YAZ

Options
eillamarie
eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
OK ladies...I have cystic acne (hormones going out of whack) so my doc has me trying Yaz (a birth control that targets acne more than other brands). I've heard some bad things about it, but I'm getting desperate to fix my skin! I know birth control makes a lot of women gain weight/make it hard to lose weight (it does for my mom, but I don't know about myself yet). Anyway...have any of you tried Yaz and did you have any issues with it when it came to weightloss?? Have any of you, or any of your friends, had any adverse reaction to it??

Replies

• corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I'm on yaz and I don't have weight issues from it. I actually don't get a period anymore either. I still get the symptoms like bloating and food cravings. My skin is pretty clear though, I used to have acne issues as well. I think any weight gain would be so small it wouldn't really be noticable anyway.
  • eillamarie
    Options
    I've been on it about 10 days and I haven't noticed a single difference in weight-I've actually lost. It's probably too early to tell for either, but it seems that my skin is clearing up slightly as well. I swear I've heard that it's super bad for you though (like the Acutane of birth control)....is this true??
  • val8109
    Options
    I was on YAZ for the same problem. I did not have any problems weight wise with it, but it did drop my iron levels, so I was tired all of the time. I have also heard that a lot of woman experience pretty harsh effects from it. I decided to switch to something else. Proactiv has really helped me though with my acne problems.
  • eillamarie
    Options
    What were the "harsh effects"??
    I've tried Proactive in the past, but it won't help with cystic acne, only antibiotics and hormone regulators will help with what I have.
  • eillamarie
    Options
    OK I've been doing some research on the side effects and the first problem is that it tends to make women even more crankier than other birth controls. That's not that big of a problem....the real problem is that all the severe side effects associated with birth control (stroke, heart problems, blood clots, etc) are SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER with Yaz users than other birth control users. I'll be finishing up my current pack only to reap the acne-busting benefits then I will be asking to switch to something less deadly.