Poorly children...

Options
Hi,

The past week, I have had a poorly 33 month old and now have a poorly 14 month old (both with chesty coughs and colds). Both have had very disturbed nights and so I haven't had much sleep. Hubby is at work all day and doesn't normally get home until one, if not both are in bed. I have really let everything slip. Several days this week have been eating 100-200 calories more than I should and haven't been able to do much exercise. Obviously my children come first, but I feel really guilty about slacking. Have still lost 3lb since last weigh in, most of that probably down to stress. Any advice would be greatly received!!!

Thanks

Replies

• Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Kids come first. Sleep when they sleep if you can and just take it one day at a time. Eat healthy if you can't work out and just remember it won't last.
  • K3LLYSU3
    K3LLYSU3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Take care of those babies first...They need you. A couple days & you will be back on track just dont loose site of this for your self. But in time, we will all still be here for you. I hope they are feeling better soon! Kelly
  • tlussier
    tlussier Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree kids come first! And 1-200 cals over should still be below the cals needed to maintain your weight so you should still lose some weight PLUS if you are up all night I would assume that your body needs a bit more fuel to get by! Just hang in there sick kids is definitely no fun....maybe make a healthy batch of chicken noodle soup loaded with veggies! It could help the little ones feel better and feel you up for less cals!
  • tauns
    tauns Posts: 29
    Options
    A big thing to remember is that in order to take care of them...you have to take care of you! Also when you have lots of stress like you have especially sick children it is really hard to concentrate on what foods are going in your mouth.

I find that if ANYONE in my house gets sick (my hubby and myself included) my food goes to pots. To try and solve that issue I have started to implement a couple "sick" rules.

1. Make sure to go grocery shopping even if it's later at night. Stock up on some canned soups as well as fresh fruit and veggies. Having the food in the house that is healthy makes it a lot easier. Also soup is low in calories and an easy meal. Usually any sickie is willing to eat a little chicken noodle.

2. I ALWAYS make a pot of chicken noodle soup - homemade. There is something healing about the stuff. I make my own broth because it is healthier and easy (just bay leaves (usually 2), some basil, celery stocks, onion and a little garlic...let those boil with the chicken in the water). If you are a vegetarian you can make the chicken noodle soup minus the chicken...the same veggies make a GREAT vegetable stock and you can then just add lots of veggies, maybe some white beans for protein and then the noodles. I like to make my noodles from scratch with ww pastry flour...tastes the same and a lot healthier. The smell in the house from the soup is even warming and soothing.

3. Last but most important. Make sure to get up, get showered and take care of yourself. It's sooooo easy to stop caring for yourself when little ones are sick but taking a shower and starting your day off with a few minutes of you time really does help. When the kids go down for a nap try doing some in home exercises. Also take an extra time or two to run up and down the stairs to get in a little more exercise. You may not be able to do your full routine but at least you are getting some in!

Hope this helps and know many of us understand. It's really rough, especially with little ones. The MOST IMPORTANT thing out of all this is to remember to take some time to sit and just cuddle and love those little ones. They grow up way fast and before you know it, even when they are sick they don't want to snuggle their mom! Make sure that your day doesn't get taken with the chores. Take time for you but also take time to snuggle and love them. You will never look back and regret having loved your little ones when they are sick...even if you still have an extra 20 lbs on ya!

Hope this helps. I know I am not able to do it all perfectly
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I think you should be proud of yourself. You are looking after 2 sick children, with little sleep or interupted sleep and you have been able to watch your caloric intake to only go over 100-200 calories which isn't a huge deal (in my mind) If it were over 200 I would be a little concerned. I know so many mothers (including my own) who would be so exhausted that they would buy dinner (fast food or something that was quick to make for themselves) She would make sure we had healthy food so that we got better faster.

Just make sure you are also taking care of yourself, increasing your vitamin C intake and drinking lots of water to keep yourself hydrated and flushing out the toxins. Would hate for you to catch the cold and prevent you from working out even longer than now. Hope that helps>
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I agree that 100-200 calories over is still good and you will lose some. It is less than maintenance calories. :)

I agree with some other tips given... one of the things that is crucial for me to stay on track during busy or stressful times is to keep the kitchen stocked with healthy foods and especially healthy snacks I can grab on the run. Right now apples, bananas, individual size yogurts, cheese sticks are all good things to keep on hand. Love the chicken noodle soup idea too -- it is good for you and good for sick kids! Portion some out in individual size containers for you to eat at least once a day, pick an easy go-to breakfast (fruit and yogurt, eggs and whole wheat toast, oatmeal and toast) and you will have 2 meals a day and snacks taken care of!
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    Many, many thanks for the very kind responses and words of support.
    Eldest child is now better, running around and eating normally. Youngest is still poorly but on the mend, eating better although not sleeping better. I, on the other hand, am now full of cold, very achy and off my food - and have a christening to plan for on Sunday. 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

I really appreciate the kind words.
    P.S. My kitchen storage cupboards are now filled with squash, soups, fruit and cereals!!!