Chest pain

Options
Every time I exercise I get a light bit of chest pain. Is this normal? Anyone else experience it?

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    would you elaborate a little on "chest pain" ?
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I agree. Where is the chest pain. What kind of feeling is it? If you check your pulse is it normal for the ammount of activity you are doing. What kind of exercise are you doing when this occurs?
  • jalovec
    Options
    I don't think it's normal. Maybe you should get it checked out.
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    See a dr. Better to be safe.
  • bushman124
    bushman124 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My personal advice, which is not based on any kind of medical credentials, would be to immediately stop exercising until you go to your doctor and tell him this info so he can do the necessary tests to clear you for exercising. Until you get an appointment, you can still lose weight by sticking to your alloted calories. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Is this pain from working hard--like a burning catching your breath feeling, or is it a pressure pain that goes somewhere? It is normal to if you are working out intensely, feel difficulty catching your breath, and that side ache feeling. However it is not normal to get pressure pain, or sharp pain in your chest. If you feel lightheaded or like you are going to pass out you should stop and chat with a doctor.
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with your doctor, otherwise try stretching you upper body before you get on the treadmill. I used to get chest pains which have magically disappeared with a little weight loss, every time I went to my doctor he said it's not your heart just your musclse in that area....Keep up the good work!!!
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My advice, as a cardiac nurse, is to not exercise any more until you are seen by a cardiologist. That pain could very well be indicative of ischemia, which is the heart muscle not getting enough oxygen, or it could be nothing at all. The only way to know for sure is to get checked out. I don't know your history, but if it included being overweight and having high cholesterol, this there could very well be some type of blockage. Please get checked out. Ischemic chest pain usually occurs with exercise and goes away after, as the oxygen demands decrease. It's the hearts way of telling us that something isn't right.
  • ashleykurz
    Options
    The pain is sharp, but there isn't any pressure. It's like heartburn or the feeling you get when you breathe in really cold weather. I do have trouble catching my breath sometimes, as I am a smoker. It doesn't travel anywhere-- just sharp pain in the center of my chest. It stops abruptly as soon as I slow down or stop exercising. I've been doing zumba videos.
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Cardiac pain in women does not fit the "typical" profile. The classic chest pressure traveling down the left arm is mainly a male thing. Some women only get nauseous, some just feel indigestion type pain. I took care of a woman last week that had a tooth ache started vomiting. She passed out and her husband brought her to the hospital and she was having a heart attack. Being a smoker puts your heart under even more stress.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a cramp from working out. I used to get these along the side of my chest and down my side when I would play soccer and run a lot.