The Lent Thread

Options
The start of lent is coming up in a couple weeks. I've never done the giving up something for lent before so I thought I would start this year. If anyone wants to join in, share what you will be giving up for lent and keep us updated on your progress, struggles, etc.

I will be giving up soda. I love soda, and I'm seriously addicted to it! I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little scared about giving it up for 40 days... but I know it will be good for me... and maybe I won't drink so much from then on (or maybe just quit all together!).

What are you giving up??

Replies

• bex22mcn
    Options
    Ooooo when does lent start? I will give up diet coke with you!
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    yes I am in!! I was thinking about that and how to incorporate my weightloss goals into a offering!
    Cindy
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    I've given up most things as it is...no chocolate, haven't drunk soda in ages, no chippies, no junk food, what is left to give up? Maybe I could go the opposite and for 40 days DO something like make sure I go for a walk as well as my gym or something. Hmmm will have to think about this one. Thanks for giving me something to think about......and good luck for giving up your soda.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Being a priest, I'm more about taking on something that moves us closer to God! So, I'm going to take on doing something outdoors everyday - weather permitting!

Ash Wed is the 9th of March....

I'm a little worried about the Pancake Dinner my parish has cooking up - gonna have to watch it since I'm one of the pancake flippers!
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'll try to give up alcohol! It is definitely my indulgence weakness and it also causes me to eat more. I'm getting ready for my first BIG race (10 miles) that is coming up in 10 weeks, and I need to A)lose weight and B) stay motivated. Alcohol is stopping me from doing both!!! I'm going to start now, but I'll make the attempt at doing it through Lent. Might have to indulge for the St. Patty's Day parade though...

PS- I'm not telling people in my life bc I bet they won't believe me!! It's our little secret!
    Thanks for starting this thread!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I haven't decided how I'm going to observe Lent yet. Like Kiwijay says, I might DO something instead of giving up something. The only real vice I have at the moment is the internet, but I'm not willing to give that up because that would include MFP, and I need to log my food and such. And no, I can't just go to *one* website and stay off the others. :laugh:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I've given up most things as it is...no chocolate, haven't drunk soda in ages, no chippies, no junk food, what is left to give up? Maybe I could go the opposite and for 40 days DO something like make sure I go for a walk as well as my gym or something. Hmmm will have to think about this one. Thanks for giving me something to think about......and good luck for giving up your soda.

There you go... make a conscious effort to do something for YOU every day... a walk, workout. etc. I like it!

Lent starts March 9th. :flowerforyou:
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I give up sweets every year for lent. No cookies, chocolate, candy, sugar, desserts.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've given up some foodie thing for Lent each year for the last few years. One year it was fried foods, another it was ice-cream, chocolate, etc. This year I'm giving up white flour. I think it will be a challenge, but I think it will be a good awareness exercise. I'm still going to eat 100% whole grain flours, but no white flour--so that cuts out most junk. Booo. If I need to, I always give myself Sunday as a free day, if I really have a craving...it isn't techincally part of the 40 days of Lent. Good luck everyone!
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I am not sure what I will give up. I've basically eliminated diet soda from my diet - only have it once every few days. I need to think of something that will make me either a better or a fitter person.
  • derbygirl90
    Options
    Iam giving up Whiskey! This is going to be tough since St. Patricls day and my birthday are during lent!!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Being a priest, I'm more about taking on something that moves us closer to God!

Amen to that!

To tell the truth, I was thinking about trying a bread & water fast one day a week, but since I've been counting calories and getting into a fitness regime (exercise, jogging), I have to admit that I'm a bit concerned that it might throw my metabolism off, or at least, confuse my body and hinder my ability to lose weight in a healthy way. Any ideas on whether a fast would have any effect, negative or positive?

In terms of the more typical "I'm gonna give up ..." ideas, I've already pretty much cut out snacks like chips and such, and cookies and candy, and alcohol. Sure, I treat myself with a little something here and there, when I have the extra calories to spare, but still, giving them up now would be more like additional diet life style change, instead of the *spiritual* life style change that Lent should tend to encourage.

Oh, choices...!
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    Iam giving up Whiskey! This is going to be tough since St. Patricls day and my birthday are during lent!!

Yeah Lent has all kinds of stuff in the middle of it this year. Our Catholic school carnival is smack in the middle of Lent - not sure what they will serve on Friday night this year - normally it's all Filipino food.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Being a priest, I'm more about taking on something that moves us closer to God!

Amen to that!

To tell the truth, I was thinking about trying a bread & water fast one day a week, but since I've been counting calories and getting into a fitness regime (exercise, jogging), I have to admit that I'm a bit concerned that it might throw my metabolism off, or at least, confuse my body and hinder my ability to lose weight in a healthy way. Any ideas on whether a fast would have any effect, negative or positive?

One day a week won't have a bad effect on your body--it is a prolonged very-low calorie diets that can mess things up for you!

I am going to give up nuts. I have been eating WAY too many of them lately!

I am also going to commit to a daily time of reflection/meditation--something I used to do but have gotten out of the habit of doing.
  • MoM2LayLa09
    Options
    I'm giving up all red meat and all alcohol !!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I love everyone's goals! I think I'm going to add on to mine to take a little time out everyday for ME, whether its a workout or just a few minutes to myself to relax, reflect, and meditate. I don't really ever take time for me anymore so this is a great chance to get in the habit.
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think I might have to give up bagels for Lent. Even the BagelThins.
  • kaehlere
    Options
    I'll give up the FREE freshly baked cookies my work provides to its employees everyday.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,088 Member
    Options
    Good idea, a time of rebirth.

I like the idea of outside exercise for Lent.

Food. I'll stop eating in front of the TV or computer.

40 days to a good habit, right?

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    While I'm not Catholic I always make a commitment to God during Lent.

I've given up plenty every year.

A few years ago it was coffee...and for the time in the morning that I usually drank my coffee I would spend it in prayer.

This year I have yet to decide what to give up. It might be a tv program or sweets.