Hidden dangers of fruit! Seriously read this....

Options

Replies

• kaityray
    kaityray Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Absolutely right! People are very jaded thinking that there is some sort of difference in fructose and refined sugar, its all stored as the same kind of sugar, bottom line.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Absolutely right! People are very jaded thinking that there is some sort of difference in fructose and refined sugar, its all stored as the same kind of sugar, bottom line.

Yes, the majority of people listen to the USDA, FDA and the corn counsil too much.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Saving to read when I'm not cross-eyed exhausted.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    So... can we please have a show of hands from all those people who became morbidly obese from snacking on too many apples??? :huh:

lol so true!!
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yes, the majority of people listen to the USDA, FDA and the corn counsil too much.

Yes yes yes yes yes. Why do you think whole grain products are so heavily advocated? Same with dairy and corn. The government wants people to eat that stuff (regardless of health benefit, which I am NOT trying to get into) because it so heavily subsidizes the production.

Fruit isn't all that its cracked up to be.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Maybe because the whole grains are "complete" not this enriched flour crap where they remove the good stuff and replace it with chemicals so the companies with subsidies can move their product.

Ever wonder why corn is in darn near every PROCESSED product?

I'll keep eating my fruit, avoiding refined products where I can. It's still a work in progress but choosing a fruit over my former choices IS healthier than what I used to be doing.

Corn and soy seem to be heavily subsidized, at least looking at the local farms around me for what they are growing, if there were money in the wheat, oats etc they'd be growing them but corn or soy are just so much more lucrative, it's almost all you see growing on any large farm.
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can say the amount of fruit I used to eat lead to my weight gain due to being insulin resistant and then becoming a full blown diabetic.

I used to eat at least 4-5 servings of fruit per day, plus a lot of low fat and low protein foods and I ended up gaining about 140 pounds.

Yes, this can obviously happen, you are proof. But your story, while relevant, is anecdotal. Can you gain lots of weight while eating a lot of fruit? Sure. Is it likely to happen? Probably not. I understand the article to say that eating fruit in moderation is okay, but excess fruit, juice or derivatives is not. It just proves that almost anything can be bad for you if you overdo it. If you drink too much water, you can die! That's a fact, but how much water do you have to drink for that to happen. Lets just agree that everyone's body reacts differently and eating fruit, even too much, is likely way better for you than eating a chocolate bar or having a whopper and milkshake.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    one quick correction to your article. monosaccharides rarely exist in nature, and usually require a refinement process. the primary sugar in most fruits is sucrose, a disaccharide composed of fructose and glucose. almost every plant contains sucrose on some level. white table sugar is also sucrose extracted from sugar cane, or sorghum, or beats, believe it or not, but mostly sugar cane. it could jut as easily, and via the same process be extracted for apples, or oranges. if you are trying to watch your sugar, cutting back on fruity is a good idea.

all that being said your average serving of fruit contains less than half a serving of pure sucrose so two to three servings per day is not unreasonable.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else notice it mentioned 'three 8oz glasses of orange juice'? Now THAT is a lot of fruit sugar! It would take a lot of oranges to make that much juice. Warning off fruit JUICE would make more sense, if the rest of the article is correct.
  • soysos
    Options
    Did anyone else notice it mentioned 'three 8oz glasses of orange juice'? Now THAT is a lot of fruit sugar! It would take a lot of oranges to make that much juice. Warning off fruit JUICE would make more sense, if the rest of the article is correct.

hey man don't nock the juice. some days its the only way reach my goal.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation!

I've never cared for this mantra. Arsenic in moderation will eventually kill you. Smoking in moderation can lead to cancer.

That being said, I still think that fruit is a better alternative to a chocolate bar because you're not just getting sugar, but also other vitamins and minerals that would have to be artificially added to a candy bar. Maybe in an ideal world, fruit would be considered a 'treat' but reality says that we should probably steer them away from heavily indulging in the cakes, candies, and other high colorie, low nutrient foods first.
  • soysos
    Options
    everything in moderation!

I've never cared for this mantra. Arsenic in moderation will eventually kill you. Smoking in moderation can lead to cancer.

