Can someone help me make a grocery list? PLEASE!!!

Options
I need to stop at the store tonight because i have nothing at home to eat. my problem is i'm always running out the door with only a few seconds to grab what i'm gonna eat. I tried doing turkey wraps and bought a lb of turkey for that, that was two weeks ago and its still sitting in my fridge so now i have to throw it out. I can't keep wasting money on things that just end up in the trash and i need healthy things that aren't really expensive that i don't have to really prepare or cook. As it is most days of the week i end up with nothing and have to stop for something at the gas station which has a terrible selection and is too expensive and unhealthy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!

Replies

• luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    I need to stop at the store tonight because i have nothing at home to eat. my problem is i'm always running out the door with only a few seconds to grab what i'm gonna eat. I tried doing turkey wraps and bought a lb of turkey for that, that was two weeks ago and its still sitting in my fridge so now i have to throw it out. I can't keep wasting money on things that just end up in the trash and i need healthy things that aren't really expensive that i don't have to really prepare or cook. As it is most days of the week i end up with nothing and have to stop for something at the gas station which has a terrible selection and is too expensive and unhealthy.

• Juliebean
    Options
    Fiber One bars have saved my life! The chocolate and oats, and strawberry and almond ones are both fantastic. I eat one of those whenever I'm hungry with a glass of water and it takes care of my hunger pains. I would also pick up some 100 calorie packs. Don't buy something just because it's good for you. If you don't like it you won't eat it, no matter how healthy it is.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Can you do frozen meals? For lunches, I nuke a Lean Cuisine or Smart One. For my afternoon snack, I have a banana.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    First off, slow down
    than make a list of foods yopu like and enjoy
    make a weekly meal plan
    then cross out the bad things nad go for the good things left on the list
    go to the store when you have the time and are not rushed

Hit the produce dept first
    I could stay 30 minutes there
    then the deli for meats and white cheese
    then I usually hit the frozen foods

alot of healthy choices now
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Can you do frozen meals? For lunches, I nuke a Lean Cuisine or Smart One. For my afternoon snack, I have a banana.

lean cuisine and smart one's have some DELICIOUS meals!
  • bbright53
    Options
    If you have access to a microwave how about some soup. Campbell's Healthy Choice is pretty good.

If you have time get everything together for your lunch the night before.
  • lesliedionne
    Options
    I really like those Progressive soups they carry! they have a really good chicken noodle actually just about any kind you can think of and there all really tasty and only about 200 calories for the whole CAN! very filling!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Do you work nights or just don't like to cook? :smile:

If you can find the time on the weekends, I'd suggest some crock pot meals or casseroles where you can munch on the leftovers all week. :smile:
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Healthy, inexpensive and little to no preperation....that's tough! Here are a few suggestions:

Fiber One Bars
    Tuna packets
    Hummus and baby carrots
    Cabot makes a 50% reduced cheese that comes in little snack packs
    Fat Free Pudding packs
    Applesauce/fruit packs (I prefer to buy canned fruit and portion it out into 1/2 cup tupperware containers to save money. Fresh fruit is best but canned doesn't go bad)
    Grill chicken on Sunday and have it cut up and ready to go when you need a quick meal
    Amy's Organic & Cedar Lane both make awesome frozen meals but they are pricey
    Organic Peanut butter
    English muffins

These are some of the things that are usually on my grocery list. Biggest tip I have is to make time to prepare things. Cheap, healthy and pre-prepared aren't words that really go together. I try to make my lunch before I go to bed at night and on the weekends I take alittle time to cook up some chicken breasts or make a pork tenderloin that I can eat all week.

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • luvchi3
    Options
    i don't know, i'm starting to feel like eating healthy and tracking everything just isn't for me, i can't seem to do it for more than a day.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    i don't know, i'm starting to feel like eating healthy and tracking everything just isn't for me, i can't seem to do it for more than a day.

I don't "eat healthy" necessarily. I eat a lot of the same crap I did before, but I portion control better, and stick to my calories, or exercise so I have extra calories to eat!

You can do this. Don't let a stressful day knock you off track. :flowerforyou:
  • luvchi3
    Options

I don't "eat healthy" necessarily. I eat a lot of the same crap I did before, but I portion control better, and stick to my calories, or exercise so I have extra calories to eat!

that's how i was doing it too just portion control but could still eat what i liked but i've been stuck at the same place for several months now and i have to do more if i'm gonna lose the rest of the weight
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean by being so busy - it's really does take some dedication to eat healthy, but a little planning and some adjustment will make it go so much easier!

My life saving device? The crockpot. It's amazing. I work full-time, have three kiddos under the age of 10 - we don't have a lot of time to throw together healthy, balanced meals between swim practice, homework, and god knows what else :wink: We crock twice a week - literally throw almost anything in the pot - chunk of meat, veggies, a cup of broth - and it simmers all day. Laddle it on to some brown rice or whole wheat pasta - done! Plus left overs for the next couple of days.

I put the crockpot together the night before - stick it in the frigde and DH takes it out in the AM and turns it on. Then we come home to a house that smells wonderful and a dinner that is almost effortless.

