Eating Excercise Calories

Options
So I am completely frustrated. I have my calories set at 1200 per day. I also excercise using a heart rate monitor and I normally burn 400-800 calories a day.

I am eating my 1200 calories and then when I punch in my excercise calories, it says to eat those calories as well. SO I DO!

I have lost a lot of weight but would like to lose about 7 more pounds. My weight is going up rather than down with the plan of eating 1200 calories and eating my excercise calories.

Am I doing this correctly?

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Eating them works for some but not all. Try not eating those calories and see what happens. Those last 10 lbs are the hardest to lose.
  • anorton45
    Options
    Without more information it's hard to answer the question accurately. Prior to eating the correct number of calories were you extremely low in your intake?

If you weren't eating enough to start with and then you adjusted to correct, it will take your body time to adjust to the extra food. But, it will adjust, and the numbers will start coming down. Just don't give up.

What is your goal loss per week? The healthy goal is about 1 pound a week.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If you are getting that close to goal you may want to reduce the amount of your exercise calories that you are eating back. What you are doing is normal for most people but you have to tweak things a bit once you get close to goal. Your body may be used to the extra calories and just need a kick in the rear (calorie reduction) to get moving in the right direction again! Good luck!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Hows the Sodium intake & you drinkin' 8+ water per day?
  • MRudman
    MRudman Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Each person's body is different, but I don't eat my exercise calories. They say that you are supposed to, but it just seems counter-productive to me. I am a fan of Biggest Loser, and on there they (even the really large people) eat +/- 1200 calories a day and burn at least 3500 or more and they seem to be okay. If they can do it why can't we???? Good Luck!
  • laurabeth02
    Options
    My weightloss stalled when I ate my exercise calories, once I stopped eating them, I saw results again (losing around a pound a week). I think we tend to underestimate how much we're eating and overestimate how many calories we burn.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories back, but NOT every single day. On days that I do long runs and burn around 1100 calories I only eat half of them back. Just mix it up and see if that works for you. 2-3 days a week I try to eat all of them back; 2 days I don't eat any of them back; the rest I eat half back. As long as I mix it up my body seems to like it. Also, check your sodium intake. Drink lots of water and you might want to try to increase the protein and decrease the carbs. The last 10 is definitely the hardest so you have to keep track of a bit more!
  • MRudman
    Options
    My weightloss stalled when I ate my exercise calories, once I stopped eating them, I saw results again (losing around a pound a week). I think we tend to underestimate how much we're eating and overestimate how many calories we burn.

I agree with you completely!
  • noneh1
    noneh1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe I/m wrong but I don't think it tells you to "eat those calories " earned from exercise. I am by no means an expert but I
    thought calories in is calories in.. Basically if you eat 1200 calories & eat earned calories of 400, then you ate 1600 calories a
    day & eating the 400 calories wipes out the calories you burned from exercising.......So if you are going to eat the calories you
    burned from exercising what is the point of exercising ??? Would it not just make you break even for the day so the weight
    would stay the same ? I do know what you mean though- the food/ exercise log gives you credit for those calories burned
    during exercise but I never use them since it makes my weight loss stop. to loss weight have to create a calorie deficticny
    in the body . consumng the same amount we use just keeps the weight at the same level...... Aloha .
  • katiemcb09
    katiemcb09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I have definitely been having this problem. I should be eating around 1800 calories a day, but when I work out that adds roughly 400. So I've been averaging 2100 ish a day. I shouldn't be eating those though, right? Wish it didn't tack them on like it does, makes me feel like I can go right ahead. :(
  • kpovich
    Options
    I have been there too!!!! Actually currently there. I posed these same questions and one thing I was told is to go back into your settings and update your weight. This will adjust your goals. I didn't know this before. See if this happens with you and then adjust your intake accordingly.
  • tekbro
    Options
    Why don't weight lifting calories count? I get a lot of credit for walking the dog but nothing for an intense gym workout. Please explain if you know. Thanks.
  • GettingFit45
    GettingFit45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! I'm eating more now than I ever did in my life (I'm 45) and I am frustrated that my weight went up after 3 weeks of daily exercise and calorie watch. No change in the inches and an up on the scale.

When I first started logging here it was telling me I was not eating enough so I thought OK I'll do more eating. Now the scale has gone up. I keep within all the recommended items (fat, chol, carbs etc).

I will stick it out longer and see if things get better. I'm doing Turbofire and 30 Day shred. (Started with Turbo but thought it was a little too challenging! Thought 30 day shred LOOKED easier so switched...ha ha! Easy NOT!

I've never been over weight but I'm sooooo out of shape I get tired at work after only a 4 hour shift. I sell eye glasses for a living so it's not exactly tiring...on the feet alot but still I shouldn't be that tired.

I do believe I have more energy now though. So that's one bright side. I'm really just trying to get into shape and maybe be able to wear that nice tankini I have without the muffin tops popping out!
  • mjheinrich
    mjheinrich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There is a weight lifting category under 'cardio' which awards some calories. That's what I use when I weight lift. Its not tons of calories like cardio but its something and much more accurate than zero calories.
  • MRudman
    Options
    Why don't weight lifting calories count? I get a lot of credit for walking the dog but nothing for an intense gym workout. Please explain if you know. Thanks.

Record it under cardio instead of strength training. I think that one is there to help you keep track of what strength training you did instead of calories burned from it. Look at my exercise diary and you will see how I record mine.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eating them works for some but not all. Try not eating those calories and see what happens. Those last 10 lbs are the hardest to lose.

I COMPLETELY 100% DISAGREE, if you only have 10 lbs to lose you should set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week and eat most of your exercise calories. The less you have to lose the closer you should eat to your maintenance calories.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Hmm, I have definitely been having this problem. I should be eating around 1800 calories a day, but when I work out that adds roughly 400. So I've been averaging 2100 ish a day. I shouldn't be eating those though, right? Wish it didn't tack them on like it does, makes me feel like I can go right ahead. :(

What did you choose as your weekly loss goal? 1800 seems quite high unless you are set at maintenance. In order to meet your MFP goal you must eat you calories, including exercise calories as MFP bases your goal on a set caloric deficit, if you workout you increase that deficit so MFP adds back the cals so your deficit is at your goal.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Each person's body is different, but I don't eat my exercise calories. They say that you are supposed to, but it just seems counter-productive to me. I am a fan of Biggest Loser, and on there they (even the really large people) eat +/- 1200 calories a day and burn at least 3500 or more and they seem to be okay. If they can do it why can't we???? Good Luck!

They also weigh 300 lbs plus, and have trainers, doctors and nutritionists watching their every move.
  • katiemcb09
    katiemcb09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh I see, that explains it... so I probably want to actually lower it to probably 1500. I probably need to lose roughly 5 pounds, and I like food lol so I don't want to go to low, but 2100 is a lot for me I think
  • amndaob
    Options
    I don't want my body to start storing the calories as fat. I thought that you have to consume at least 1200 net calories a day as the bottom line. Anything less than can mess badly with your metablolism. Don't know if I am write or not.