No loss - Gained!

Would anyone have some words of support for me out there? I kept my caloric intake to 1200 (sometimes more if I exercised a lot, but never less) and exercised (treadmill walking) every day this last week and instead of losing the 2 lbs like the site said i would, i gained 2.5! I'm so frustrated. My water intake is up, from what it was before I started this, I'm making sure I'm eating healthier foods, yet a gain. ugh. I'm so upset with myself.

Replies

• nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Would anyone have some words of support for me out there? I kept my caloric intake to 1200 (sometimes more if I exercised a lot, but never less) and exercised (treadmill walking) every day this last week and instead of losing the 2 lbs like the site said i would, i gained 2.5! I'm so frustrated. My water intake is up, from what it was before I started this, I'm making sure I'm eating healthier foods, yet a gain. ugh. I'm so upset with myself.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    I feeeeel your pain! I stepped on the scale this morning and was up 2 lbs after having lost 7 initially.
    I know that we could be retaining water, or not having enough fiber to *get rid* of all the food we have in there...I know that women's bodies go up and down with water retention around ovulation and our periods...blah blah blah...lol but just know that you need to keep at it and you're doing great!
    I was VERY discouraged this morning when I stepped on the scale, but I KNOW I did everything right and that next week will probably reflect it. :smile:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    The scale is a powerful thing! Especially for women when they are cycling. IMO go with how your clothes feel and how you feel in general...I bet you look great...and it sounds as if you are working hard! Keep up the good work!!

dd:bigsmile:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    It's probably muscle gain. I wasn't gaining but I stopped losing and realized that I was probably not eating enough! I have been on a plateau for about 3 weeks now. My calories were at 1,200 or there about, but then I learned about making sure you don't eat below your BMR because your body needs that many calories just to function if you were laying in bed all day! So if you eat less than that your body may be in starvation mode and hanging on to whatever it can get. I'm trying to eat more this week to see if I can get out of this slump.
    In your case it could very well be muscle gain especially if you haven't worked out a lot before. Hang in there! Muscle burns fat! Hope this helps!
  • Najah5150
    Najah5150 Posts: 170
    Keep at it and don't give up. I too have a tendancy to get upset if I gained and I KNOW I was working hard and doing what I'm supposed to. I was told not to be obsessed and focused on the scale. Pay attentin to the way your clothes fit.

Stick to it....
    Naj:flowerforyou:
  • erin83070
    erin83070 Posts: 78 Member
    Try not to be too discouraged! :happy: I'm actually going to try to not weight myself more than once a month...that's a pretty lofty goal especially when we all want to see results for all the hard work!Working so hard, it's difficult to imagine that at some point, we're most likely going to gain even if it's just a pound or two. Try to remember that a scale is just a tool.

I've thought about this long and hard ,as I beleive most people do weigh in once a week. I have a pretty slow metabolism (I think) and for me, I think weekly weigh ins may be discouraging. I actually don't even own a scale, I'm going to have to go weigh in at my freind's house.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Ah the age old problem, can any one of us say that we have not had this same thing happen to us? NO, we have all had it happen.
    Hey even last week in the Biggest loser with th 6 hour training and the nutritionist there. A couple of people still gained or did not lose anything.
    Keep at it, You will get there. :flowerforyou:
    Hugs. Diann...
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    thanks everyone! i'm definitely going to stick with it. i just wish that stupid scale would cooperate :laugh: haven't noticed a change in my clothing, although i have noticed a nice soreness in my long dorment muscles :blushing:
  • You need to pay more attention to how you look, and what your body is made up of- For me, I find more satisfaction in getting rid of fat rather than losing weight. In fact, since I've started working out - I've gained close to 15 lbs...!...in Muscle, but I don't stress because I know it's muscle, and I look better. Maybe that will help