*High protein snacks for after evening workouts*

Options
I'm nearing the end of my weight loss journey and am trying to up my protein eating a small snack and protein filled drink after my morning workout and a lighter one after my evening workout. I usually jump on my elliptical for 30min to an hour starting at 7pm, after we've already eaten dinner and it has settled, when I finish my workout I get my kids ready for bed and tuck them in then come down to and hang with my husband. It's usually 8:30ish by this time, I never liked eating after 7 but now that I've switched some things up and I'm doing at least half of my cardio in the evenings I am starting to get hungry later.

I don't need much but I am in need of some (preferably) higher protein, lighter snacks. Right now I've been eating a 45cal piece of Sarah Lee whole wheat bread with a tbsp and a half of peanut butter or a banana and 1-2tbsp of p.b., or I'll either drink a half of a glass of milk with either of those, or I'll drink a whole glass of milk by itself, (so roughly about 10-15g of protein) I need more then milk and p.b. though and not something time consuming to make, just something I can grab real quick or throw together quickly and go sit and relax with my husband :flowerforyou: :smile:

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I also work out at night so I need snack ideas also...sometimes I just have one hard boiled egg. Sometimes I work out right from work so I need an afternoon snack before to get me going so Im interested to see some suggestions.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    How about some protein powder? Or cottage cheese? Cottage cheese has casein protein which absorbs slowly so it's ideal for night time.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious about after work out snack....the only time I'm able to work out is after work....so when I'm done it's dinner time.....
  • lemanda
    lemanda Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Try some hummus or tzatiki and a few veggies like carrots, cucumbers, peppers and mushrooms,
  • cmkrawczyk
    Options
    I have 10 or so raw hazelnuts or raw almonds and a big glass of water. That usually does it for me. If I am feeling a bit hypoglycemic I have a small serving of dried fruit or fresh fruit. But not too much sugar.
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    Cottage cheese, yogurt, a low carb protein shake... :)
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    Are you worried about muscle soreness or is it just for the calories?

I take a recovery drink after every workout it actually has a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. So does a bagel or chocolate milk.

But you wanted protein, how about a protein bar, clif builders have 20 grams of protein.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I like to use non fat plain greek yogurt. If you use the plain one, you can add whatever things you are in the mood for.
    Sweeten with splenda (or your sweetener of choice), add fresh fruit, almond slices, almond or peanut butter, unsweetened cocoa, granola, shredded unsweetened coconut, pureed pumpkin, cinnamon, etc. Get creative! Greek yogurt is high in protein!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You could have a Chobani Greek yogurt, celery or an apple with peanut butter, cottage cheeese, string cheese, a protein bar, or a protein shake.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    It takes about 1.5 hours for the food you eat to actually reach your blood stream so why not have a protein shake before your work out, that way you wont be eating late and the protein will be ready when your body needs it. I use optimum nutrition 100% gold standard whey in extreme chocolate milk mixed with water. it tastes great with out a funny texture and is 130 cals with 24 g protein.

Protein has really helped my weight loss, especially eating about 30 g with in 30 minutes of waking up in the morning! Good luck!
  • Malinsfeet
    Malinsfeet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like making smoothies post/pre workout. Usually I'll throw 1 cup of ice, 1/2 cup of milk, 1 scoop of chocolate slim fast powder, 1/2 banana, and 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter in the blender for a very tasty and filling snack at around 270 cal. You could always make half of this too for a smaller snack. It makes about 2 cups worth.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    A small snack with some lean protein, carbs and healthy fat is perfect for after your cardio workout. If you were doing some intense strenght training, I would say you would want a bigger dose of fast digesting protein (like a whey protein shake). But, for 30 min of cardio, a light balanced snack is enough.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    How about some protein powder? Or cottage cheese? Cottage cheese has casein protein which absorbs slowly so it's ideal for night time.

Ooooh I lke that, thank you! Any suggestions about something to add to that, maybe some nuts, I was thinking fruit like I do in the mornings, but that sugar rush would kick my butt right before bed, and that is the exact opposite of what I want to do, The whole reason I've switched to evening workouts is to help me sleep better I'm a huge "tosser and turner" lol! So the more protein, and less sugar, the better!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    WOW, these are all such GREAT suugestions, I will have a different snack every night for the next 2wks now, lol. thanks so uch pal's!
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    protein shake with a banana, greek yogurt and berries.

Needed the protein and carbs.

But make sure it's eaten with in half an hr of finishing.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    A favorite one of mine is taking plain Greek or normal Yogurt, adding a shot of protein powder, a shot of honey, Some cocoa powder and a couple almonds. High in protein and chocolaty goodness.

though i have tons of Great snack recipes!

Nut N Fudge Var --> 200 cal--> 20.2.g protein-->6.91 G Fat--> 16.16 g Carbs
    2 tsp Philadelphia light Cream Cheese
    1/4 tsp Creamy Light peanut butter
    1 tsp grated unsweetened chocolate
    1 1/2 tsp honey
    1/8 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp walnuts
    25 gm protein powder
    1 tsp craisins
    -->melt cream cheese, peanut butter, honey in the microwave. add the remaining indredients . will become stiff. place in a plastic bag, shape into a bar. refrigerate.
    It makes one bar. i usuually times this recipe by 5 so i can just grab and go.

Tropical Pizza bites--> 200 Cal--> 18.73 G Protein-->7.66 G Fat--> 26.35 G Carbs
    1 whole wheat pita
    1/4 cup pizza sauce--> progresso is a good one
    1 1/2 oz low fat mozzarella
    1/2 oz healthy choice cooked ham deli meat
    2 tbsp pineapple wedges
    1/4 cup chopped green pepper
    --> place pita on a pan. Cover pita with toppings, bake 8 to 10 minutes on 450.

I have tons more if you would like em
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I was a little surprised at how much sodium is in cottage cheese...or maybe it's the brand I prefer? Just from my own experience, eating something higher in sodium really affects how I feel in the morning - bloated ,etc. Just a thought. Although...it is YUMMY.

I love the ideas on here! Especially the one of eating something high in protein before your workout.

I have been eating a fat booster type bar from melaleuca that you eat before a workout and then recovery drink after. Not sure why,but there's hardly any protein in it. Thinking about switching up to something different that is higher in protein. Great ideas on here!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Ooooh I lke that, thank you! Any suggestions about something to add to that, maybe some nuts, I was thinking fruit like I do in the mornings, but that sugar rush would kick my butt right before bed, and that is the exact opposite of what I want to do, The whole reason I've switched to evening workouts is to help me sleep better I'm a huge "tosser and turner" lol! So the more protein, and less sugar, the better!

I like to blend my cottage cheese, then mix it with sugar free jello cheesecake. Top with fresh strawberries. Tastes like strawberry cheesecake without all the calories.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    What are these recovery Drinks that i Randomly hear bout? Where do you get them>
  • TotallyYoga
    Options
    My favorite high protein/after even snack is a tuna sandwich on mutligrain wasa. Just a dab or mustard, tons of cracked pepper and chopped up celery with the added crunch of the crispbread is actually quite good and filling. I am getting tons of protein from the tuna and wasa, plus fiber so it keeps me full and satisfied without that awful weighed down feeling. If I'm feeling fancy I like to melt laughing cow cheese on it for an healthier tuna melt.

I actually do some work with Wasa and I like to check out the Facebook page for great recipes: www.facebook.com/wasa