Diet Soda - a bad thing?

Options
I love diet pepsi. I guess I drink quite a bit of it - a few glasses a day. Is that a bad thing? Is it something I need to try to give up? It seems to really help me; feels like a treat after a meal. Would love your opinions on the stuff! x

Replies

• mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    Options
    I say NO to ALL soda.
  • 8bitcake
    Options
    Well, theres no sugar and no calories in it. But the aspartame isn't good for you in that amount of it. I have one glass every few days.
    (I was a former addict)
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I refer to Diet Coke as my former lover. Every now and again, we have another romp... it's so scandalous!!

In response to your question, from a caloric standpoint, no, it's not bad. But it does contain a lot of sodium and it prevents what could be more water due to it's caffeine content and just the pure fact that you're choosing that and not water. Then, there is the debate about any kind of artificial sweetener but that's your own call.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    some say its bad some say its not.I drink it im fine.
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    I don't drink any soda, I'm a water girl luckily I really enjoy it though, some don't
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love diet coke. The only problem I have with it is all the sodium so to get my diet drink in I am drinking diet rite sodas. The white grape and tangerine are very good. Have not tried the others yet. They have 0 calories, fats, and sodium. So I think it works out to be a very good treat. Hope that helps.
  • amandakay23
    Options
    I just think about all the chemicals and unhealthy ingredients, can't be good! I have one about once a month or so now. I used to drink a diet soda everyday, now I am really working on a cleaner diet so have cut it out!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    My rules are...If it's consider 'JUNKfood' than...it's not goin' anywhere near my mouth or body...!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you should probably try to give it up. Soda isn't good for you, diet or otherwise. If you are going to drink something, shouldn't it be something that benefits you?

It's your call, though. If it makes you so happy, why not just cut down to a glass a day? As a treat, like.
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    I wouldn't drink it everyday. But every now and again I do love to drink a can of something diet -- or a regular one. I stick to tea and water mostly though.
  • Dancer4Lifee
    Options
    Absolutely do your best to omit it completely from your diet. Sodas (and especially diet sodas) are packed with harmful preservatives and ingredients that don't come near being food. It is so harmful to your system because it is jumbling up your hypothalmus' release of hormones and tears apart your esophagus. I know a man who drank diet soda every day and his esophagus literally split down the middle. Good luck in your weightloss, and hopefully you can cut out soda(:
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Well, diet soda isn't very "good" for you, but you're not going to hinder your fat loss goals by drinking it. Sodium makes you retain more water weight, but that shouldn't be a problem if you drink a lot of water, it'll all flush out of your system anyway. I see no reason why you can't drink a lot of water and still drink diet soda. I drink 250+ oz. of water a day, and still love my diet cherry pepsi!

Besides, water weight is not what you want to be losing anyway.
  • benztim6876
    benztim6876 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Kill the Diet soda all together. Get some of those little 8oz regualr soda's and drink 1 of those a day or every few days. Diet soda will cause you to keep the weight on if not gain it.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    It contains Aspartame which has been linked to several diseases.
    http://healthandsurvival.com/2008/01/20/the-dangers-of-diet-coke-pepsi-and-other-diet-foods/
    However it's still not proven, so it's your choice.

I personally don't drink it because I don't like the taste. That and the fact there is absolutely nothing good/ not chemically processed in it at all.
  • annakatc
    Options
    Well there was this uproar about diet soda in the last couple of weeks that it can make you at risk for strokes. However, according GMA's doctor (which I always believe full-heartedly <---sarcasm), the study that is making this claim was very lacking in methods.

Controversial studies aside, diet soda will make you crave more sweetness. Just like sugar itself will make you crave other sweet foods. The article below makes the point that diet sodas will dull your sense of sweet.

I personally love carbonated water. I chill it and squeeze some lime in it. I used to hate carbonated water, but that was back when I drank sugary drinks all the time. The soda water provides that carbonated kick and has the same filling effects of diet soda. Give it a try.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartHealth/diet-soda-linked-heart-attack-stroke-risk/story?id=12868269
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    personally, a couple glasses a day sounds like a lot. At the same time, I'm not against treats. Maybe wean yourself down to one treat glass a day, and maybe then down to 4oz. You may be limiting your healthy beverage intake by drinking pop and you also may be consuming an unhealthy amount of artificial sweetener.

I used to drink pop when I was younger, but now I basically can't touch the stuff. Sometimes I will drink it at a party like if it is cake and ice cream and pop or pizza and pop, or my husband may bring me an A&W every several months, but I will never go to the fridge or refrigerated section and pick one out myself as beverage of choice.
  • HerbieSue
    Options
    I say give it up too!! Not only are the artificial sweetners bad for you, but they are now discovering that the chemicals in the caramel coloring that is added is also harmful! WATER!!
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I apply the rule that most of us Americans fail to- moderation is the key. Even the best things for us are not good in large quantities. I used to always have a coca-cola in my hand now I'm reaching for water and only treat myself with a soda every now and then- If I need a" fix" and am high on calories I go for coke zero or diet dr pepper. Hehe we have our weaknesses
  • engaged
    Options
    Everything in moderation - I agree with the comment above, one every few days or week won't really affect you much. The phosphorus in the soda (diet or not) will pull calcium out of your bones, putting you at a higher risk for osteoporosis. Definitely cut back from the several a day even if only for this reason, you'll help yourself in the long run :-)
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    think about it this way, it can eat the rust clean off metal if you soak it in pepsi/coke, diet or otherwise, and anything that eats rust like that can't be good for the body. A drug is a drug is a drug, my wife was hooked on diet pepsi and went through wicked withdrawl symptoms when she got off it. Headaches, crankiness, etc and she has dropped over 50 pounds since, the question is are you willing to be hooked on aspartame and caffeine? In large doses it can stall a diet flat on its face, so why negate all the hard work you are putting in to lose the weight.