PROTEIN DRINKS/SHAKES

Options
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PROTEIN DRINKS/SHAKES?

Replies

• michaelsdavies
    michaelsdavies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've only just started drinking them - basically, they're an easy source of protein. Be careful to choose one that's specifically designed to give you protein with low carbs/cals (if that's what you're looking for) rather than one designed to build mass! Protein is the key to weight loss, and I try to get as much (and from varied sources) as possible.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I do whey protein, or soy protein shakes. they are built more for women.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    Special K protein shakes are what I go to after cardio and strength training workouts. They are about 170-190 calories with 10g of protein and 5g of fiber plus other nutrients and minerals. :)
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I've only just started drinking them - basically, they're an easy source of protein. Be careful to choose one that's specifically designed to give you protein with low carbs/cals (if that's what you're looking for) rather than one designed to build mass! Protein is the key to weight loss, and I try to get as much (and from varied sources) as possible.

Well seeings how this dude lost 108lbs I think I'd listen to him!! Way to go, that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I do a Meal Replacement shake for breakfast, its high in protein, I do it for the healthy benefits of it and that its simple to use in the morning while I'm getting kids ready for school.
  • michaelsdavies
    michaelsdavies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well seeings how this dude lost 108lbs I think I'd listen to him!! Way to go, that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Haaa thanks hey! :)
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    whey Protein shakes are a fast digesting protein which are essential in muscle repair so drink them right after a workout =)

and onlyyyy after a workout... the rest of your protein intake should be consumed in the form of solids and lean meat which are a slower digesting protein .
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Should you use Whey or Soy protein??
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    Whey is thought to contain the perfect combination of muscle-building amino-acids (the building blocks of protein) and enhance the immune system. It has also shown a rapid utilization capacity, for maximum protein absorption by the muscles (making it perfect as a post-workout drink).

Compared to other forms of protein, Whey is thought to be superior, ideally positioned to render these other formulations obsolete. However, there is an alternative protein source considered to be equally as effective as whey: soy.

Soy protein, much derided in bodybuilding circles as a "feminizing" compound (which, as such, is thought to make it harder to gain muscle), has received a lot of negative press over recent years.

basically... whey..... untill further studied
  • jerseygirl777
    Options
    Can you use the low cal/ 0 sugar ones even if its not before/after exercise. I have Pea Protein I drink after exercise but I seem to be on the run in the AM and was thinking about having a shake instead. Opinions?
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use Casein powder myself, so I can share what I know about it.

It basically serves as a "slow release" protein as compared to something like Whey. It takes between 6-8 hours to fully digest, and hits its peak around 4 hours in. Ideally, you'd want to use it as a meal replacement or, what most people do, use before bed to help keep hunger away and 'feed' your body overnight. It's especially helpful to use in conjunction with something like weight training while losing weight to help preserve lean muscles, which in turn, helps burn fat. I just have a shake every night before bed, it's 120 calories I make sure I have each day.

Whey is good for a post-workout boost when your body is actively repairing and creating new muscles. It digests quickly and is done doing what it does in around 45 minutes.

If you're trying to build muscle (and not worried about calories on a very strict diet!) it's good to use both. If you're watching calories either makes a good supplement as long as you use it at the right time, but you'll want to monitor the calories closely because it can really add up.
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I use Casein powder myself, so I can share what I know about it.

It basically serves as a "slow release" protein as compared to something like Whey. It takes between 6-8 hours to fully digest, and hits its peak around 4 hours in. Ideally, you'd want to use it as a meal replacement or, what most people do, use before bed to help keep hunger away and 'feed' your body overnight. It's especially helpful to use in conjunction with something like weight training while losing weight to help preserve lean muscles, which in turn, helps burn fat. I just have a shake every night before bed, it's 120 calories I make sure I have each day.

Whey is good for a post-workout boost when your body is actively repairing and creating new muscles. It digests quickly and is done doing what it does in around 45 minutes.

If you're trying to build muscle (and not worried about calories on a very strict diet!) it's good to use both. If you're watching calories either makes a good supplement as long as you use it at the right time, but you'll want to monitor the calories closely because it can really add up.

what kind of shake do you make?
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just picked up Jillian Michaels Natural Whey today. It's low in calories, sugar and carb....Got the vanilla cream shake flavor and supposedly, no artificial flavors.....

I'm trying to lose weight since I am a whopping 45+ pounds overweight. I also want to build muscle...just can't figure out if it's best in the morning to have along with breakfast or...post work out only. Does it matter?
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition with about 8oz of water and a few ice cubes in a blender, thay have really good flavors :smile: