Heart Rate Monitors that count calories

Options
I was curious what HRM you guys use and if they're accurate when compared to the treadmill for instance. My treadmill takes into account my age, weight etc. I was mostly wanting to get one to count calories burned while doing my Zumba workouts. But, I recently read the following and was quite disturbed by what I read but since it's not MY message boards, I don't want to believe it!

I found it accidentally while Googling HRM that count calories. Here's the thread I read:
http://www.peertrainer.com/LoungeCommunityThread.aspx?ForumID=1&ThreadID=20509

Replies

• ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    I, too would love to know what the best way to track calories, heart rate, etc. If someone knows of a great monitor that does this - please send the info.

Natasha
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar HRM and find it much more accurate then the treadmill. How accurate is it? Who knows. But I figure its the closest I'm going to get since it takes into account my Heart Rate, Age, Height and Weight. And I've never had any problems losing weight when I'm logging the HRM calories. So for me, i think an HRM is highly worth it!! As long as it has a chest strap that is continuously monitoring your HR.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Oh - the Polar I have is the F11 - not sure if there is something newer out there - but it is I think the cheapest with a chest strap.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't know who the random person posting on the message board is, but I just read an article in a magazine (while on the treadmill!) this morning that cited a study which concluded that as long as you're entering your information (weight, age, etc) into the machine, the calorie counters on most gym equipment are accurate within 10%. Not a terribly big variable. I'll take it!
  • xnattiex
    xnattiex Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft7 and on it you enter your weight, height, whether you are male or female and your age (i think age was on there) so im guessing it will be as accurate if not more accurate than the machines at the gym.
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft60 and it counts calories as soon as I put it on whether I am working out or just sat on the couch. I have used it to try to get a more accurate BMR measurement. I trust my HRM way more than I would trust a machine at the gym. My HRM has settings that are personal to me i.e. my height, weight, age, maximum heart rate and my gender.
  • IzzieLee
    IzzieLee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love it. I do find that the HRM on treadmills and ellipticals tend to overestimate the amount of calories you are burning. I always find that my treadmill is about 75-100 calories higher than the HRM but always go by the HRM. I believe the HRM is a better indication of your true calories as it takes into account the changes in your HRM during your workout. I think the equipment monitor is just basing the information on the speed you are going, your weight and time. It doesn't take into account that at the beginning of your workout your HR could be on your low end then increases during your workout. The Polar gives you your average HR for the workout plus the highest HR you hit during that time.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Polar FT40 - very happy with it. There are TONS of posts here about HRM's that you could look up too.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    There was always a 100 to a 150 calorie burned difference between the equipment & my polar. On a weekly basis thats a lot of calories not being taken into consideration if I didn't have my HRM. I don't touch the sensors on the treadmill at all times so its less effective. The same with the elliptical. Once I'm in my stride the last thing I want to worry about is breaking my concentration to do that.

Oh I have the Polar FT4