MFP made me realize what I actually eat

2»

Replies

• reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Regarding the calories left for the day: considering the fact that we should eat the majority of our calories early in the day, so that we can burn them off while we are up and active, you are not in bad shape with 400 left for the evening. Also, if you snuck in a 30 minute workout, you could burn calories, giving you more to eat. For example, if you burn 100 calories, you have 500 left to eat for today!

There are PLENTY of things that you can fix that they would enjoy also, you will just slowly need to learn the different healthier options that work well for your family. Here are some replacements that I have made:

Arnold Bread Thins vs Hamburger Buns/Bread
    Egg Substitute vs Whole Eggs
    Applesauce vs Oil (when baking cakes, cupcakes)
    1% Milk vs 2% or Whole Milk
    Laughing Cow Lite Swiss Cheese Wedges vs Other Cheeses
    Greek Yogurt vs Sour Cream
    Banana Ice Cream vs Ice Cream (see below)
    Mississippi Mug Pie vs Any Other Chocolate Dessert (see below)

Banana Ice Cream - any time you have a banana that is starting to get a little brown on the outside (softening), tear it into 8 or so pieces and put in a container and freeze. Once frozen, pull out, add 1 tbsp of lowfat milk, and leave on the counter for maybe 5 or 10 minutes. Once softened a bit, use a utensil to mash until consistency of ice cream. I love it and my kids (age 3 and 1) believe it to be ice cream! I cannot do without it. And it is a serving of daily fruit as opposed to a super fattening dessert.

Mississippi Mug Pie - Do a google search for this recipe. Hungry girl (www.hungrygirl.com) has a recipe for this (and many other delish items) that are easy to make, delicious, and guilt free. It is rich, chocolatey, and amazing.

These are just some of my latest favorites. You will slowly incorporate healthier options over time and before you know it, your eating habits will be transformed, but the food will still taste good if you do it right! Don't compromise the flavor, you don't have to!

God bless. I hope some of this excites you.
    KellyMommy

I have heard of banana ice cream but never got the recipe. Thanks for sharring!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    6 egg whites 120 cal
    .5 ounce cheese 50 cal
    veggie
    toast 140 cal
    1 tsp. butter 72 cal
    It's not that I consider myself to be "suffering", I just know that they have bigger appetites than myself..Always has been that way with my husband and my son should eat as much as he can since hes only 3.
    The idea with the bananas to make ice cream sounds awesome..will try that.
    I did a lot of house cleaning today so i acheived the 30 mins (i did about an hour actually) of exercise that I had listed for the day so that gave me more calories to work with..
    I am a stay at home mom with LOTS of time on my hands lol...not a good thing..my 3 yr old is learning to be independent so he plays alot alone and my 10month old still takes 3 naps :) which leaves me bored and I eat when I am bored..
    To add...most responses would be "i need a hobby" dont really have money for a hobby..I was a WAHM and my hours/work got cut big time. I do a quarter of the work i used to..SUCKS there too..
    anyways, these are all super ideas!! I will write them down for when I go to the store next. :)
    Thanks soooo much!! I am soo glad I got such an awesome response to this topic!!! Really helps me believe I can do this.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    4 oz of veal pan fried in pam, a medium yellow squash sauteed in 1/4 cup of yellow onions w/a tablespoon of butter

301 calories

You can add a side salad or brown rice with this to get to your 400 hundred.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    I try to eat about 1200 calories a day and haven't changed the meals I eat in the evening. They were pretty healthy before anyway, and I've found that they don't normally exceed 700 calories so I work the rest of my day around those meals. I try not to eat more than 500 calories for breakfast and lunch, and that leaves me to eat dinner as normal. (:
  • I have only been a member for a month, lost 7 lbs and I am still learning. I do feel your dilemma from time to time. Let me share you what I ate today. For breakfast, I tried 2 scrambled eggs with an English muffin with no mayo - 280 calories. For lunch, I had a Protein drink - 190. I then 2 snacks grazing on fruits and even a couple cookies that equaled 400 calories. For dinner, I ate til I was full but mostly on vegetables and that was a total of 450. I ate a total of 1,320 calories. I then had light exercises of slow walking, Pilates and Yoga and burned 250 calories which kept me under my goal 1,100 net calories.

I take into account that I am sedentary. I mostly eat my heaviest meal during breakfast then have a very light lunch, snack and eat somewhere between 400-600 at night. This is because I do most of my exercises between 8-10 pm. If I eat less than 300 cals in the evening (which is around 6pm), I am hungry by 8 pm and it is not fun to exercise hungry or eat after you exercise. I try to drink water only before I go to bed. So it really depends on your routine.
This discussion has been closed.