Does anyone know anything about Mono?

Options
I was diagnosed with it 5 years ago, just after giving birth to my fourth (and last) child. Appearantly I had it while I was pregnant. I was told by one doctor it was over and It wouldn't come back. Another doctor told me it will never go away. That it is a virus similar to the herpes virus (which isn't just an std. the herpes virus is also respnsible for cold sores) It goes dormant, like hibernation, and can come back at ANY time. I trust the second doctor more. I feel like my symptoms have returned and it is making it VERY difficult to exercise. Any information or advise would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    it is a virus... you can have it but if you get tested for it through blood it will always show up.... however there is the ebv panel which will tell you if it is active or if it was a past infection... some of the same symptoms you have with mono can also be due to other things i suggest if its tired and weakness have a visit with your doctor, you may be vitamin deficient, more so with vit d and b12... can also be other things as well but safer to have a chat with your physician
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My brother was just diagnosed with Mono last month. The dr told him he will always have it, but he will never have the sickness from it again. He is now like a carrier of the virus or whatever it is. So, while most of the time it is dormant, but he will have flare ups and everyone around him is at risk of getting it.
  • eabeumer
    Options
    I had it when I was in grad school. Developed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome after that. I was told it could "reactivate" down through the years. Try getting some rest, scale back on your exercise routine and go to the doctor. Maybe something else like low thyroid. Best of luck.
  • momof7withchrist
    Options
    Thank you, Michellenoel01. My grama has a fatigue syndrom and her dr suggested vitamin b12. She said something to me about that yesterday. I will try it.
  • csmbsailor
    csmbsailor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Dr. just married to a nurse, lol. Mono is a virus, here is a link to the NIH info on Mono http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001617

It could be that you are wearing your body out with over training and not taking a break, I am currently dealing with a general feeling of being run down. I think having to juggle 6 kids and all their schedules could be a factor too.
    you may want to go light on the training for a few days. Just my opinion for what its worth
  • momof7withchrist
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just moved and don't have a dr (or insurance). So tryin to do best I can. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome- that's what my grama has. Her dr told her mono & cfs are both caused by different variants of the Epstein Barr Virus ( not sure on spelling). I am trying to rest, which isn't easy with 4 kids. I am going to try the vitamin b12. Someone else suggested it might be my iron. I am going to try everything I can BEFORE heading to dr (cuz that is expensive)!!!
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Mono is caused by the EBV virus. Once you've been exposed you will always have a positive EBV IGG titer. If you have a postive IGM titer you have current infection. The bad thing about viruses is they like to linger so sypmtoms can be present for weeks, months