Rude Awakening: Flour

Options
I just finished making banana nut bread. I was going through my recipe, looking where I could cut calories like using Splenda instead of sugar and non-fat yogurt. I never blinked twice at flour, now granted, I've never looked at the nutritional information on the back of my bag of flour, but there's nothing to it - right? As I entered my recipe on this website, I was shocked that flour accounted for almost half of the calories. 1 Cup = 400 Calories! (my recipe calls for 2 cups by the way, which is 800 calories for just flour!) I couldn't believe it. This has me wondering:

Is there anything else you can substitute for flour or a low-calorie option???
I'm just using your ordinary "All Purpose White Flour"

Replies

• kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I am interested in this as well! I love baking and this flour conundrum has caused me to stop baking a lot of my favorites. :cry:
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    You could experiment with using whole wheat flour. It'll still be pretty high calorie, but the more complex carbs are better for you. One thing my husband (the baker in our household) has noticed is that whole wheat doughs tend to be a bit denser, so he uses a little less flour to get the right consistency.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I have been notice the same idea with my recipes. I never realized how bad it could be for you until I started entering the recipe here. I tried the lemon loaf with whole wheat flour but it is not the same. I did make pancakes with whole wheat flour and I now like them so much better.
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    King Arthur has a whole wheat blend with HI-MAIZE Good stuff.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/hi-maize-high-fiber-flour-3-lb

Its a little less than white but its got the high fiber to slow down things down. I love all KA products!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sarah has the right idea. While whole wheat flour won't lower the caloric intake, it does increase the nutritional value as it is more complex than simple white flour. I don't bake as much as I used to but when I DO bake I alter my recipes by making half of the required flour whole wheat. This keeps my baked goods from being tough (which happens when you use all whole wheat) and yields are more tender product with a little added nutritional benefit. I have a GREAT recipe for pumpkin pie muffins that are very nutritious and yummy. My family also loves my blueberry muffins (I pick blueberries during the summer and store them) and whole wheat pancakes. But we only make these things on occasion.

You might look for Ellie Kreiger's cookbook called "The Foods You Crave." Ellie is a registered dietitian and has a show on The Food Network called "Healthy Appetite" that has been really helpful for me. I've learned some great recipes and since I'm on the verge of becoming an RD myself, I love that she includes information about nutrition when she cooks something! Her recipes are DELICIOUS (that's where I got my pumpkin pie muffin recipe)! :)

Good luck!
  • 7RandomNames
    Options
    There really isn't a substitute that will give you the same taste. Coconut flour is low calorie, but will flavor what you're baking. Soy flour and Tuber flour are both low calorie, but will only replace 10%-15% of the all-purpose flour. Even using whole wheat flour usually requires about a 50%-50% mix of whole wheat and all-purpose if you want to maintain the traditional texture. I found this if you're interested in what look like some very complex substitutions: http://www.healthy-recipes-for-your-family.com/flour-substitutes.html. Unfortunately, I'd say the only way to go is to be aware of the calorie content and minimize the intake.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    you could also try oat flour -- and if you have a food processor you can make your own. I haven't done this yet, but I've seen suggestions by others for it. Next weekend I'm gonna make banana bread, and I'll be trying this.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I would sub some of the flour with almond mea/flour although doing so probably won't reduce the calories. I guess it would make it more caloric even, but I think it would be more nutritious?
  • demone00
    demone00 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    wow, I didnt even know... I learned something today! I guess my decision 2 cut out a LOT of flour based foods turned out 2 be a good one. Only splurge here or there and very lil if I do.
  • marisa_munches
    Options
    Sarah has the right idea. While whole wheat flour won't lower the caloric intake, it does increase the nutritional value as it is more complex than simple white flour. I don't bake as much as I used to but when I DO bake I alter my recipes by making half of the required flour whole wheat. This keeps my baked goods from being tough (which happens when you use all whole wheat) and yields are more tender product with a little added nutritional benefit. I have a GREAT recipe for pumpkin pie muffins that are very nutritious and yummy. My family also loves my blueberry muffins (I pick blueberries during the summer and store them) and whole wheat pancakes. But we only make these things on occasion.

