HELP!!! Eating Fewer Carbs Per Dr's Orders But No Longer Lo

Options
Getting reallllllllyyyyy frustrated with this lower carb, being hungry all time crap. Losing nothing since it was lowered, despite eating a bit more fat and protein. Hard to lose if I'm always hungry!!!!!!!!!!! Wasn't this hungry when I wasn't tracking the carbs and I was losing. Tracking per drs. orders to eat 1800-2000 cals and not eat over 250 g of carbs. I am gluten, dairy and soy free so there are some challenges there. Suggestions???

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    250g of carbs is a pretty big amount. What foods are you struggling with?
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I agree, that sounds like a lot to me - I shoot for less than 100g per day!

Best I can tell you is protein really helps curb my hunger. Do you eat eggs? Hard boiled eggs are a great snack :) Good luck! xoxo
  • ladysvs
    Options
    I don't eat gluten of dairy either! Nuts and spaghetti squash are my bff's! Spaghetti squash is very filling and very low in calories and carbs. You can eat it with anything!
  • loveshannonmarie
    loveshannonmarie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Get a low calorie protein powder.. I use the Jillian Michaels one it is only 100 cal/scoop with water.. it is good between or with meals to help you feel full and give you energy :-)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Wow, 250? I don't think I EVER eat that much and I don't try not to eat carbs! lol Maybe make your diary public so we can give you suggestions?
  • katzplay62
    Options
    Low carb usually means to 50-100 per day range. I try to keep mine under 50. See also the thread "Are Carbs More Addictive Than Cocaine?" for more info on why you're still hungry.
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    250g is actually quite a good amount of carbs. Your doctor probably wanted you to cut the processed carbs, like white bread and white sugar. Are you eating enough fat? Are you eating enough at all? At 250g, you can still have things like whole grain bread, brown rice, and the like.
  • tammydspice
    Options
    Fruit and veg!!! Water, nuts, teas, lean protein. I have no trouble filling myself being carb and dairy free. I do give myself a treat every so often, the past little bit, Luna bars, still only 20grams of carbs. I had to stop even considering bread, pasta, cereals etc as food and I am well over it now!! I have lost 37lbs and my hubby about 60lbs since Oct!!!

Keep working at it!!
  • kelliebug2421
    Options
    it also depends on the person... according to my plan i can have 225 carbs...i dont eat that many but keeping it at 50 as some people mentioned can be very hard especially if you are eating fruits and stuff. and if you are eating more fat to make up for not eating as many carbs then that can be contributing to you not losing weight. Also feeling hungry can also be mistaken for being thirsty. go drink a glass of water and you will feel fuller. fruits are very high in carbs but i guess they can be good so when people say they are carb free but are eating fruit arent really telling the truth.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Are your carbs just starches, or milk, yogurt, and fruit as well? One serving is 15 grams of carbs, so 250g is 16 or so servings. That would be 3 fruits, a few servings of dairy, and you would still have 10 starch servings for the day. This is at the upper end of the range for people not trying to lose weight (6-11 servings per day). Maybe look at portions? My step son is diabetic, so I am a pro at counting carbs- from all sources. Make sure you're getting a good balance of lean protein and healthy fats, as well as good fiber. My step son will get really hungry if he has a meal low in fiber soon after he is done eating.

If your carbs are being monitored for diabetic reasons, it's possible that the hungry feeling is coming from your blood sugar being lower. Your body gets used to a higher blood sugar and when you sugar begins to drop (even to a healthy level), your body starts sending messages to your brain that your blood sugar is dropping and you need to eat. It may take a while for that hungry feeling to stop (if this is the reason), but your body will acclimate to the healthier blood sugar and you won't feel so hungry.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have read some good stuff about a bodybuilder's style diet of 55% calories from carbs, 30% from protein, 15% from fat. 250 g of carbs is exactly 55% of 1800 calories and not a bad place to start. There are a group of people who are carb sensitive and need to go to 45% calories from carbs. Most people aren't though. You may want to up the fat and lower the protein especially if you aren't lifting or exercising.

Maybe you could avoid hunger by eating more frequently (about every three hours) and never eating carbs by themselves. Eating protein with your carbs reduces the insulin response and fills you up more. Also, if your 250 grams of carbs are all simple carbs with no fibrous carbs, you will not be as full after the meal.

Good luck!
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm following the dr's recommendation, which is 1800-2000 cals and no more than 250 g of carbs. I'm not looking to go completely low carb but am eating lots of fruits and veggies and little meat as I try to get my cholesterol levels normal. I can't eat gluten, dairy or soy so that is a challenge. I definitely need something to keep me more full. Here's what I've had so far today and stilllllll hungry.