That being said, I still think that fruit is a better alternative to a chocolate bar because you're not just getting sugar, but also other vitamins and minerals that would have to be artificially added to a candy bar. Maybe in an ideal world, fruit would be considered a 'treat' but reality says that we should probably steer them away from heavily indulging in the cakes, candies, and other high colorie, low nutrient foods first.

you'd be surprised how much arsenic one consumes in a lifetime.

chocolate contains a lot of valuable vitamins and minerals as well, a couple of bites ever now and then is good for you.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options

And it is a known fact that sugar is sugar - no matter the source. The impact on blood sugar and release of insulin is the same no matter if it is fruit or a candy bar.
    Sorry but sugar is not sugar irrespetive of source, because we use the term too generally. Sugar = sucrose (which is fructose and glucose). That is what is meant by sugar.

Fructose can occur on its own (monosaccharide), as can glucose.

The metabolic pathways for fructose and glucose are different. Fructose has a lower glyceamic index (19) compared to sucrose, and fructose (in the quantities one would get from a normal serve of fruit - which nature has so wonderfully packaged for us) does not trigger the same insulin response in the normal population, (and I exclude those predisposed to diabetes because there are other issues that have to be considered).

Fructose has gained a bad name from high fructose corn syrups, which have been used to sweeten many processed foods (which make us fat). These deliver fructose in an abnormally high level (ie not as nature intended). This causes problems, but it is not a "fruit" problem.

I love my fruit, and as I am not diabetic or pre diabetic, or overweight any more continue to enjoy my 3 or more serves each day.

Fruit did not get me fat before, neither did veggies. It was my eating way too much of a range of high calorie processed "stuff", once I stopped eating that and started with good fruit and veg on my plate, I killed my addictions to the stuff that made me overweight.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think the important part in the article is this sentence:

"If your goal is to exclusively to minimize bodyfat, then it is advisable that you consume more complex carbohydrates, which will go to replenishing muscle glycogen stores rather than fruit, which will only replenish liver glycogen stores, and is useless in muscle glycogen replenishment."

with emphasis on the part about your goals being EXCLUSIVELY minimising body fat or centered around that.

If you are on a short term "cutting" diet (12 weeks or less in my view) where one of your principal or only goals is to strip BF% then by all means cut out fruit and / or fruit juice fully.

However, if you are at the point of maintaining a healthy lifestyle and/ or dieting for more than a couple of months then the benefits of eating fruit outweighs the downside significantly for MOST people (although not all.) What that article fails to address are the benefits that fructose has in bringing liver glocogen back up to normal levels as well as the drawbacks.

If you are living with calorie restriction and exercising hard then you are probably in a liver glyocgen depleted state a lot of the time. Refuelling this store sends a "full" signal to the brain making over eating less likely. In addition, the fibre in fruit also promotes feelings of being full making over eating less likely. Let's also not forget the nutrients and vitamins found in fruit as well.

Finally I think that most people, even if they are on this type of diet or not, should key a close eye on their fruit JUICE intake (as opposed to fruit in its natural and solid state) as it is high in calories and sugar.

In short, the advice in the OP is useful for a small minority of people but not the majority.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    They need to learn something about glycemic load.
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bump:-)
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I have many servings of fruit every day. In addition to the pounds I have lost, my blood sugar is no longer in a dangerous range, my cholesterol is now at a helthy level, and my body fat percentage has dropped drastically (more than 20% lost)

Fruit is good for you. Whole grains are good for you. A varied, produce filled diet is good for you.

Eliminating a whole food group, or restricting intake on it's perceived "bad" qualities is absurd.

I agree wholeheartedly. I also don't like when someone comes on here declaring they know the best, newest secret to health. It is stated as if everybody else is wrong, and if we just listen to them our bodies will morph into muscle bound atletes bodies.
  • Momtotwo
    Momtotwo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you are trying to lose every bit of fat for a competition, or some such goal, but for your average person who wants to lose weight, eliminating fruit as a snack or menu choice I feel is absurd. I'm not doubting the science behind glucose metabolism, but let's appreciate fruit for the healthy smart food choice that it is. Personally if I eliminated fruit as a snack, or side dish, it would likely be replaced with something less beneficial and be counterproductive to my goals.

Definitely!!
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump to read later...