Who else likes oatbran?

Options
I went through a phase of having it every morning. I don't know if it did me any favours but who has found some benefits from eating oatbran? And do you have it on it's own or with fruit, syrups, etc.? Also, Oatmeal vs. Oatbran?!

Replies

• Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    While they are similar in the calorie and carb department, oat bran boasts more fiber and protein per serving size than its friend oatmeal. This morning I added a scoop of protein powder to my oatbran. I also like to add almond butter and fresh berries.

Some people eat quick oats or the nasty processed stuff in the packets. It has so much sugar!! I much prefer oatbran or steel cut oats. I try to eat it a few times a week.
  • sabichu
    Options
    While they are similar in the calorie and carb department, oat bran boasts more fiber and protein per serving size than its friend oatmeal. This morning I added a scoop of protein powder to my oatbran. I also like to add almond butter and fresh berries.

Some people eat quick oats or the nasty processed stuff in the packets. It has so much sugar!! I much prefer oatbran or steel cut oats. I try to eat it a few times a week.

Nice! I always find that blueberries and banana go so well with oatbran. I've already planned to have it tomorrow :D
  • sabichu
    Options
    Annnd sometimes I add vanilla or honey to my oatbran, or even a bit of low cal cocoa <3 yum.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    speaking of bran (dont meant to change the subject) but do any of you know the best bran cereal? i like raisin bran but dont know how good it is for you... is there a healthier choice thats not absolutely disgusting?
  • I love how it helps my digestion! I sometimes use it to bake with as well, along with some ground flaxseed. It's delicious in healthy muffins! One day I had some apples that were not crunchy anymore so, I did a mixed a wheat flour/bran and made a baked apple mixture. For a southwest girl who eats tons of Mexican food (which has tons of cheese & carbs that messes with my digestion) bran helps keep me regular:P
  • sabichu
    Options
    I love how it helps my digestion! I sometimes use it to bake with as well, along with some ground flaxseed. It's delicious in healthy muffins! One day I had some apples that were not crunchy anymore so, I did a mixed a wheat flour/bran and made a baked apple mixture. For a southwest girl who eats tons of Mexican food (which has tons of cheese & carbs that messes with my digestion) bran helps keep me regular:P

I've tried making oatbran chocolate cookies. They were yummy!! You do know you'll have to share these recipes for muffins :p
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To the poster for
    "speaking of bran (dont meant to change the subject) but do any of you know the best bran cereal? i like raisin bran but dont know how good it is for you... is there a healthier choice thats not absolutely disgusting? "

Buy a box of bran-flakes, not coated with sugar like the one you mentioned, and some plain ol' raisins. Add the raisins you want to your bowl, be it 1/8 cup or 1/4 cup... you're skipping the added sugar from the white frosting on them at least. Bowl of actual bran flakes goes a long way.

Do it for Special K and others too, I always see the special K red berries etc but it's something like double the price of a bigger box of plain ol' special K. I've already got blueberries, raspberries and strawberries in the freezer so I just buy the plain stuff and add my own berries.
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    speaking of bran (dont meant to change the subject) but do any of you know the best bran cereal? i like raisin bran but dont know how good it is for you... is there a healthier choice thats not absolutely disgusting?

I don't know where you are from but in Australia we have a high-bran version of "Weet Bix" which is basically these little rectangular bricks of wheat, bran and a tiny bit of desiccated coconut. They are great! I have mine with whole milk and water (2/3 cup 50/50 ratio). So yummy, and the slight nuttiness is wonderful! A 40g serve (2 bricks) is 143 cals.
    You could probably make it yourself, but I like that these are in brick form, which makes measuring so easy.