KNEES

Options
I am a runner by choice. I have recieved many warnings from runners and non runners alike that it will destroy my knees. My father is a perfect example as I always ran with him and he is going in for the knee replacement on the "other" knee now etc. He had some serious bowed legs but still. Well I had some IT band issues but have figured those out. I started doing some workout DVD's at home in the early morning on work days and my knees are really starting to hurt. The Firm Videos are my favorite but the 4 count lunges are noisy due to the creaking in my knees. I tried Tae Bo and it is much better for the knees it seems. Running is ok on my knees but these fitness DVD's are killing me.

I really like Tae Bo .... anything else out there that is the same kind of intensity that I can do that doesn't do all the lunges like the Firm videos and Jillian etc that destroy my knees????

Replies

• ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    It's kind of the same concept as Tae Bo but have you looked into TurboJam? or maybe something like Zumba?
  • lainey137
    Options
    might sound ridiculous- but how about swimming? It's as high or low intensity as you want, but non-impact.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Bicycling is a low impact option. I would imagine if you biked on inclines, like a mountain bike trail it would be pretty intense.
  • moonay
    moonay Posts: 30
    Options
    have you tried zumba? It's very energetic but I have a dodgy knee and after doing zumba it isn't painful so hopefully wouldn't negatively effect yours.

I would recommend zumba by zumba. It's the best collection out there.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    might sound ridiculous- but how about swimming? It's as high or low intensity as you want, but non-impact.

Thanks for that idea.

Swimming is a great workout and I definitely fit that in when I need too...but I am looking for a workout to do at home when I work. I have to be up by 5:00 am to get the workout in and I can't leave the house because I can't leave until hubby is home....so on that one or two days a week I need a DVD...Tae Bo will be ok for now but I like to have a few to rotate...I have to go to the gym to swim so I do that ..especially when the knees are really hurting.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Bicycling is a low impact option. I would imagine if you biked on inclines, like a mountain bike trail it would be pretty intense.

Biking is funny for me...sometimes I find it to be the perfect solution...sometimes it hurts worse than running...but looking for an at home workout for days I have to get it in without leaving the kids unattended....thanks though
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    I am a runner by choice kind of on hold for now foot problems and one knee that can give me trouble. Anyway I recently started doing P90X. I thought that I would be modifing polyo, jumping jacks, and lung work all the time but noooooo 7 weeks in and I don't modify much but here's the best thing! I've been running on my rest ( ha ha day) the last 3 weekends. 6 miles no trouble and I will run places I never would have run when I ran 5 or 6 days a week. Dirt road did it today, soft shoulder did it, places with only a little shoulder and maybe I need to jump the bank if the driver is a jerk did it. I love it and owe it to P90X. I'm sure we don't have the same problem and you should ask a Dr but you asked so....
  • TriPixie
    Options
    P90X gave my knees a break and made me a faster runner after the 90 days. Currently, I'm suffering a knee injury (right in the middle of marathon training, thankyouverymuch) and biking and swimming will have to do for another week until I can add some running in slowly.

As a side note: if you order P90X from beachbody directly (versus eBay or Amazon), they are awesome about replacing a faulty disc - my Kenpo X DVD only played til the last 15min - I just emailed them and they sent me a new one right away no questions.
  • Hailz1986
    Hailz1986 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Which Tae Bo workout are you doing? I have two of the older ones which I do, and these are pretty good on the knees. I have had 4 knee surgerys on my right knee in the past year, and this is one thing I have been able to do the majority of my healing time.
  • cdl8
    cdl8 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have really bad knees as well. Had surgery and also the halagon injections. I've been doing Turbo fire and it's great on my knees. Some of the jumping I stay away from but I love it!!! I also had found that puttinh ice on my knee for 10 min after an intense workout really helps a lot!!!
  • aschultz9
    Options
    I am a runner also, with genetics giving me "bad" knees also. Both parents have had knee replacements. As long as I keep my muscles strong that support my knees running doesn't generally bother them, other than in extreme temps. But I cannot do the lunges and jumping in dvd's at all..kills me and I can't walk after.
    I have a bike that I currently am riding inside due to weather (I bought the thing you hook it up to indoors), and I have an elliptical that doesn't bother me knees..though it's incredibly boring. Boxing type stuff doesn't usually bother my knees either.