Real Lemons vs Bottled Lemon Juice

Options
I've been reading all kinds of articles that promote lemon juice for a variety of health benefits including weight loss and digestion. I've been squirting a few teaspoons of bottled lemon juice into my water in the morning. Will this have the same benefits as squeezing juice from a lemon? I realize that the natural juice from a lemon is probably all around better but for someone who needs a quick solution and has a hard time keeping fruit fresh I'm really hoping I can get the same benefits from the bottled juice. Thanks :happy:

Replies

• laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    no idea..I use to lemon squeeze bottle thing too...curious to know!
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Usually lemon juice from a bottle is concentrated and not as fresh (obviously). I can't stand bottled lemon juice, so when I go grocery shopping and buy my lemons, I go home and just slice one up into wedges real quick. It takes like... 2 minutes and then they're in a sandwich baggy in the fridge for whenever I need them! Trust me... once you go to fresh lemon juice, the stuff in the bottle just won't be the same! :)
  • Nicki1984
    Nicki1984 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am curious to know as well. I do the same thing in the morning.
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Bottled lemon juice doesnt have the same effect. When the lemon juice is bottled and shipped to the store it loses nutrients. I squeez half of a fresh lemon into warm water every morning. And though I have been doing it for the past year I hardly think it has anything to do with weight loss. But it does have alot of other benifits. But definatly stick to fresh lemon
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Good topic.

I'd like to read some opinions on this.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Too much lemon can be bad for your teeth. I've heard that the acids can eat away at the enamel.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I like both kinds pretty much equally, but real lemons do taste a little better to me. I assume real lemon juice from a lemon is better but if I need to put it in a water bottle & want to avoid seeds I use the concentrated kind. If I am drinking from a glass with ice, I opt for the real lemon because it does taste a little better and seems to help me drink more water for some reason than the concentrated lemon juice with water does. I don't know if they really are all that different - most bottled lemon juice says it is lemon & a small amount of sodium, just more concentrated. I think there are pros and cons to both that make them about equal, but I'd say if you can, go with the real lemon more often.
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing and I was told Lemon is amazing for you and that bottled is not the same (obviously) and you will lose some nutrients but the bottled will not hurt you or be a drastic difference. Fresh is always better regardless. I use both bottled and fresh. Both work for me!

I would assume you would need massive amounts of lemon to ruin your enamel...
  • jlrhawk
    jlrhawk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying! Using the bottled stuff is so convenient but I may just have to try real lemons every now and then. Happy losing :)
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    This is a good question...I think I'm partial to fresh lemons myself....lemons do affect enamel...you just need to rinse your mouth after you drink lemon juice....
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice can seriously harm tooth enamel when drank without being in water (pure juice). When you mix it with water it dilutes it and shouldn't have a significant effect. However, if concerned- rince your mouth out with plain water after drinking the glass of lemon water. :)
  • bgib1984
    bgib1984 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use bottled lemon juice as well, but since fresh is better, you can buy fresh lemon and squeeze the juice in an ice cube and store in freezer. Fresh lemon juice only keeps in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, so this will prolong the juice for your water.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It's concentrated when its' bottled and they add things to it to preserve it and it will lose nutrients and some benefits when it goes though the botteling process. It's not as good for you as freshly squeezed lemon juice. Plus.. if you squeeze lemons into a container the juice goes bad after 2 or 3 days.. bottled juice from teh store lasts a long long time.. what does that tell you...

Buy 2 lemons,, cut into wedges and put in a ziplock sandwich bag. Just as easy as getting out the bottle and squeezing it. This is what I do. I do this with limes too. I don't like it in warm water though.. I use fresh squeezed lemon/lime in place of salad dressing.

ps.. i love the lemon ice cube idea above!
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Since it just adds flavor, who cares?

Lemon juice doesn't 'eat fat" or any other nonsense.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice in water helps you pee more, which is more or less the only added benefit you get from drinking it. It's good for times of bloating to help flush you out. Some people insist that it has to be hot lemon water and fresh lemons. Your mileage may very.

However, check your lemon juice if you buy it in the little squeeze bottles. Often they aren't really lemon juice at all and many have sugar added as an ingredient. If you're going to be adding it to your water, you should probably just go staright lemons. I like to drink warm lemon water around TOM and when I do I use half a lemon squeezed. That's plenty for one coffee cup full of warm water.

