why does white bread have less calories than wheat?

JoseGalvezMusic
JoseGalvezMusic Posts: 1
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
You hear it everywhere, EAT WHEAT... not white bread.
than why the eff when you look at identical bread brands and compare.. the white bread always has LESS calories per serving.
I understand that wheat has more nutrients and its better for you in that regard... but here in this CALORIE COUNTING CONSCIOUS world we are ALL in... what's gives?

what kinda bread should i eat?

...dammit.

Replies

• frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    take a look at all of the ingredients. Whole Wheat bread actually contains more sugar than white bread.
    If you're looking for a healthier alternative that doesn't contain wheat, buy sprouted grain bread. It's delicious!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Just read your labels and make the best choice from what you need and what's in front of you.

I don't eat wheat pasta...oh no! Why? People told me that wheat has more fiber and less sugar. So what did I see when I compared labels? I saw that white and wheat were equal with fiber and sugar in most cases. The cases in where the wheat won out, it tasted terrible. :bigsmile:

Now this didn't give me a license to eat like crap all the time, but white flour pasta and breads are not stopping my weight loss at all when I eat them in moderation. I am consistently at or slightly under my calorie goal, and I have been losing weight each week, not to mention the 2 inches that have vacated my waistline. :flowerforyou:
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    mine depends on what i am eatinf if it is a sandwitch i eat wheat, if it is sloppy joes i eat white buns, pasta i dont like the wheat so i eat regular, just depends on what meal i have
  • SunnyFitt
    SunnyFitt Posts: 34 Member
    I think it does make a difference and it is better to chose wheat. It is a good thumb rule always to chose the more "complicated" carbs if you are going to eat carbs. I could go on about the difference in white and wheat but to but the bottom line basically is that from you wheat you get nutritions so they are not "empty" calories and that complicated carbs don't blow up your sugar levels and then leave you wanting more. You process them slower and thus maintain a healthier level of bloodsugar and crave less/need less.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    While calorie counting is, in its most basic sense, about a number, the theory behind it is getting the most bang for your buck. There are a certain amount of nutrients you need for your body to function each day. Using calorie counting, you are trying to meet those needs with the fewest calories. This means you need to look for the most nutrient dense foods. It doesn't mean you completely deprive yourself of some indulgences, but overall you should be trying to fill up with the best fuel possible.

So. I can go eat a donut, for say 250 cals. I could also go eat a steak for 250 cals. Which will give me the most nutrition? Obviously, the steak.

The issue with white bread is in how the flour is processed. White flour is processed to the extent that many of the nutrients you need are removed, and what you are left with is a simple carb. Simple carbs are broken down in the body easily, and easily stored as fat, without conveying much in the way of nutrients other than basic energy. Simple carbs are processed so quickly that you feel hungry again very quickly, prompting you to eat more. Since this leads to eating again (and probably more simple carbs), you may actually end up eating MORE cals than if you had chosen the higher cal wheat bread.

Wheat bread is more of a complex carb, which takes longer for the body to break down, so it isn't stored as fat as easily/quickly. And it contains the whole grain, which includes fiber, which is good for your intestines. Also, the complex carbs make you feel full longer, because it takes longer for them to be broken down - meaning you're less likely to be as hungry as quickly.

So, while a slice of white bread may contain less calories, you receive very little benefit from those calories. If you take an equal amount of each bread, say 100 grams - you receive much more nutrition and satisfaction from the wheat, for the same amount of food.

So, when possible, it's better to choose whole grain wheat, even if the cals are a little higher. :flowerforyou:
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    there are a lot of factors but the big one is that whole wheat flour has a good bit more fat in it. the other thing is making a yeast leaven bread from entirely whole wheat flour is virtually impossible. the reason being that the germ literally cuts the gluten strands so they have to use other additives to compensate and get a good rise. anyway the carbs in whole wheat and the carbs in white are exactly the same the difference is that the whole has more vitamins and minerals that you can get elsewhere. so if you don't like the taste, or are worried about the calories stick to white the loss isn't that significant.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    if i eat white bread, i find im hungry again quite quickly. It might have less cals but it doesnt sustain for very long, so i end up snacking more
  • Yuliisa
    Yuliisa Posts: 2
    ladyhawk00, Now that was a great response to the question!
  • Yuliisa
    Yuliisa Posts: 2
    Now that is an amazing response and I completely agree to what you say. Nice!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Go Ladyhawk! Very informative, thanks.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    ladyhawk00, Now that was a great response to the question!

Also, the soysos response is right on. You can make 100% whole wheat flour bread but it is dense, dry and crumbly unless you add more than just the basic four of bread making (flour, water, salt, and yeast).

