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yes chantix works. Takes away the pleasure of smoking. Makes it taste crappy and takes away cravings. Some side effects but well worth quitting. You have to be ready mentally to just be done too.

I have used Chantix also and it is amazing drug, the n/v and nightmares are not the worst side effect and you can live with them. But if you mind is there it is wonderful.. Getting ready to start mine again.. I used it along with the site and up until NY of this year I had quit for 78 days. Stress got the best of me I have quit many many times, the last three with chantix and yes it works I just need to stop using smoking as my crutch when stress gets the best of me. Each time I have quit thou it has been longer and longer.. SO maybe just maybe this will be the last time. :)
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    they have an app like that. I used it when I first tried to quit the last time. But really its a choice and once you really want to quit it makes it easier. But you have to WANT to. I quit last year of smoking for over 8+ years. Once I decided that I wanted to do it for myself and it really did make it easier.
  • skinnyb450
    Options

Yes I also took Champix (it is called in Australia) and it worked for me - however I gained 30kgs - when you stop smoking your metabolism slows down - I guess if you try and either drink plain water or exercise to replace the cigs your metablolism would re-start again - I gave up cold turkey 10 years ago (My Mum died of a smoking related illness) and put on 10kg in the first 3 months - I was so overwhelmed with the weight gain that I took up smoking again (IDIOT!!!) It has taken me 10 YEARS to attempt to quit again and this time I was DETERMINED to quit -I knew I would put on weight and that is why I am here but on the good side I have lost 8kg and feel awesome in my new healthy lifestyle - You CAN do it - but only If YOU WANT TO - Good luck :):flowerforyou:
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I quit in August using the patch. Did great until I went off the patch and watched my 60 pound weight loss go to 35. :grumble:

Two weeks ago I bought a pack. :sad: and am back at it like a chimney.

Now I'm smoking AND fat! But now that spring is inching closer, I'm going to try again. Freakin metabolism!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Does chantix really work? I have the medications but have yet to use it! I just got done reading a book called "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" By, Allen Carr. It's suppose to be a fool proof way to stop. I just got done reading it so I am going to attempt to quit with the help of my Chantix and the messages in the book which make a lot of sense! Good luck to us all!

I used Chantix and haven't had a cigarette in over two years. Like every medication there can be side effects so make sure to report any issues that you may have to your doctor. Myself the only side effect was I quit smoking but one of my friends had anger problems using it, another said the felt like they were using speed...