Does anyone else's feet go numb when they do cardio?

Carissa83
Carissa83 Posts: 33 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
For years my feet have gone numb when I'm running or doing the elliptical. Does this happen to anyone else and if so, any idea what the causes are or how to keep it from happening? It's got me a LITTLE worried. Thanks!

Replies

• I get that on the cross trainer, I have been told its nothing to worry about but i cant remember the reason behind it though. never had it on the treadmill though
    xx
  • My feet have never gone numb while running but always when I'm on the elliptical. I'd be interested in finding out as well...
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    That happens to both myself and my husband after about 20 min...weird!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Happens to me too....more often to my right foot than my left.
  • winterjade
    winterjade Posts: 55 Member
    Mine do when I am running on a treadmill, but not when I run outside....Weirdness, I just accept it
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    my right toes goes numb when i do the stair stepper thing
    it makes it hard to keep going. just plain anoying :c
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    I recommend the chiropractor and talking with someone who knows something about proper shoe fitting.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    My big toes feel numb & tingly when I walk fast & run on the treadmill. I don't know why either. I usually just try to flex my ankles more though and it seems to go away. Maybe its a circulation issue? Try tying your shoes looser maybe and flex your feet/ankles. Just a thought.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    My feet do when I am on the elliptical. I read somewhere to remember to wiggle your toes during working out and it should help. I guess that would be difficult to do while running though!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Only on my elliptical... not on the one at the gym. Not sure why, but I don't worry to much. I'm just glad it doesn't happen when I run!
  • naomihandler
    naomihandler Posts: 53 Member
    I think that it has something to do with pinched nerves. Nothing serious but sometimes your shoes can be too tight. If you google numb feet while running/on the elliptical there are tons of articles about it.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    This happens to me about 15 minutes in on the elliptical. I asked the guy at the gym about it once, thinking it may be a circulation problem or maybe my shoes, and he said it was just normal and nothing to worry about. I'm not entirely sure what's "normal" about losing circulation, but that's usually about the point where I stop my workout and move on to something else. Whether or not it's okay for it to happen, it's sure a distraction and not all that comfortable!
  • My left foot always goes numb when I use the elliptical and sometimes when I use the treadmill. After Im finished with my workout its hard to walk because they both feel numb.
  • Thank God !!...I thought it was just me...Ive tried running shoes....socks...and now im doing 60+ min a day barefoot on the elliptical...but my toes go numb after 40 min or so...glad to see its not just me...:bigsmile:
  • christina_c_marks
    christina_c_marks Posts: 101 Member
    As a liscensed physical therapist assistant i would recommend asking your doctor. Sounds like inadequate blood flow to or from the legs during cardio.
  • Hi, my feet have for years on the eliptical.
  • I can honestly say I never heard of this before or had it happen to me. If you are doing cardio on your hands then I could understand that maybe the blood is running from your feet but if that was the case then you would be AMAZING!!!
  • 750legpress
    750legpress Posts: 32 Member
    I'm so glad I saw this post! Mine go numb after about 35 minutes on the Precor Eliptical thing...and while on the treadmill they go numb in the area that the conveyor "lines" are under the belt. I have three different pair of shoes that I wear and it happens with each pair....

I will wiggle my toes when I'm on the Precor machine....then I move around while on the treadmill...it's the only thing I can think of that might help.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    I used to get this, and still do occasionally, but between making sure that my sneaks are not tight in the toe, or tied too tight, and shifting my weight more into my heals when I am doing the elliptical, I think it has gotten much better. I am a "no hands" on the elliptical person. It is easier to shift your weight into your heals if you are not reaching forward on the hand grips:)
  • I won't speak for anyone else but I have found that when remembering to lift my heels for a few seconds every so often kept my feet from going numb. I think its because on the elliptical your feet don't move therefore you lose circulation in your feet.
This discussion has been closed.