When I make 100% whole wheat or 100% rye "loaf" -- more properly described as a "brick" or "doorstop" I add a good deal of vital wheat gluten to try to keep the crumbling at bay. I also use more liquid, maybe some honey, milk, whey, whatever to avoid total dry- as-concrete consistency.

When it comes right down to it, though, if you've never had a thin slice of a deeply moist, heavy as lead, 100% rye, you ain't lived. Speaking of which, I might just put a loaf together now. It's still early enough in the day for that. Hubby will be very happy and I can control myself with rye -- rather than inhale the whole loaf before it cools to room temp!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    take a look at all of the ingredients. Whole Wheat bread actually contains more sugar than white bread.
    If you're looking for a healthier alternative that doesn't contain wheat, buy sprouted grain bread. It's delicious!
    Actually it depends what kind of bread you are eating, they contain sprouted wheat...last time I checked that is still wheat. Take Ezekiel, the main ingredient is sprouted wheat, which means it contains mostly sprouted wheat...that is every variety of Ezekiel.

I eat Pepperidge Farm whole grain Oat, although I do like Ezekiel bread...I should get some.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    While calorie counting is, in its most basic sense, about a number, the theory behind it is getting the most bang for your buck. There are a certain amount of nutrients you need for your body to function each day. Using calorie counting, you are trying to meet those needs with the fewest calories. This means you need to look for the most nutrient dense foods. It doesn't mean you completely deprive yourself of some indulgences, but overall you should be trying to fill up with the best fuel possible.

So. I can go eat a donut, for say 250 cals. I could also go eat a steak for 250 cals. Which will give me the most nutrition? Obviously, the steak.

The issue with white bread is in how the flour is processed. White flour is processed to the extent that many of the nutrients you need are removed, and what you are left with is a simple carb. Simple carbs are broken down in the body easily, and easily stored as fat, without conveying much in the way of nutrients other than basic energy. Simple carbs are processed so quickly that you feel hungry again very quickly, prompting you to eat more. Since this leads to eating again (and probably more simple carbs), you may actually end up eating MORE cals than if you had chosen the higher cal wheat bread.

Wheat bread is more of a complex carb, which takes longer for the body to break down, so it isn't stored as fat as easily/quickly. And it contains the whole grain, which includes fiber, which is good for your intestines. Also, the complex carbs make you feel full longer, because it takes longer for them to be broken down - meaning you're less likely to be as hungry as quickly.

So, while a slice of white bread may contain less calories, you receive very little benefit from those calories. If you take an equal amount of each bread, say 100 grams - you receive much more nutrition and satisfaction from the wheat, for the same amount of food.

So, when possible, it's better to choose whole grain wheat, even if the cals are a little higher. :flowerforyou:
    Well said, but I think the piece you are leaving out here is if you are eating at a deficit, you are not storing fat, if you are storing fat, you are not eating at a deficit...doesn't matter what you are eating, matters if you are eating at a deficit or not.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    You hear it everywhere, EAT WHEAT... not white bread.
    than why the eff when you look at identical bread brands and compare.. the white bread always has LESS calories per serving.
    I understand that wheat has more nutrients and its better for you in that regard... but here in this CALORIE COUNTING CONSCIOUS world we are ALL in... what's gives?

what kinda bread should i eat?

...dammit.

Check the label. The whole wheat bread sold in most stores has more sugar or high fructose corn syrup.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    White bread on average is less calories dense and there are a few reasons for that. One is obviously what most have already stated, whole wheat contains the whole grain which means more fat and a tad more natural sugar. Also if you look at most whole wheat breads you will notice that a majority of them have a larger mass per slice. More mass = more calories. If you find whole wheat bread with the same exact size as a piece of white bread you will not see quite as large a calorie difference, though there is still one usually.

Second is that white bread rises more because of how its manufactured. It has more air baked in. Ever taken a loaf of white processed and squished the entire thing down into the size of a baseball. Try doing that with a real Whole Wheat loaf (not the "wheat" loafs that are not actually whole wheat at all. You can squeeze them down quite a bit but they don't compress nearly as much. There are other reasons for this besides density but that it the major contributor.

Bottom line is one should embrace the extra calories since white bread these days is almost empty calories. If they weren't forced by law to refortify the bread with nutrients it would be a complete waste of calories.

The one thing you do have to watch out for is heavily modified whole wheat bread, there are so many brands out there that add in extra fat and sugar to improve the taste, its easier then finding a better recipe and some companies are just lazy that way. I have seen some crazy added sugar totals in some whole wheat bread.
This discussion has been closed.