Tall Woman

Options
kristinwalker
kristinwalker Posts: 100 Member
Ok, so this is just my rant.
I am a tall woman. I am 5'11". I am so tired of people saying that the fact I weigh 200+ lbs is because I am tall.
I am not in denial...NO IT ISN'T... It is because I am overweight. AND I am overweight because I eat too much crap and I don't exercise enough. I sit on my butt all day instead of being active, I take the easy way out, and I know the right choices even though I don't choose them. Thus, the fact that my BMI is 29 is not because I am tall. The fact that my body fat % is 31 is not because I am tall! My healthy weight for my height is 137-178 and 200+ is overweight.
So, all you not-tall people please stop telling tall people that they weigh what they do because they are tall. We know our bodies and what is right for our height.
If we say we are fat...we are. End of story

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    point taken! ;)
  • HungryTuna
    Options
    You said it best! I'm 5'9 and 170lbs.. I hear it all the time. At least I'm grateful my height helps me look thinner at times, but I still know what's best for my body!

Good for you. Now, onto making those healthy choices woman! =P
  • ame19798
    ame19798 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you and I know exactly what you are talking about! It irritates me so much!!! Good luck on your goals and journey along the way!
  • sweetheart8909
    sweetheart8909 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I also get that but I see it as a blessing. I need to loose about 30 pounds but I only look chubby.
  • Rdlm1001
    Rdlm1001 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and have that said to me too. My favorite is when people tell me I am just big boned... Ummm, no, that would be the layer of fat surrounding my, perhaps longer than normal, but regular width bones! On the other side it does crack me up when the little girls complain about three pounds. In my world, that is a trip to the toilet! We are luck that we have more places for it to go, so our weight gains are not as obvious. Although they struggle with 3lbs and I am always battling 10.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Amen! And so true. I love when someone tells you you can "carry" the weight bec/you are so tall. No I want to be long lean and sexy!!!
  • carollane
    carollane Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I hear you girl!!!! I am 6' and am told all the time "but you carry your weight so well, because you are tall" TELL THAT TO MY HEART WHEN I CARRY THIS HUNK OF LARD UP A FLIGHT OF STAIRS OR TWO!! I am so with you girl!! :happy:
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    wow. I'm only 5'7" but am surrounded by a group of friends who average 5'3" I always look like a behomoth next to them and still get the "you're lucky you carry your weight so evenly"
    well yeah. sure. i agree that i'm lucky that it's not all in my hips or something, but that doesnt mean that i should keep it just b/c i look "okay"
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    absolutely! I'm also 5'11" and according to wrist and elbow measurements, I have a small frame. But I was a size 18, for goodness' sake! I am thankful I could carry 200+ pounds a lot better than if I was shorter... but that doesn't mean I don't need to loose it!
  • boxingsquirrel
    Options
    There are a lot of us on here! Most people are asking me "why do you need to lose weight?" seeming to think that cos i'm tall it's okay.

My family on the other hand think it's about time. I'm much happier slimmer but it's a challenge.

We're all here for a bit of support that we may not get at home.

Good luck :)
  • boxingsquirrel
    Options
    How do you know what your build is from wrist/elbow measurements? IS there a guide somewhere?

At 5'10" I have larger bones in my wrist than my 6'2" brother... not sure that's a good thing!
  • skdy
    skdy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. I tell people how much I weigh and they act surprised and say, "since you are tall, you wear it well".... like that is supposed to make me feel better about being heavier than I should be. I know the truth.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    You said it!! We tall girls know where we need to be!
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    Options
    I have a gym buddy who keeps telling me I'm so toned,and I carry the weight well,she is also shocked at how much I weigh,but lugging around this high bodyfat and weight isn't an excuse because I'm tall,so I know what you mean!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I'm only 5' 8" but I in now way get the 'you don't have to lose weight' in my life HAHA..I am very proportionate and most people do not realize that I have so much to lose, but frankly, my mother is Asian and every single phone call with her is an interrogation about exactly which size I am. Me having the inappropriate brain almost wanted to suggest SHE marry my husband to please him (because that is her emphasis, what will my husband DO and THINK because I've gained some weight)
    I however have no illusions about my need to get fit and frankly I'm an ectomorph and I *do* have a slight frame versus a large one. I am not in any way shape or form 'happy' with where I am at and as far as I'm concerned about all of those people saying who cares you're taller..I want to be *better* and *best* ok? Yeah.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    @ boxingsquirrel: the easiest/quickest way to determine frame size (not sure about most accurate) is to wrap your fingers around your wrist. Large frame, fingers (thumb and index) do not touch; medium frame, fingers touch; small frame, fingers overlap. The other determinant is to measure the space between the bones (outer "knobs") on your bent elbow- google and you'd find instructions. :)

Having a larger or smaller frame isn't good vs. bad... it's just part of why people of the same height can have different healthy weights and sizes. HTH!
  • honeyrabbit
    Options
    Absolutely agree with all of the above!!!
    When I told my friends that i'm aiming to lose around 40-50 pounds they all looked at me with horror and expressed their concern that this would be way too skinny and i'd be damaging my health!!!

The actual facts are that if I DON'T lose around this amount of weight then i'm in more danger of putting my health at risk! This would only take me to the upper end of what's supposed to be a healthy weight for my height (i'm 5ft 11). When I tell them what I weigh it's like they don't believe me....it's really frustrating!!!!!!!

I'm currently a UK size 16 and am only aiming to be a 12-14....that's hardly shocking!!

Good to come across like minded ladies with the same issues!
  • honeyrabbit
    Options
    How do you know what your build is from wrist/elbow measurements? IS there a guide somewhere?

At 5'10" I have larger bones in my wrist than my 6'2" brother... not sure that's a good thing!

here's a link which shows you how to calculate your frame size

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/fsz
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    I hear ya! I'm 6'1" and people have said similar things to me. I'm guessing it is just a way for them to be nice. When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter what other people say to me or about me. I know when I'm not healthy and I know what to do to get healthy, it just comes down to making the decision to do what I know is right. Of course now I'm in the 150s and everyone who hasn't seen me in quite awhile is shocked when they see me and they tell me I'm too skinny. So, it seems to be one extreme or the other. But again, it is not what other people tell me, I know my BMI and body fat percentage and I'm very healthy now. I might just work on losing a little more body fat, but I don't generally share that with the people who are freaking out telling me I'm too skinny. I'm doing it for me not them.
  • lasvegasdiva
    Options
    True that!!! 5"11 here, ABSOLUTELY understand/annoyed.