New to site (really?)

Options
Howdy all,

I just wanted to drop a quick note to say hi. So "Hi!" Anyway, I've always hated my love-handles (not sure why they're called that) so I've determined to lose them. I think my biggest challenge is my wife. While she wants to lose weight, she's not as committed to it as I am, so I am going to have to try to steer our food choices to healthier items.

Phill Ballard

Replies

• LetItBe4Sanity
    LetItBe4Sanity Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean, sometimes its hard to get your partner to take the leap with you. But once you start losing the weight, and the healthy food and exercise starts becoming your permanent lifestyle, she'll hop on the band wagon too :) Good luck!
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have the same kind of issues with the significant other. Just make the right choices for you and try to encourage your wife to do the same. Good luck!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    Once your wife starts to see your results, she'll get on board. I am the only one in my family who is committed to a fit and healthy lifestyle, but since I'm the cook of the house, they eat what I cook. After a while, they got used to it and actually prefer my meals rather than going out to eat. I take time for workouts and I take time to plan meals. It's all about focus and moving forward to reach your goals. Good luck to you.
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Phil.

Make some friends on MFP and you will find that you are not alone here. If your wife is half-heartedly supporting you, you can share your experiences with MFP friends. I started using this site first, and after a short while, suggested that my wife do it, too. Ever since then, we work out almost every day and both of us are losing weight and getting in shape. I mention my experience because I hope that you can convince your wife to either get fit with you or support you in your fitness goals. You can suggest it but of course it has to be a personal commitment for each person. It is no secret that people tend to stick with this or any fitness process when they have a partner to share the experience.

Maybe you can sell this to your wife as your commitment to your life together and that you want to stick around for a long, long time. So you are doing this for the health of it and hope that she will consider joining you. You could do this for a month or two first and when you see yourself making progress, you can bolster your case for a husband and wife team effort. That plan is certainly working for me and my wife. This is the best I have felt in months and I am only about 20% of the way to my goal.

Whatever you do, good luck! Welcome to MFP.

Doug (my wife is SMC_chick)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Men should take the lead in their households. When you make the change, she will follow.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    my husband isnt onboard with me but due to my obsession with MFP he's noticing a difference (i dont so i think he's lying, lol) and he's skipping things that arent so good for him and it's made a change for him...so once she sees you motivated she may or may not come around. to be honest, i know i wouldnt have lost the weight i have so far without MFP...i tried and failed many times before so MFP is an amazing step for you to take towards your goals...youll get this...its a lot easier to have the MFP "family" behind you to keep you motivated...best wishes!!!
  • mkballard1014
    Options
    I appreciate the warm welcome. I already have dropped about 30 pounds over the last year and a half, but I have been stuck around 190 lbs for the last few months. I really am hoping that MFP will help me burn another 30 pounds (or more).