Any runners trying the newer lightweight training shoes?

Options
I'm a heavier runner and have typically worn a pretty substantial shoe, more for cushioning than pronation. But it feels like they weight a million pounds lately when I go to run. I haven't built up high mileage recently though I ran greater distances in the past, accumulating some ITB pain that rears its head from time to time. I've tried to move to a more midfoot strike instead of such a heavy heel strike to see if it feels easier to run, but I think the shoe I'm wearing makes it harder to accomplish. Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, I dunno! Is it worth giving a lightweight, flexible shoe a try? I want to feel lighter when I run!

Replies

• LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am all about the lightweight minimalist shoes... and I run a lot! However, they wear out about 150 miles faster, that is the only downfall...
  • vballer21
    Options
    I just bought the nike free's I've been seeing advertised on tv. I was looking for a new running shoe so gave them a try. Honestly, they're the best running shoe I've ever had. It's meant to simulate barefoot running, and the sole has a footprint on it...you can run with or without socks. They are so flexible and feels like you're running barefoot, with the benefit of actually having a little support. You do have to start slow and not jump into using these..your feet are used to better stabilization, and won't be as strong in these. Nike claims your feet and leg muscles will be stronger in these shoes than other typical running shoes though. I definitely recommend them!!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My trainer said the less cushioning between you and the ground the better.

"How thick are the soles of your running shoes? When you wear shoes with big thick soft soles it completely disrupts the timing pulses of the ground reaction forces going through the kinetic chain. This can disrupt the body's ability to store and release energy."

My bro swears by his Nike Free shoes. He is trying to get me to buy a pair lol
    They are close to barefoot running.
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm up for trying them. I've heard tons of great things about the Nike Free shoes too and the idea behind the better connection with the running surface intrigues me. I think I may have to bite.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I run in Nike Frees or Vibrams.

Weight loss can change your gait, so it might be worth having your running style reassessed if you've lost a lot of weight.

I know someone who was running in Brooks Beasts when he was 350lb+ (and he really needed that much motion control at the time), but now he's lost 200lb in weight he runs in a mild stability shoe. Basically because there is less weight on impact his arches collapse much less and he runs differently now.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    If you do opt to try a minimalist shoe, go easy on breaking them in though especially if you're normally a heel striker.

Minimalist shoes automatically push you on your forefoot. A much better running style, but your calves may come to bite you if you go out and just knock out ten miles in them... :bigsmile:
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks that's a great idea. At the very least I'll have the people at the running store look at me tonight. I think my arches changed after having kids, too. I know I went up a half size in my shoes and I heard that it's that your arch flattens. I don't know if that's true but I wonder!