You might look for Ellie Kreiger's cookbook called "The Foods You Crave." Ellie is a registered dietitian and has a show on The Food Network called "Healthy Appetite" that has been really helpful for me. I've learned some great recipes and since I'm on the verge of becoming an RD myself, I love that she includes information about nutrition when she cooks something! Her recipes are DELICIOUS (that's where I got my pumpkin pie muffin recipe)! :)

Good luck!

I LOVE Ellie Kreiger! I have two of her cookbooks and use them all the time! Her recipes are insanely delicious and creative, but they don't use a ton of really rare/expensive ingredients. Totally recommend it.
  • sharper43
    Options
    this is why i try to stay away from baked goods and bread. White flour is evil. But then again, I love bread. *dreamy sigh*
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I make my banana bread with equal parts whole wheat and regular flour. I really doesn't help the bottom line (calories), but it makes me feel as though I am doing my part in making sure whatever I eat doesn't stay in my gut 'til Jesus comes....I try to do that with other recipes as well (like peanut butter cookies). Depending on the recipe, it only helps the overall flavor.

I (only) try to curb my intake of breads and pastas, and do my best to make sure when I do, I have the better-for-you kind.
  • Yeah Britt, I use whole wheat flour now and although it changes the texture, it's still yummy (doesn't reduces the calories too much..better type of cals though?) ! Ohh, you know that baked apples thing I made and brought to work one day was made with wheat flour and flaxseed. Ooh and for me, it does wonders for your digestion.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I heard (from Alton Brown) that tapioca flour is a good substitute for wheat flour. He used it to make cookies for "wheat intolerence." I don't know about the calories, but you could do some comparison shopping.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing when I made banana bread last week. I totaled up all the calories from the various ingredients and divided by the number of slices I cut the bread into. A slice that is 1/12 of the loaf is 338 calories and 39 grams of carbs. Needless to say, I wrapped the slices, put them in the freezer, and will be getting them out as an infrequent treat. And to think I used to eat at least a couple of slices at one sitting, slathered with butter. Yowza!
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    At least with your own bread you can cut the slices a bit thinner ;). I have one thin slice with breakfast and count it as 1/2 slice, and a half sandwich for lunch each day, so I only have a total "1.5 pieces" of bread at ~250 calories. It's all about moderation, like anything else. At least when you make it at home you know what's going into it.

I make all of the bread my wife and I eat for lunch and at home; sadly now she'll never let us go back which means I'm stuck doing it! :laugh:
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=606713

I used this recipe to make banana muffins this weekend. 80 calories each and very filling. It makes 12. It does call for a cup of flour, but I think the flour to banana ratio is higher than in many recipes. I doubled the applesauce because the recipe called for 1/4 cup and I had to open a 1/2 cup container, so I just dumped the whole thing in. Very moist and it doesn't even need butter. I truly can't tell that they're low-cal. I did bake about 7-8 minutes longer because of the extra applesauce. Oh, and I also added a little cinnamon and nutmeg. There was also a recipe on the same site that claimed to make 58 calorie muffins; however, this recipe looked tastier.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I also make homemade yeast breads, but haven't since I started MFP. The next time I do, I'll make smaller rolls that have a reasonable amount of calories each and freeze those, too.
  • brittanynwillis
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for your input! I had one small slice of banana bread, and then gave the rest of it to my neighbor. I just couldn't stand that one small slice of bread was 206 calories, I could think of many other things that would be better and more nutritional for that number. : ) Looks like I'm going to start cutting back on my baking hobbies. Or just keep on baking, having a small piece and then giving the rest to friends and neighbors! (I'm sure they're going to love me for that one!) Well, the good thing is that: I'm much more aware of the dangers of flour based foods now, and sure will monitor my intake in the future!