Other nights that we don't crock - I'll do wraps, sandwiches, etc. I stopped buying the frozen meals - lots of sodium and other stuff. For time crunches I do like Amy's reduced sodium soups - I'll take those to work with me, and bring along a bag of carrots, celery/PB, etc.

On Friday night, I'll plan out the meals for the following week and shop on Saturday. Writing things down helps my brain to formally accept what we will eat that week, lol. Once you get a system, then it will all fall into place and really - it does gets easier :flowerforyou: (Althought we do still have our pizza nights every now and then! All in moderation, right? :smile:)
  • marathongirly
    marathongirly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just a thought...many of the processed foods have additives that are very addictive so you want more of the same "crap" so the manufacturers can get more of your $$';s I never realized how addictive sugar is until I started to get it out of my diet. Before when I had sweets I was never satisfied, just wanted more...now I limit it and just small amounts of sugar can make things takes just to sweet for me. I think of sugar like a poison, because basically it is....the healthier you eat then better you will feel! I PROMISE THAT!
  • Kaybay37
    Options

that's how i was doing it too just portion control but could still eat what i liked but i've been stuck at the same place for several months now and i have to do more if i'm gonna lose the rest of the weight

Sometimes (ie, most days these days) I get overwhelmed by the whole counting thing, too. But, it's helped you lose so far, right? So, don't chuck the whole thing yet.

How about combining some of the great tips here? Stock up on some Smart Ones/Lean Cuisine frozen foods and some of the great staples that WildKitty suggested for those nights when all you can do is press the START button on the micro., but also plan on doing a crock pot weekend to try it out!

Are you including exercise at all? You're pressed for time, but that would help jump start your metabolism. I knew a friend who kept one of those balls in her living room and would sit on that to watch tv in the evening. Not only did it discourage snacking, but she'd bounce or do sit ups on and off the whole while.

Good luck, friend, and may I say you have done an amazing job! 24 lbs!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I really like those Progressive soups they carry! they have a really good chicken noodle actually just about any kind you can think of and there all really tasty and only about 200 calories for the whole CAN! very filling!

And Campbell's has a Select Harvest Light soup line that is between 120 and 160 for the whole can...so yummy...

On another note though, when I first moved out on my own and had to start cooking for myself, I would get up early on Sunday mornings, go grocery shopping, and then cook massive amounts of food, portion it out once it was cooked, freeze it, and then eat it for the next week(s). I'd make homemade soup, baked macaroni and cheese, meatloaf, etc. I wasn't eating particularly healthily then, but I was spending about $200 at the grocery store at a time, prepping and cooking it all, freezing it, and then enjoying it for the next 2 months! I probably only went to the grocery store once every 4-6 weeks.

Here are some things that I ALWAYS have on hand...
    soup (Campbell's Select Harvest Light)
    organic oatmeal packets (old fashioned oatmeal is better for you, but in a time crunch the organic packets are a good choice I think)
    cottage cheese
    lowfat vanilla yogurt (just can't get myself to stomach plain yet)
    Jello sugar free pudding cups
    Thomas light English Muffins
    sugar free jelly
    baby carrots and veggie dip
    Fiber Bars
    Mini Animal Crackers
    Laughing Cow cheeses and bran crackers
    Kashi Go Lean Waffles and sugar free syrup
    liquid egg whites
    100 calorie packs of almonds
    some form of fresh fruit

Now that I am eating healthier foods that tend to cost more, I don't think I could stretch $200 to cover my meals for over two months, but with some careful planning and smart shopping I am sure you can do quite a healthy menu in whatever budget you are working with.
  • luvchi3
    Options
    Well i managed to make my way through the grocery store the other day. Ended up spending about 50 bucks, and am pretty happy with what i ended up with, michelinas has a much larger selection of lean gourmet frozen meals that are only 1.29 so i got a bunch for lunches, still need to get my kashi oatmeal and soups since the weather is getting colder now, i wish i could do my soup for lunch in summer too cuz its filling and low cal but its just too hot. Thanks for all your help, i've been pretty on track since i went shopping (minus the candy corn, lol, don't even like the stuff) which makes me feel a lot better
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options

OMG I had to hunt this post down because I thought I wrote it! LOL

I don't do "diet" because that isn't practical for my family, and I don't want to cook 4 different meals on taste, smell, like, dislike. I just keep my meals in control and make smart choices. But I never was OUT of control. I ate healthy but some days too little, and some days too much. EEEK!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just got the BEST grocery store advise ever..

Shop around the perimeter of the store. You will see-it is the fresh fruits, dairy, meat and usually bread all around the perimeter. The inside isles are all the process food.

Of course, go down the toilet paper isle too, or you family will NOT like me at all!!:bigsmile:
  • luvchi3
    Options
    I just got the BEST grocery store advise ever..

Shop around the perimeter of the store. You will see-it is the fresh fruits, dairy, meat and usually bread all around the perimeter. The inside isles are all the process food.

Of course, go down the toilet paper isle too, or you family will NOT like me at all!!:bigsmile:

wow i never thought of that, that's a good idea, would make my trip easier too