I usually rinse my mouth after drinking it though to get rid of the acidy lemon feeling on my teeth.
  • linnaeus
    linnaeus Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For budget reasons, I have bottled lemon juice in my fridge for cooking. If I were using it as part of a fast or something I'd probably go with real lemons.

Also, they keep forever in the fridge. Buy them on sale, throw them in the crisper, should be good for at least a few weeks if not longer. Making sure there's no moisture in the crispers is key to freshness, so I use paper towels to line my drawers.
  • jovaughnrod
    jovaughnrod Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wonderful idea! Thanks for the tip! I suffer from water retention and just had surgery on both legs to help. I was told to drink lemon water and found myself going through lemons quickly from them going bad. I will definitely use this idea!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Bottled lemon juice has nothing for 1 tbsp, raw lemon juice has vitamin C. Additional vitamin C, calcium, and iron are found in the peel.

<strong>Nutrition facts for Real Lemon bottled lemon juice, from concentrate</strong>
    Serving Size: 1 serving; 1 tbsp
    Amount Per Serving

Calories 0.0
    Total Fat 0.0 g
    Saturated Fat 0.0 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    Sodium 0.0 mg
    Potassium 0.0 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
    Sugars 0.0 g
    Protein 0.0 g

Vitamin A 0.0 %
    Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
    Vitamin B-6 0.0 %
    Vitamin C 0.0 %
    Vitamin D 0.0 %
    Vitamin E 0.0 %
    Calcium 0.0 %
    Copper 0.0 %
    Folate 0.0 %
    Iron 0.0 %
    Magnesium 0.0 %
    Manganese 0.0 %
    Niacin 0.0 %
    Pantothenic Acid 0.0 %
    Phosphorus 0.0 %
    Riboflavin 0.0 %
    Selenium 0.0 %
    Thiamin 0.0 %
    Zinc

<strong>Raw, fresh lemon juice</strong>
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 15 g
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories
    Calories from Fat
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat
    0.1g
    0%
    Cholesterol
    0mg
    0%
    Sodium
    3mg
    0%
    Total Carbohydrates
    0.3g
    0%
    Protein
    0.1g
    Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 12%
    Calcium 0% • Iron 0%
    Nutrition Grade C+
    * Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Edited/Oh well, my attempt at "bolding" the subheadings didn't work.
  • LQQKEN4
    LQQKEN4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    16 Health Benefits Of Drinking Warm Lemon Water

Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies
    Lemons contain pectin fiber which is very beneficial for colon health and also serves as a powerful antibacterial
    It balances maintain the pH levels in the body
    Having warm lemon juice early in the morning helps flush out toxins
    It aids digestion and encourages the production of bile
    It is also a great source citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium
    It helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that cause infections and diseases
    It helps reducing pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid
    It helps cure the common cold
    The potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells
    It strengthens the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute
    It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver In case of a heart burn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief
    It is of immense benefit to the skin and it prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne
    It helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems
    Aids in the production of digestive juices
    Lemon juice helps replenish body salts especially after a strenuous workout session

Packed with all the goodness, make it a point to begin your day with a glass of warm lemon juice. Its cleansing and healing effects will have positive effects on your health in the long run. However it is very important to note that lemon juice when comes directly in contact with the teeth, can ruin the enamel on the teeth. Hence, it is advised to consume it diluted and also rinse your mouth thoroughly after drinking lemon juice.

What Are Your Favorite Ways To Use Lemons?

Source: http://www.undergroundhealth.com...
  • PoeRaven8991
    Options
    Usually lemon juice from a bottle is concentrated and not as fresh (obviously). I can't stand bottled lemon juice, so when I go grocery shopping and buy my lemons, I go home and just slice one up into wedges real quick. It takes like... 2 minutes and then they're in a sandwich baggy in the fridge for whenever I need them! Trust me... once you go to fresh lemon juice, the stuff in the bottle just won't be the same! :)

I do this too. Also, lemons will keep just sitting pretty on a counter for a week. I loathe bottled lemon juice. I don't think it is good at all.