How so you store chopped onions in the frig. & keep...

Options
I've chopped lots of fresh veggies to have on had but have a problem with my onions. Does anyone know how to store chopped onions in your frig. without them smelling up the ice in the freezer? I have an icemaker in my freezer and my ice now smells like onions! eeewwh!:sick:

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    double or triple bagging them seems to help when i refrigerate them. i'd guess it'd be the same in the freezer??
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I use glass containers for onions.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Tupperware or some other airtight container. Not a baggie. Also, I keep baking soda in my freezer, one of those fridge pack thingies. I haven't had an issue with funky-smelling ice since I started doing that.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I only cut up as much as I plan to use, and leave the rest of the plant in tact in a baggie. Leaving the skin on helps, too. No more than about 2 days in the fridge, though. Longer than that, and it's into either the soup pot or the compost!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I use glass containers for onions.

Ooh, even better! You could use an old pasta sauce jar or something if you don't have regular glass storage containers.
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    Thanks! y'all. I had been putting them in tupperware then in one baggie then in another. But I like the glass jar idea and the baking soda! I had fogotten that my mother always had a box of it in her frig.

Thanks a bunch everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • katiewcurlz
    Options
    I agree! I only chop what I need, and I store the unused part in a glass container in the crisper drawer. OR.... you can buy frozen chopped onions, and they personally haven't stunk up my freezer.
  • missygail
    missygail Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband used to try to pickle his own cucumbers and he'd stink up the fridge, baking soda worked the best to get the smell out.