Breakfast
    1 Scrambled Egg Whites - Egg
    Eggs - Scrambled (whole egg), 1 large
    Homemade - Collard Greens, Stir-Fried, 1 cup
    Yoplait - Yo Crunch Low Fat Greek Yogurt- Strawberry, 1 container

Lunch
    Wild rice - Cooked, 1 cup
    Generic - Blackened Chicken Breast, 1 chicken breast
    Archer Farms - Black Bean & Corn Salsa Medium, 2 Tbsp (28 g)
    Allens - Veg-All Steam Supreme (Broccoli Florets, Cauliflower, Whole Baby Carrots), 2/3 Cup Cooked
    Homemade - Pico De Gallo, 1/4 cup
    Dinner
    Whole Foods Market - Layered Vegetable Enchiladas, 1 Enchilada
    Low Carb Bible - Mexican Tortilla Soup, 1 3/4 c. with tortilla strips
    Dannon - All Natural Nonfat Yogurt - Plain, 0.25 cup

Banana - Medium, 1 banana
    Granny Smith Apple - Medium Green, 1 apple
    Smucker's - All Natural Creamy Peanut Butter No Salt, 2 tbps
    Lundberg - Brown Rice Rice Cakes-Gluten Free/Salt Free/Vegan, 1 cake

289 carbs and I am STILL hungry, despite plenty of fiber.

I do 90 minutes of cardio/strength training daily as well.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    Get a low calorie protein powder.. I use the Jillian Michaels one it is only 100 cal/scoop with water.. it is good between or with meals to help you feel full and give you energy :-)

I have issues with protein powders because I don't eat soy or gluten and many of the powders contain those items.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    250g is actually quite a good amount of carbs. Your doctor probably wanted you to cut the processed carbs, like white bread and white sugar. Are you eating enough fat? Are you eating enough at all? At 250g, you can still have things like whole grain bread, brown rice, and the like.

I don't eat processed carbs, even gluten free I don't eat processed carbs other than cereal.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    I have read some good stuff about a bodybuilder's style diet of 55% calories from carbs, 30% from protein, 15% from fat. 250 g of carbs is exactly 55% of 1800 calories and not a bad place to start. There are a group of people who are carb sensitive and need to go to 45% calories from carbs. Most people aren't though. You may want to up the fat and lower the protein especially if you aren't lifting or exercising.

Maybe you could avoid hunger by eating more frequently (about every three hours) and never eating carbs by themselves. Eating protein with your carbs reduces the insulin response and fills you up more. Also, if your 250 grams of carbs are all simple carbs with no fibrous carbs, you will not be as full after the meal.

Good luck!

Yep I eat mini-meals and don't eat carbs by themselves. All I know is that when I was focusing on getting more fibers vs. lowering carbs I wasn't hungry, was losing, was (and AM) exercising 90 minutes daily and not hungry. Such a mystery to me. I will add some nuts into the mix and see what happens.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I'm following the dr's recommendation, which is 1800-2000 cals and no more than 250 g of carbs. I'm not looking to go completely low carb but am eating lots of fruits and veggies and little meat as I try to get my cholesterol levels normal. I can't eat gluten, dairy or soy so that is a challenge. I definitely need something to keep me more full. Here's what I've had so far today and stilllllll hungry.

Breakfast

Lunch
    Allens - Veg-All Steam Supreme (Broccoli Florets, Cauliflower, Whole Baby Carrots), 2/3 Cup Cooked
    Dinner

From this it looks like protein and good fats would be pretty low. More lean meat, nuts, natural oils, fish. As someone else pointed out, a little more balance in macros (protein/fats/carbs) with each meal/snack.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    it also depends on the person... according to my plan i can have 225 carbs...i dont eat that many but keeping it at 50 as some people mentioned can be very hard especially if you are eating fruits and stuff. and if you are eating more fat to make up for not eating as many carbs then that can be contributing to you not losing weight. Also feeling hungry can also be mistaken for being thirsty. go drink a glass of water and you will feel fuller. fruits are very high in carbs but i guess they can be good so when people say they are carb free but are eating fruit arent really telling the truth.

I drink 12-16 glasses of water daily so I don't think thirst is the issue. I eat tons of fruits and veggies with each meal and as snacks. Theoretically, I am doing everything right but I'm tired of being hungry. So I will up the protein. My diary is public so it's free for the looking.
  • TheGraciousPantry
    Options
    I posted this on the feed, but I'll post it again here too.

EAT YOUR VEGGIES!!! Seriously, if you eat at least 2 cups of veggies before any meal, you'll fill up, get your fiber AND stay full longer.

Also, be sure you're eating every 2 hours. It keeps the blood sugar from swinging which keeps the hunger at bay.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options

Breakfast

Lunch
    Dinner

From this it looks like protein and good fats would be pretty low. More lean meat, nuts, natural oils, fish. As someone else pointed out, a little more balance in macros (protein/fats/carbs) with each meal/snack.

Thank you!!! I'm eating well I think, but missing something and I think that's likely the ticket. Thank you everyone! It is appreciated.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    I posted this on the feed, but I'll post it again here too.

EAT YOUR VEGGIES!!! Seriously, if you eat at least 2 cups of veggies before any meal, you'll fill up, get your fiber AND stay full longer.

Also, be sure you're eating every 2 hours. It keeps the blood sugar from swinging which keeps the hunger at bay.

I will up those veggies to 2 cups rather than the usual 1 c serving I do now and see if that makes the difference because this is getting old!!!