First Weigh in

Options
Hi Everybody!
I started MFP on Tues 2-15-11. So far I am still really motivated and excited. Seeing the calories add up while eating but go down from exercise is really beneficial. I think I have done very well so far. I was getting really excited to weigh in. I figure I would weigh in every Monday. Problem: I set my goals for a loss of two pounds a week - healthy, right? but now I am afraid of that first weigh in. If I've only lost 2 pounds, I've met my goal, but what a tiny, tiny amount in the overall scheme of things. I know each journey begins with a step, but I am afraid of the let down. My question: How long did all of you wait to weigh in that first time after starting here?

Replies

• kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself daily...some people think that's unhealthy... but I think it's making me be more accountable...

I've lost 55 lbs since I started my journey last August... I've got 50ish more to go... if I see that scale creep up even half a lb in a day, I really consider the exercie and food I ate the day before... so for me, it's about making sure I don't Gain again.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, every Friday. When I started MFP, I weighed in that following Friday. Regardless of what the scale says, it's about accountability. If you have an off week, don't worry about it. Just keep working hard and you'll reach your goals.

Also, I prefer weekly weigh-ins rather than daily. I know my weight fluctuates over the course of the week and prefer not to have to drive myself nuts on a day to day basis.
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    Slow weight loss is better for you in the long run :o) Instead of an instant change, you reteach your self how/when/why to eat and to exercise more often, less chance to gain it all back!

The first weigh in was exciting for me, the dramatic change in my daily activities and menu shocked my body and it responded well! I bet you'll have the same :)

Good Luck tomorrow :)

(make sure you step on the scale about the same time of day wearing the same amount of clothing--or none each time)
    (also, measure your inches so that weeks you may not change the scale's number, you may move those inches!!)
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I am doing a weight loss challenge with my church called "live to lose/ Bod4God. We weigh in every 2 weeks. I have my first weigh in tomorrow too!! I am just as nervous as you. In fact I have exercised obsessively today! 1-2 pounds a week is great! Stop and think how long it took to gain all the weight. I know for me, I started packing on the pounds with my first child...THAT WAS 23 YEARS AGO! :noway:

Be patient with yourself. Now if I can just do that for myself!

Best of luck tomorrow!
  • Higglyjiggly64
    Options
    Thanks For all the advice everyone. Especially about measuring inches. I decided to wait one more week before doing my first weigh in, but I am going to take neck/waist/thigh measurements today to start keeping track of those. Congrats to everyone for what they've accomplished so far and good luck on your journey to a healthier you!!!
  • leelee03
    leelee03 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I waited a few days the first time, I was just too anxious to see, lol! But now I weigh myself every sunday or monday. I've had a 1-2 pound drop most of my weigh-ins and two where I gained back a bit and then stayed the same...Every pound you loose is closer to your goal, I'm always excited to post and look at my little meter to see that I have even fewer pounds to loose : ) Everyone I've met here is really encouraging too which helps a lot. Celebrate every victory no matter how small, because they add up to winning the war : D
  • johngeorgimus
    johngeorgimus Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi. I read your story and I think it sounds exactly like myself. You CAN stay motivated by just losing that small amount each week you will get to your target and that is the safest and healthiest way to get there. 2lb per week = 1 st every seven weeks. Thats over 7 st a year or an amazing 52lb!!!!

Keep going you are doing great. Think of it as saving a life! YOURS!

Good luck.

Johngeorgimus.
  • KatieLeigh1984
    Options
    My first weekly weigh in was today. I started last Monday, the 14th and in one week lost 5.8 pounds! I know that as time progresses the weight will come off slower and that is okay. I am trying not to pay so much attention to the scale and pay more attention to my clothes getting loser and having to buy new pants that aren't a size 20!
  • Higglyjiggly64
    Options
    Thanks again for the additional supportive words and advice. You guys are all so right. I have to focus on the fact that I AM eating healthier, getting exercise to keep me strong as I get older, and hopefully slim down a bit to look decent in my clothes. I really do feel better. Tomorrow I will have done this for one week. That's staying committed for 6 days longer than I have for any other attempt at a lifestyle change. That's a victory right there! Take care everyone!!