Gross Question for Experienced Runners

Options
So....when I jog/run...my mouth gets very "flemmy". I have to spit constantly and I find it inteferes with my breathing. Sorry...I know it's gross. :sick:

Tips?

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Continue to spit. When on my long runs, 6 / 7 miles I constantly spit and clear out my nose multiple times within an hour. It's just part of running.
  • jaimelynn913
    Options
    Same with me!! When I run I spit all the time, lol
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I usually have to start spitting around 4-5 miles and then do it every 5 minutes after. Just make sure there isn't someone just behind you!

**EDIT - as for "tips" - there isn't really much you can do. Don't let it "build-up" to the point that you are spitting a huge amount (gross I know), and it should interfere less with your breathing. A little bit of spit can actually cause you to exhale better (not suggesting permanently, but if you are taking in short breaths, doing that once in a while helps regulate me)
  • yoghurtand
    Options
    I don't understand, is it normal to have to spit? Can't you swallow?
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    thanks for the advice. glad to know i don't have some odd problem!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I constantly spit when I run and if it is cold outside or I run really long, I end up wiping snot with my shirt too! I have found that trying to swallow just makes it worse for me.
  • dkrioux
    dkrioux Posts: 144
    Options
    I have wondered the same thing, Noodle:) thanks for asking/sharing:) your spit:)
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    just another moment we've shared dk :blushing:

lmao
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Just wait until we teach you how to do "snot rockets". :wink: :bigsmile:
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I hate this issue! You are definitely not alone :)
  • ChickEata
    ChickEata Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So...I found this answer online...cuz I get this problem even when I just do a good cardio workout..

"People new to running usually spit quite a lot while running. its all part of the body or rather cardio conditioning that's taking place. Give it a few weeks and the spitting should decrease.
    Also having to spit is a good sign that your lungs/cardio system is being worked nicely. So it isnt necessarily a bad thing."
    :bigsmile: