Net calories

Options
ace175
ace175 Posts: 518 Member
So MFP sometimes puts in a little message that says I need to eat more cals (at least 1200) or my body will go into starvation mode... I always eat more than 1200 calories because my goal is 1440 calories a day, but when I enter exercise, my net calories will sometimes be UNDER 1200 calories. Do they want your food over 1200 or should your net be over 1200?

Replies

• thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That's weird. It only gives me that message when my total cals are under 1200.

Most people will say it's the net cals that count. But it's one of those things where there is no definitive answer, so do whatever works for you.
  • ace175
    Options
    Yeah it only gives that message as the same as you...which just made me curious about the net calorie number
  • nikkijay
    Options
    hhheeyyyyy guys !! wata crck a lackin!!!!
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That's my confusion too. The net calories part.
  • msmissi
    Options
    I usually just go with my total calories regardless of how much extra they give me for exercising. I'm not sure if this is the best way but it keeps me from over doing it ;)
  • rosebud01
    rosebud01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same here - that pesky message only pops up if i'm under 1200 calories.

The 1200 calorie recommendation is calorie consumption, it's considered the minimum calorific intake for nutrition - for women. If you burn 300 calories at the gym it doesn't compromise the 1200 calories you've already consumed but it does allow you to comsume extra calories without it having a negative effect.

When your net calories are UNDER 1200, that means greater, faster weight-loss. For me the aim is to have my net calories as low as possible, whilst still maintaining 1200 calorie intake. Basically, heaps of exercise.
  • PharmCat12
    Options
    Your body needs a basal level of calories each day just for being alive - breathing, digesting, etc. Most people quote that at 1,200 calories, so you would want a NET of 1,200 daily. Any extra calories you burn from exercise are just that - extra caloric needs that your body doesn't burn just by sitting there. So treat yourself to something special for those extra calories to get yourself above the 1,200 net :)
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    Options

The 1200 calorie recommendation is calorie consumption, it's considered the minimum calorific intake for nutrition - for women. If you burn 300 calories at the gym it doesn't compromise the 1200 calories you've already consumed but it does allow you to comsume extra calories without it having a negative effect.

When your net calories are UNDER 1200, that means greater, faster weight-loss. For me the aim is to have my net calories as low as possible, whilst still maintaining 1200 calorie intake. Basically, heaps of exercise.

If this is true, then I should have been well on my way to weight loss =( My net calories are always below 1200 but.....not a single pound lost and not a single inch lost. I wonder what is wrong..........
  • JHoersten2
    JHoersten2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    MFP bases your weight loss goals off the top. Your calorie goal, aka your NET calorie goal is what you want to be at come the end of the day. If your goal is 1440, you need to be at 1440 NET calories to assume that 2 lbs per week (or whatever you set your goal as). This is marked as healthy weight loss. If you're dropping below 1200, this is unhealthy weight loss, and your body may respond by holding onto every calorie it gets and burying it in fat. (That's why lilmissnan is having issues)

If you exercise them off, then eat them back on. I always recommend keeping your net just a little bit under to accommodate for the calories you may have estimated wrong on. But yes, definitely end your day at your NET calorie goal. It keeps your body fed without hoarding nutrients for later. MFP's program has your body doing this at LESS than it requires, so you will gradually lose fat content by sticking to the program.

Again, if you try to eat too few calories, your body will start hoarding them and you won't see very big results. Just my 2¢

-J
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    Options
    MFP bases your weight loss goals off the top. Your calorie goal, aka your NET calorie goal is what you want to be at come the end of the day. If your goal is 1440, you need to be at 1440 NET calories to assume that 2 lbs per week (or whatever you set your goal as). This is marked as healthy weight loss. If you're dropping below 1200, this is unhealthy weight loss, and your body may respond by holding onto every calorie it gets and burying it in fat. (That's why lilmissnan is having issues)

If you exercise them off, then eat them back on. I always recommend keeping your net just a little bit under to accommodate for the calories you may have estimated wrong on. But yes, definitely end your day at your NET calorie goal. It keeps your body fed without hoarding nutrients for later. MFP's program has your body doing this at LESS than it requires, so you will gradually lose fat content by sticking to the program.

Again, if you try to eat too few calories, your body will start hoarding them and you won't see very big results. Just my 2¢

-J

Interesting. I am finding it hard to make up for the lost calories then and it's probably because I am very restricted on my diet. I am currently trying the Paleo/Primal way of eating which means limited starchy fruits [berries preferably], nuts, seeds, fats [good ones], meats, some dairy. No grains whatsoever so that whole food group is missing. So in my case, since I burn at least 400 [usually more] calories and up 4-5 days a week in cardio [also strength training], I would have to eat like 1700 calories or more so that when I burn off my 400+ calories from exercise, I remain at least 1200. I am finding it difficult to reach that 1700 or more because I am restricted.

This is also why I recently, picked up whey protein thinking it will bump up my calories. What else can I do. I am doing Paleo/Primal to see if I have any gluten intolerance and yes, I am carbphobic unfortunately.

I did this Paleo/Primal once and I was eventually losing 0.5-1 pound a week. I was also eating between 1200-1300 calories a day but at the time was NOT working out. Hmmm... and here I am attempting to do this again..with some grain cheats here and there - still falling between 1200-1300 and even a bit over..however, THIS TIME, I am working out. BUT, no weight loss whatsoever...

Honestly, I don't know what to do.......if I have to eat more...then 1) I can't bring myself to want to eat so many calories to balance out the net calories post work outs...and of course, I have this huge fear of going way over my sugars..because it's still carbs. This is driving me nuts because I have been feeling like I have wasted 6 months of efforts for nothing... Absolutely, nothing.
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Today I've eaten my 1200 calories which is my daily goal. But I've burned off around 665 calories today. Do I need to eat those calories to bring it back up to 1200?
    It makes me think what is the point in doing all that exercise when I just have to eat the calories that I've burned off?
  • ace175
    Options
    Today I've eaten my 1200 calories which is my daily goal. But I've burned off around 665 calories today. Do I need to eat those calories to bring it back up to 1200?
    It makes me think what is the point in doing all that exercise when I just have to eat the calories that I've burned off?

I think the same thing! What's the point of burning so many cals. exercising if I have to just eat them back. Usually when I reach my goal (or sometimes I barely reach my cal. goal period) I'm not hungry and don't really want to eat my exercise calories back..
  • happyhaunt
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking right now. I've just had my dinner and I don't think I could eat another 600 calories tonight!
  • ace175
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking right now. I've just had my dinner and I don't think I could eat another 600 calories tonight!

Exactly! And that stupid button where you "complete your entry" where it tells you "if you ate like this every day for 5 weeks you would weigh: XYZ pounds" drives me crazy! I try not to push it, but I usually do... then I allow that to let me decided if I want to eat those extra 200-300 calories or not! Anyone else have this problem?
  • JHoersten2
    JHoersten2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The point of exercising is to boost your metabolism and increase muscle mass while burning fat; Both of which eat away at your fat storage on their own. You eat back your calories so that you aren't struck with undernourishment. You're training your body the ideals that A. food isn't a rarity in your lifestyle, so there's no need to store it in fat cells, and B. how to build a regular metabolism that takes the calories in and digests them right away.

The issue with not eating your exercise calories back, and I'm stealing this quote from another post on MFP, "Your body sees such little food acquired from all the time and energy spent looking for it as a problem and stores every morsel it can for later... just in case your next food hunt isn't so successful." Your body doesn't know there's a grocery store down the road and you have a stable paycheck. It knows how much energy you exert, and how many calories you intake.

Calories eaten / Energy spent = % If that % is low enough, your body takes action to store nutrients. If it's a higher %, it will start metabolizing and dropping it's fat storage. You may see eating as counter-productive to weight loss, but it is really such a huge part of body training that has a dramatic impact on your goals.

Check it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/179537-i-am-proof-it-works-like-a-charm
  • ace175
    Options

Calories eaten / Energy spent = % If that % is low enough, your body takes action to store nutrients. If it's a higher %, it will start metabolizing and dropping it's fat storage. You may see eating as counter-productive to weight loss, but it is really such a huge part of body training that has a dramatic impact on your goals.

But how do you know if the % is too low or high enough? Or is it another arbitrary number?
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options

If this is true, then I should have been well on my way to weight loss =( My net calories are always below 1200 but.....not a single pound lost and not a single inch lost. I wonder what is wrong..........

I f you eat too few calories your body goes intostarvation mode and you wont lose weight- you may even gain weight. 1200 calories is what your body needs to exsist(breathing, heart beating, basic body function). If youexercise you should cosume some of those calories back so your body doesnt deprive your mucles and body functions of nutrtion
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    going way over my sugars..because it's still carbs. This is driving me nuts because I have been feeling like I have wasted 6 months of efforts for nothing... Absolutely, nothing.

What do you mean sugars? There are no sugar issues with Paleo 'cuz your not eating the ones that are a problem. The only way to get those sugars is in your cheat calories. The sugar in fruit is not bad. Most servings of fruit are low glycemic load.

Plan your daily intake better. You know your going to do X workout and burn X calories so add part of those calories to each meal/snack of the day.

If you're burning a ton of calories in a workout you can replace a large portion of them with a recovery drink. When I'd burn 700-1000 in 45 min to an hour I would replace up to 80% of them within 15 minutes after via a recovery shake(one serving of the ones I use are 240-270). Two scoops in my 20oz shaker and down it goes. This type of recovery nutrition for large calorie burns is permitted in Paleo(for Athletes) and absolutely necessary in most cases. Plus you feel a lot better almost instantly since you've burnt up the majority of you glycogen stores.

Most women should not be below 1200 NET Most men 1500 NET. There are exceptions but this people are much smaller or larger than average which buts the number either up or down.

If your work out is closer to bed, eat some of them and eat the rest tomorrow if you have to. Then you just keep eating one day behind and you actually know the calorie burn you had yesterday vs guessing what you may burn in the coming days workout.

Reduce your calorie burn if you can't eat back what you are burning now. You have to burn 600 calories in exercise per day, for 100 days, just to use a little short of 5lbs of fat as fuel. It comes off quicker with a calorie deficit and reasonable exercise and strength training sessions, which, are also easier to manage and stick to long term. My cardio is 10 minutes. By time I cool down it's 250-300 calories.
  • happyhaunt
    Options
    The point of exercising is to boost your metabolism and increase muscle mass while burning fat; Both of which eat away at your fat storage on their own. You eat back your calories so that you aren't struck with undernourishment. You're training your body the ideals that A. food isn't a rarity in your lifestyle, so there's no need to store it in fat cells, and B. how to build a regular metabolism that takes the calories in and digests them right away.

Thank you! That's a lot of help :)
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    Options
    going way over my sugars..because it's still carbs. This is driving me nuts because I have been feeling like I have wasted 6 months of efforts for nothing... Absolutely, nothing.

What do you mean sugars? There are no sugar issues with Paleo 'cuz your not eating the ones that are a problem. The only way to get those sugars is in your cheat calories. The sugar in fruit is not bad. Most servings of fruit are low glycemic load.

Plan your daily intake better. You know your going to do X workout and burn X calories so add part of those calories to each meal/snack of the day.

If you're burning a ton of calories in a workout you can replace a large portion of them with a recovery drink. When I'd burn 700-1000 in 45 min to an hour I would replace up to 80% of them within 15 minutes after via a recovery shake(one serving of the ones I use are 240-270). Two scoops in my 20oz shaker and down it goes. This type of recovery nutrition for large calorie burns is permitted in Paleo(for Athletes) and absolutely necessary in most cases. Plus you feel a lot better almost instantly since you've burnt up the majority of you glycogen stores.

Most women should not be below 1200 NET Most men 1500 NET. There are exceptions but this people are much smaller or larger than average which buts the number either up or down.

If your work out is closer to bed, eat some of them and eat the rest tomorrow if you have to. Then you just keep eating one day behind and you actually know the calorie burn you had yesterday vs guessing what you may burn in the coming days workout.

Hmmm... I guess for the sugars, I am referring to are from fruit and occasional dried fruit. I eat mostly fresh berries like strawberries and blueberries.. Maybe 1/4 of each or 1/2 cup of either. Sometimes, a small banana or half of one [which I'll probably only do for protein shakes] or an apple, pear or kiwi. Not all the fruits, I've mentioned are eaten on the same day.I do eat greek yogurt which has 'natural sugars' and I make my dressings w/ 1 tsp of agave nectar or honey.. I'll have an occasional larabar. Yesterday, I picked up Jillian Michaels Vanilla Cream Shake whey protein which has 3 grams of sugar [supposedly, stevia] to try out.

Then of course, everything else, has natural sugars in it....I just hate seeing them add up on MFP making it seem like I'm gording in 50grams or more of sugar. Also, I like almond or coconut milk....I'll usually go for unsweetened and occasionally sweetened....