She's turning me vegetarian!

Options
So... the thing I've noticed about dating a vegetarian...

I'm becoming one. I already ate very little meat.. and now, I'm noticing I have very little desire for it. I still eat it here and there, but for the most part its completely out of my diet. Yesterday for example I had eggs benedict, and before that I hadn't had meat for close to a week.

Any concerns I should watch out for? I get plenty of protein, and fiber.

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

I'm becoming one. I already ate very little meat.. and now, I'm noticing I have very little desire for it. I still eat it here and there, but for the most part its completely out of my diet. Yesterday for example I had eggs benedict, and before that I hadn't had meat for close to a week.

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    You should look for signs that you are also starting to walk , talk, and dress like her.
    And do NOT believe her when she tells you the aliens are coming to pick you up and ascend into the heavens, and do NOT drink the purple koolaid.

Otherwise, have fun! :tongue:
  • msarro
    Options
    True, but sadly its easier for me to just have food in the fridge we both can eat. Plus I don't plan to cut it out completely, I'm just eating very little of it these days.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    True, but sadly its easier for me to just have food in the fridge we both can eat. Plus I don't plan to cut it out completely, I'm just eating very little of it these days.

I think you are making an awesome boyfriend matt!!!

:drinker:

try to get lots of legumes and if you like that tofu stuff...(I DO NOT:sick: ) that's great too...does she eat eggs and cheese? those have protein too....

its good to eat your veggies....but I do like a nice little peice of chicken or fish now and then!:bigsmile: best of luck honey!
    hugs!
    Ali
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    My husband's a vegetarian - it sucks! :laugh:

Have fun! :drinker:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    My husband's a vegetarian - it sucks! :laugh:

Have fun! :drinker:

My hubby and I are meat-aterians.....I have actually been craving sausage soooo bad......

So....nope, no tips. Google vegeterian health and you should come up with some things to keep eating and what not.:flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    Options
    lol!
    I doubt I'll ever be 100% veggies only, I grew up in a hunting family and my parents would probably disown me. Seriously.

Even before we were going out I ate very little meat. It always got freezer burnt, was too high in calories, and for the same price of ground beef I could get 6 lbs of tofu at the chinese market. Not worth it since I was broke :laugh:

Oh well, for now I'm just gonna keep on keeping on. I'm making sure to get the nutes that I need, just wanted to make sure that there weren't specific vitamins I need that I may be missing!
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    My son has been a vegetarian for almost 2 years now and as far as we can tell he has suffered no ill effects from not eating meat. He is exceptionally healthy and has virtually no body fat.

This morning while driving to work I did hear on the news about a new study that Oxford University did on the effects of a meat free diet and they were concerned that people who do not eat meat are not getting enough Vitamin B12 which they believe leads to brain shrinkage, but the subjects were between the ages of 61 and 87 which leads me to wonder how much is due to lack of Vitamin B12 and how much is due to the natural progression of aging.
  • jcm476
    Options
    you'll be healthier if you do cut meat out of your diet. The healthiest diet is agreed by experts to be one with little or no meat. High cholesterol and saturated fat are what you are eating when you eat meat all the time. You can get your nutrients like protein more efficiently through plant based sources.

I'm a vegetarian so i think its great that you are seeing a change in your diet, and there is no reason that you cant eat vegetarian while in your home and have the occasional piece of meat when you go out to eat.

good luck :)
  • msarro
    Options
    My son has been a vegetarian for almost 2 years now and as far as we can tell he has suffered no ill effects from not eating meat. He is exceptionally healthy and has virtually no body fat.

This morning while driving to work I did hear on the news about a new study that Oxford University did on the effects of a meat free diet and they were concerned that people who do not eat meat are not getting enough Vitamin B12 which they believe leads to brain shrinkage, but the subjects were between the ages of 61 and 87 which leads me to wonder how much is due to lack of Vitamin B12 and how much is due to the natural progression of aging.

Well, there is also the issue that B12 is only found in animal based sources - meat, milk, eggs. It can be synthesized, but its prohibitively expensive so most companies don't bother. I take supplements plus drink milk and eat eggs :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    you'll be healthier if you do cut meat out of your diet. The healthiest diet is agreed by experts to be one with little or no meat. High cholesterol and saturated fat are what you are eating when you eat meat all the time. You can get your nutrients like protein more efficiently through plant based sources.

I'm a vegetarian so i think its great that you are seeing a change in your diet, and there is no reason that you cant eat vegetarian while in your home and have the occasional piece of meat when you go out to eat.

good luck :)

That is a HUGE generalization. Just cutting meat out doesn't make you healthier. There are a ton of vegetarian junk foods out there...Pop Tarts, Cheetos, etc. Whenever you remove an entire food group, you're putting yourself at risk for malnutrition unless you monitor all of your micronutrients.

I'd like to know just what cholesterol or saturated fat has ever done to anyone when eaten in normal amounts. All they've ever done for me is produce vital hormones and keep my cell membranes fluid. Eating them is NOT bad for your health.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Well, there is also the issue that B12 is only found in animal based sources - meat, milk, eggs. It can be synthesized, but its prohibitively expensive so most companies don't bother. I take supplements plus drink milk and eat eggs :)

It's also necessary for nerve function...that would be a bigger problem for vegans, though, since they eat no animal by-products.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options

God gave you cainine teeth and eyes in the front of your head for a reason.

If you translate the word vegetarian into any North American dialect... it means "bad hunter" :laugh: :tongue: :huh:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options

If you translate the word vegetarian into any North American dialect... it means "bad hunter" :laugh: :tongue: :huh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

:noway:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    You should look for signs that you are also starting to walk , talk, and dress like her.
    And do NOT believe her when she tells you the aliens are coming to pick you up and ascend into the heavens, and do NOT drink the purple koolaid.

Otherwise, have fun! :tongue:

:noway: :tongue:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

I was a veggi'an for over two years, I loved it. My son is a veggi'an as well.

I just go to the store and bulk up on fruits and veggies and wraps for the whole family. I like meat too, but I can do with out it at times.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    My husband actually asked me to stop cooking meat at home! I was happy about that, though I would rather he ate stuff I cooked than the crap he eats for lunch at restaurants.
    Morally, it's a hard argument to beat - if you care about the environment or animals.

As far as "studies on vegetarians" - just look at India. Most Hindus do not eat meat and some Buddhist as well.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Personaly ,, i never been feeling better then since ive stop the meats..
    physicaly and moraly...

i too date a vegatarian.... i was eating meat when we started dating and i made sure i did for a little while to make sure that it wasnt a pre requirement for me to change. it wasnt and he didnt care,
    i changed because i wanted too, it made sense to me to not eat meat

have fun with it !! i know that i loved trying all the new stuff when i started out, i couldnt believe how easy it was and how much there was to learn about it.
    i know that it made me feel closer to my bf that we are in this together, we re part of the same team.

studies show that vegetarian live longer in general then meat eater,,
    its true that you can eat crap even though your a vegetarian,, but vegetarian tends to be label reader and more councious of whats in their food in the first place,, trust me, when you read the label of cake packaging to see if there's lard in it and you realize that whats in that cake is only sugar covered crap, it turns you off.

may