Small Space Exercise Ideas?

Options
Hello!

I am new and this is my first time posting!

I live above people in a very small space. The only time I can workout is before bed. Because I am really busy. So I am looking for generally quiet things to do (I have done Zumba...But that was a pain because I had to tiptoe)....I have a yoga ball and two 5 pound weights.

Any other tips for losing weight would be great! I want to loose about 25 pounds before June if at all possible.

Add me as a friend?

Thanks!

Replies

• ropedancer
    Options
    One thing I like about Pilates is you basically need space for a mat and a little extra room on each side. Admittedly, it's not the best for burning calories but it's a great supplement to your workout.

For other types of exercises, I remember the DVD "Self Binkini Ready Fast" did not requite a lot of space, and you can play that one for free on hulu.

My weight loss goal is 20 lbs and I'm 10 lbs into it now. Looks like we have similar goals. Hope you don't mind if I friend you.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I just got a mini stepper for about $45 at Walmart. It gives a good cardio workout and only takes a couple of square feet of space.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Pilates and yoga--
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I think the pilates is a great idea, and I'll tell you why: it may not be a good calorie burner, but you're already at a calorie deficit if you're following MFP guidelines. You don't really *need* to burn cals unless you want to eat more. But toning and lengthening your muscles will do wonders for your body. Maintain your cal deficit through diet, and then you can do any workout, even if it's not good cardio, because you'll still be losing weight and toning up.
  • quanta
    quanta Posts: 28
    Options
    I do isometrics. Small weights are handy to use. I use exercise bands for resistance.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    How about an exercise bike? Plenty of good ones on e-bay...
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I live in a 2nd floor apt as well. Luckily the ladies that live below me are hard of hearing so I don't have the keeping quiet issues as much. That said. Try pilates. I have some windsor pilates dvds that utilize a small space, are easy to do, require no jumping, and still feel like a good workout. I also do Jillian michaels shred it with weights and it's relatively quiet activity (with the exception of jump squats but I'm sure you could modify).
  • Madmumlee
    Madmumlee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Hannah

Welcome! I'm fairly new to this too - and am already addicted to my food diary!

I'd say using weights and bands to train as you don't need much space - and as long as you place them down on a soft area when you finish, should be quiet. If you used high reps and low weights it will be a good exercise for you. Setting up a circuit would be really good if you want to break out a sweat.

eg. Station 1 - Bicep curls
    Station 2 - Crunches
    Station 3 - Push ups (do against a sturdy chair or sofa if unable to do flat on floor)
    Station 4 - Shoulder press whilst kneeling
    Station 5 - Squats or lunges

Do each one for 30 seconds in one continuous set, then rest for 30-45 seconds before doing 'round 2'. Do as many rounds that take 15-25 minutes.

Obviously any variation on this to suit you will work. Not only is it working different muscle groups, but it is giving you a cardio work out. You don't need to run or move much as each 'station' could be in the same spot, just have it written down on a bit of card or paper so you know what you are doing.

Hope this helps x
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    eg. Station 1 - Bicep curls
    Station 2 - Crunches
    Station 3 - Push ups (do against a sturdy chair or sofa if unable to do flat on floor)
    Station 4 - Shoulder press whilst kneeling
    Station 5 - Squats or lunges

Do each one for 30 seconds in one continuous set, then rest for 30-45 seconds before doing 'round 2'

Obviously any variation on this to suit you will work. Not only is it working different muscle groups, but it is giving you a cardio work out. You don't need to run or move much as each 'station' could be in the same spot, just have it written down on a bit of card or paper so you know what you are doing.

Hope this helps x

I really like this idea! I've been trying to find some low impact exercises to do. I think I will try this.:flowerforyou:
  • Hannah_92
    Options
    Thanks guys! You all have great ideas! I can't wait to try them out!

4965788.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Listening to some good music, and dancing around the living room is always a good, economical way to get into shape; but since you have to be quiet, it might be a good idea to grab a chair, and do some alternating kicks. When I'm out of net, I usually do some back kicks, side kicks, and so on while holding on to the chair for thirty minutes. After that, I do some alternating lunges. I finish up my routine with push-ups, dips, and crunches. I do the dips off the edge of the chair.

It's too bad that you only have time to exercise right before bed because a little run or walk in the park can do wonders for you. In addition, if you have some small hand weights, you might be able to find some toning routines on the Internet. Hand weights, no more than ten pounds, can do wonders for you. Good luck.