Who are you to judge my goal?

Options
Ok so here's the deal. Some people are being critical of the goal I have. I am 5 foot 6 inches tall and I currently weigh 130.2lbs. My goal is to be 115lbs. I have been told several times by many different friends that this is too small or too skinny.. HELLO in high school I was the same height and I barely weighed 100lbs and had the nickname bones!

I don’t think that 115 is too skinny. I want muscle on my body too not just bones!

Does this sound unrealistic to you? OR are my critics just being jerks?

Replies

• madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am also same height as you and cannot imagine being so tiny. I personally think it is really small BUT as long as you don't take things too far and end up anorexic I think if you are happy with yourself at that point and are healthy then it shouldnt be a problem. We all have our own goals we want to get to to feel comfortable. I currently weigh 140lbs and want to weigh 126lb which all my friends and family say is too small lol thats just where I wanna be :)
  • oregon_mama
    oregon_mama Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    UGH I cant stand that! poeple tell me all the time. YOUR SKINNY why are you on a diet? Why do you work out? seriously SHUTUP! They dont know me well enough to say that or even think that way! Just because Im skinnier then THEY are doesnt make me "skinny" I have a tummy from having my boys they dont see. That doesnt make me "skinny" People need to get a grip!
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Weighing 115 pounds is at the borderline of healthy and underweight according to BMI. I would ask your doctor what a healthy goal is for you. A doctor is the only one who has the training to tell you what you should weigh.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You know your body better than anyone. Do I think that's extreme, sure, but that's my opinion. Just remember that muscle weighs more so 115 may not be realistic with the muscle tone you want. It's all a learning process. You need to figure out what is best for you and be what YOU think is right! I'm sure your friends are just concerned that's all.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'd go to a dietician or a doctor before you get that low...it sounds really tiny for your height. You don't want abnormal hair growth on your body, or to lose your period. I understand you may have been that tiny in highschool but as you get older your body needs different things...just go ask a professional incase you accidentally make your self sick or wreck something...
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ok so here's the deal. Some people are being critical of the goal I have. I am 5 foot 6 inches tall and I currently weigh 130.2lbs. My goal is to be 115lbs. I have been told several times by many different friends that this is too small or too skinny.. HELLO in high school I was the same height and I barely weighed 100lbs and had the nickname bones!

I don’t think that 115 is too skinny. I want muscle on my body too not just bones!

It sounds as though it would be on the very low end of healthy, depending on your body type, and well below healthy for many of your height (though not all). I'm an inch taller than you are and if I get under 130, people invariably ask me if I am tired, ill, etc.

I've gone there when I was younger and had a 'number' fixated in my head. But I'll tell you that for me it was not good. I was wan and pale for the first time in my life and I was eating very poorly and insufficiently while working out like a maniac. Again, that's me. For my build, 132-142 while eating well and being active keeps me in a size 4-6. Below that I look and feel unwell. However, I have some freinds who are healthy and active at higher and lower weights for the same height.

I guess the real question comes down to WHY do you want to be 115? What's the reasoning behind that? It may be good or it may be flawed.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm not judging, just giving informtion.

According to the National Institute of Health, being 5'6" and weiging 115 pounds puts your BMI at 18.6. Anything below 18.5 is considered underweight. 18.5 is the dividing line and you would be right on the cusp of being considered "underweight" at 115 for your height. Your current height/weight put your BMI at 21. Which is right in the middle of the "normal weight" category which ranges BMI= 18.5–24.9. So while that puts you at perfectly normal, 115 would still keep you in the "normal" category by 0.1.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    As long as you feel good and good about it screw everyone else =)
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    A lot of it has to do with build. I'm 5'10" and my goal is 140lbs with 20% BF. I also have a tiny frame so that's reasonable for me. I get the same thing as you from a lot of people but I just ignore them.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I am almost as tall as you and used to weigh less than that when I was a teenager, but you said it yourself in your post, you were called BONES...that is not a good thing!! I think you might be too thin at that weight for someone of your height, I would ask a Dr to give you a better idea of the healthy weight range for your height and frame, this might be around 125 at the lowest if I remember correctly
  • bigdaddycowgill
    bigdaddycowgill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Body size & shape is a very personalized thing & unique to each individual. By the time you're an adult, you know your body better than anyone. You know where you feel you are at your best & screw anyone else who thinks they know better. You know what they say about opinions...
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    if you want muscle then 115 is a bit two low, muscle weighs more than fat by volume remmeber
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    "According to the National Institute of Health, being 5'6" and weiging 115 pounds puts your BMI at 18.6. Anything below 18.5 is considered underweight. 18.5 is the dividing line and you would be right on the cusp of being considered "underweight" at 115 for your height. Your current height/weight put your BMI at 21. Which is right in the middle of the "normal weight" category which ranges BMI= 18.5–24.9. So while that puts you are perfectly normal, 115 would still keep you in the "normal category by 0.1."

it's like getting the lowest possible D and saying, but I didn't get an F.....

