running shoes

Options
I started a running program 5 weeks ago and finally decided to get a better pair of running shoes. I ended up getting the Asics gel cumulus 12. Really good shoes and they feel great. But when I took them for a run, my feet got really hot. Anybody else have this happen?

Replies

• mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    ever since i put on saucony's, i haven't worn another shoe. they have some kind of airway in them so that when i walk, i can feel the air go through my shoe. they were progrid or something like that. they are SO comfortable that you'll feel like you feet are in a little hammock in the shoe
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have the Asics Gel as well but mine have the soft top and my feet have been fine.
  • scorpiohoney
    scorpiohoney Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It might be your socks. I ran 2 marathons in Asics and didn't have this issue.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think running is addictive and you will probably spend a lot of time doing it - if you are like the rest of us :) you will try several shoes and then you will meet your perfect shoe........I strongly STRONGLY strongly recommend going to an actual running store and get on the treadmill so that an expert can watch you run and put you in the perfect shoe
    I had a heck of a time until I did this and got the perfect shoe for me --- now I just get on line and order a new pair of the same shoe over and over
  • jahnlaw
    jahnlaw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    After trying several different running shoes, with one very expensive running shoe that hurt like the ****ens, I eventually stumbled on Sauconys grid cohesion two years ago. I've used it ever since and I plan to keep using it as long as they make it. There are male and female models but both have a mesh top that helps cool our feet. My wife also likes hers. Good luck.
  • cjwilson57
    Options
    hmmm, I got the shoes at Sports Authority and all I did was stand on the gel pad. Up until now I have been wearing Nikes, but they were really a half size to small so I had to get a new pair. We do have a running store not to far from here. I will give that a try.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    This is gonna sound crazy but here's what works for me with one pair of no-ventilation running shoes:

Put them in the freezer for an hour before you run.

NO KIDDING.

Not only will this help kill stink bacteria, but it chills your shoes to the core.

Next is to fill them up with a generous amount of baby powder. Feels so fluffy and absorbs moisture like crazy. :)

Hope it helps!
  • marrtini
    Options
    I love Saucony as well. I find a good running/course trainer will help you .. they have stablilty bars and ventilation that will support your feet breathing. You need a good pair of socks that help your feet and wick away moisture as well.
    I would invest a little time and effort into finding a really solid pair of shoes for running and some good moisture wicking socks and shoes that have good breathability.
    Good luck and enjoy the running, its something I have just stumbled upon.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think running is addictive and you will probably spend a lot of time doing it - if you are like the rest of us :) you will try several shoes and then you will meet your perfect shoe........I strongly STRONGLY strongly recommend going to an actual running store and get on the treadmill so that an expert can watch you run and put you in the perfect shoe
    I had a heck of a time until I did this and got the perfect shoe for me --- now I just get on line and order a new pair of the same shoe over and over

Totally agree that going to an actual running store, where they put you on a treadmill and watch or film you running, is the way to go until you know for sure that you are in the right show for you!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    hmmm, I got the shoes at Sports Authority and all I did was stand on the gel pad. Up until now I have been wearing Nikes, but they were really a half size to small so I had to get a new pair. We do have a running store not to far from here. I will give that a try.

I've always found that I have to go up a full size from my 'street shoe' size in running shoes. When you are standing, you should have a full thumbwidth between your longest toe and the end of the shoe.

If you don't, your feet are going to be hot and uncomfortable and you'll eventually get black toenails. Even when I was running a few half-marathons a year, I never had a black toenail. I really think it's because my shoes fit properly and many people buy running shoes that are a half size to a full size too small for them.
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I will also agree with going to a running store, they worked wonders for me!