How to push yourself for a better workout

Options
How to push yourself for a better workout

BY MOLLY SUHADOLNIK
THE STATE JOURNAL-REGISTER
Published Feb. 22, 2011 @ 11 p.m.

MOLLY SUHADOLNIK: Pushing yourself in workouts is beneficial to other areas of your life. Learning how to ignore your body's signals of pain teaches you lessons about work, family life and every day stress.

A normal slow paced circuit workout, easy cardio session or "arms day" type of workout will not take you there. In order to gain mentally from workouts, you must find a way to workout so that you are not only physically challenged, but also mentally challenged.

Are your workouts mentally challenging? Start to take note on what thoughts go through your head during your workout. If you are thinking about work, what to wear out this weekend, what your girlfriend said to you this morning, or if you can read a magazine or book during your workout, you are NOT getting any mental gains.

If you are constantly having an inner battle with yourself during your workout (keep going, don't quit, just two more minutes, just 5 more reps, etc.) chances are you are pushing yourself mentally and physically. This goes along the same lines as intensity (see article from two weeks prior), pushing yourself past your limits. If you aren't having this inner battle with yourself, you are wasting your time in the gym.

Learning to listen to your inner voice and becoming aware of the things it is saying to you is the first step to making gains towards being mentally and physically fitter. Once you start to recognize this, you are able to start to control those thoughts into positive, encouraging words that will keep you working hard. They also help you learn how to push past the pain and ignore it, knowing that you aren't going to get injured, you are just going to get stronger and fitter from it.

This mental edge has a very strong effect on other areas of your life. Problems with work become easier to handle. Putting yourself through a painful workout and doing more than you ever have before is so empowering that it makes challenges at work, with family, and daily struggles seem like nothing. Your thoughts become more positive and encouraging and you are able to face problems with a more organized thought process.

This same principle applies to any type of challenge in your life. Workouts can be spiritual, once you can become aware of the fact that your thoughts control everything. This could be compared to realizing God is in each of us that we can become "enlightened" like Buddha, the Divine Sprit is with us, or whatever your religious beliefs are. This is such a giant step in your life that will not only take you physically farther, but mentally farther in everything you do.

Replies

• miznel80
    miznel80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :) I always feel weird when I talk to others how I have a conversation with myself when I am working out. Now I know I'm just challenging myself in every way possible :)
  • 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Love your motivational article!:smile:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    No doubt...I keep saying "come on baby girl you can get through this"...I'm glad to know I'm working my mind and body...
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I'm working to overcome the negative voices in my head, and it's a struggle.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    That is my favorite part of the workout process, especially running! It's mind over matter every time and if feels so great to harness that.

Thanks for the article!
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to improve upon my mile time...and I find myself talking to myself during this time....that I can do it, to come on...and guess what? I am improving every day...
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Good to know I'm getting a mental workout! I had to encourage myself the last ten minutes of my workout last night.

Thanks for posting!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this!!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Great article! I know when I was a competitive swimmer back in the day, I never doubted my ability to do anything, even outside of working out, because I was so used to pushing myself beyond what I had though was possible!