115 is too low for that height, IMO and according to BMI calculations.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's "ideal" weight is different based on their body type. i can't even imagine wanting to be 115 pounds at 5'4" - way too thin for me, but I know others who strife for it.

At your height and 115 though - you are right on the edge of being considered underweight by BMI standards. So, I would definitely consult with your doctor before setting this goal. Being underweight is just a big of health risk as being overweight. 130 is a perfectly healthy weight at your height and even on the low side of a healthy BMI.
  • fitmom4ever
    Options
    I am 5'5" and started MFP at 128 with a weight loss goal of 10 pounds. I have since lost 12 pounds and look and feel great. I have a very small frame, and like you, was barely over 100 in highschool. I have now switched to maintenance and am trying to build up muscle to make the weight that I am carrying look as good as possible.
    I think your goal is what is good for you, as long as you don't go into the underweight range. Some people are more curvy at the same height and need more weight to look good/healthy.
    If I gain some of the weight lost in the process of building muscle tho, that's ok with me. I think at this point it's better to focus more on how your body looks and feels than the actual number on the scale.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This old dog likes a little meat on the bones.
  • 23sdlsdfoi98
    Options
    Personally I think if you are happy and healthy at 115 then good for you. Although the key is healthy, your bmi at that height and weight would only be considered moderately underweight, so I don't see the big deal. It could, however, be difficult to attain and maintain especially if you want muscle mass cause it's so much heavier than fat.

And in response to oregon-mom, when people criticize me for being too skinny to be on a diet, I politely remind them my figure is a direct result of watching my diet and exercising. I typically throw in the quip about it being a healthy lifestyle choice as opposed to a diet. It usually shuts them up right quick!
  • tater8589
    Options
    Just my opinion, 115 sounds a little small to me, but everyone is built differently. I'm 5'7" and 125 is my goal, I may be built a little bitter than you and I know I can't pull off any less than 125. If your built really small framed then 115 might work for you. Measure yourself as well as weighing in on the scale and look at yourself in the mirror, You'll know when to stop. Good luck :smile:
  • chrssyeldridge
    chrssyeldridge Posts: 47 Member
    Options

It sounds as though it would be on the very low end of healthy, depending on your body type, and well below healthy for many of your height (though not all). I'm an inch taller than you are and if I get under 130, people invariably ask me if I am tired, ill, etc.

I've gone there when I was younger and had a 'number' fixated in my head. But I'll tell you that for me it was not good. I was wan and pale for the first time in my life and I was eating very poorly and insufficiently while working out like a maniac. Again, that's me. For my build, 132-142 while eating well and being active keeps me in a size 4-6. Below that I look and feel unwell. However, I have some freinds who are healthy and active at higher and lower weights for the same height.

I guess the real question comes down to WHY do you want to be 115? What's the reasoning behind that? It may be good or it may be flawed.

I spoke to my doctor about this goal and she said that a healthy lowest weight for my size is 118 I would be happy with that. She has also been my Dr, since I was a child so for her to see me at this weight she even began to worry about gaining too much weight. I have a very small frame so I do not carry this extra 10-15 very well. Even though my BMI is in the healthy range right now I know just by looking at my body that I am not healthy!

So my reasoning behind it is not really the number it is the FAT on my body that I am thinking weighs that extra 10-15! The flubber on my tummy and the extra thighs Im carrying around....
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can necessarily judge this by BMI since it is so close to the underweight category. I've had a BMI of 20 but had a fat mass that was dangerously low.

Obviously, it's a difficult situation to judge. I do have to say though, that when my friends (well, the few brave enough to say so) were telling me that I was working out too much and didn't need to lose any more weight - they were right. I look at the photos now and think I was disgustingly thin but at the time I still thought I was fat. Our perception of ourselves isn't always the most accurate.