Kettlebells / Kettlercise

Options
OK so I've recently started Kettlercise classes at my local gym and to say I'm addicted is an understatement!

I'm really, really keen to purchase a cast iron kettle and a DVD to work out too at home but I'm not sure which brand of kettle is best and what DVD works you the hardest!

Any ideas? All suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Replies

• weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    BUMP. Anyone know of any DVDs?!
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I bought a 25 pound kettlebell at ****s Sporting Goods and it came with a DVD. I haven't used it though. You can find a lot of kettlebell workouts online that are probably better than DVD's. At www.irontamer.com you can get a free copy of 101 Kettlebell workouts emailed to you. There are some terrific workouts on there. If you do kettlebells right, you can get a terrific workout in about 30 minutes.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    OK so I've recently started Kettlercise classes at my local gym and to say I'm addicted is an understatement!

I'm really, really keen to purchase a cast iron kettle and a DVD to work out too at home but I'm not sure which brand of kettle is best and what DVD works you the hardest!

Any ideas? All suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Take a look at dragondoor.com They have a women's starter kit.

Hope this helps,
    Stu
  • kadye
    Options
    I guess they thought I was saying a dirty word. Also I meant that I hadn't used the DVD. I've used the kettlebell a lot.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has a kettlebell workout called Shred it with Weights. I bought a kettlebell at Walmart - Danskin brand - that had a DVD with it.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    myomytv.com has some really good kettlebell/bodyweight workouts :flowerforyou:
  • fitmom4ever
    Options
    I just got the Shred it with Weights DVD & plan on starting it tomorrow. Previewing it today, I must say it looks pretty hard. I don't have a kettlebell yet tho, I was just going to use a dumbbell. Can anyone tell me the difference between a dumbbell and a kettlebell (besides the shape) and if there will be a large difference in doing the DVD without one vs with one?
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the infomercial on Kettleworx? I would love to own this...but I don't.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    its fine to use a dumbell for most stuff. I use DB's for swings, snatches etc. No issues.
  • Wandami
    Wandami Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the Danskin 8lb kettlebell and DVD from WalMart. I'm on week 2 and I love it. Much less awkward than a dumbell for me anyways. :)
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of dumbells that i use although i don't have kettleballs. I guess you can do different exercises with each but i would be interested to know which would be better to use?
  • aschultz9
    Options
    I have the Jillian Micheals Shred video and a 10lb kettleball from Target.
    I def feel it after doing this workout on level 2. (In fact, I think I will do this today since a xtrain day for me).
    I tried with a regular dumbell weight, and find the kettleball more effective.
  • kadye
    Options
    Please look up some you tube videos of swings, snatches, etc. before you do the Jillian Micheals kettlebell DVD. Do Not do swings like she does on the DVD. Her form is terrible. You can really hurt your back with kettlebells. Ideally, you should have someone who is kettlebell certified check out your form before starting, but there are some great videos on youtube with instructions. My favorite is Lauren Brooks. Just put her name in the search and all kinds of instructional videos come up.
  • RussianLynx
    Options
    Kettlebells are amazing!

Deciding which one to buy depends on your needs. If you're working out on a hard surface, you may want one of the ones with the vinyl coating so that you don't scratch/damage the floor when you set the kettlebell down.

As far as DVDs, I've ordered two Bob Harper ones from Amazon (they had great reviews), but they haven't arrived yet. I've been working out of the Pavel Tsatsouline (he introduced kettlebells to the US in the nineties) book Enter the Kettlebell and just working on swings and snatches is really kicking my butt.

Even if all you do at home is swings, you will see so much improvement in your cardiovascular and muscular fitness.

Also, if you're going to be doing a lot of kettlebells, I'd recommend getting a heart rate monitor so you can accurately track your callories burned.

Good luck!