Is there something like”too much protein”?

Options
Hi!
I have never heard a bad word about proteins, but as I just became a member of MFP (hi, BTW :smile: ) I discovered that I eat way too much protein. I usually do like 2-3 light strength training lessons a week, so I don’t actually need that many proteins either.. Can proteins be harmful? Should I cut back?

Thanks,

Ida

Replies

• ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have that same question!
  • p_nutprincess
    p_nutprincess Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating too much - you should shoot for 1g- 1 1/2g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Altough, you can have too much protein at one sitting - your body can only absorb about 30g at a time.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    In my opinion I don't think you can ever get too much protein especially if you are very active.

There are studies out there that show that certain proteins can affect your organs....but I think that's in extreme cases.

Your body needs protein if you are doing strength training.
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    For most people, 20 grams a sitting should be max (college nutrition teacher is my source)
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I eat about 110-150 grams of protein a day. If I eat less than 100 grams, I start munching on food like you wouldn't believe. From what I've read, any access protein gets urinated out.

Also, MFP undervalues the amount of protein you should eat a day. Re set your goals to 30% protein, 25-30% fat, and also fiber should be 25+ grams a day.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    MFP's figures are low. Use jgeorge612's calculation to determine what is a good amount.

Too much protein can stress your kidneys, but I'm pretty sure you're not eating anywhere close to that to do any damage.

Since your food diary is closed, how much protein are you intaking on the average day?
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating too much - you should shoot for 1g- 1 1/2g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Altough, you can have too much protein at one sitting - your body can only absorb about 30g at a time.

You should actually get 0.8-1.2 g/kg of body weight.

Yes you can get too much protein, just like anything else your body only needs so much of it and any excess will just be stored as fat. If you aren't doing a lot of extra strength training you don't need extra.
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    how many grams a day are you getting now? and how much do you weigh?
  • ActaNonVerba
    Options
    No offense....Extra protein cannot be "stored as fat"..It's physically impossible.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    how are you justifying that you have "too" much protein? by what MFP gives you as reccomendations?

Protein if you're working out should be anywhere from 1g / pound of body weight - 1.5g's / pound of body weight.

So if you're 150lbs and working out 3 times a weekd i'd say 1.2g's is a good # 180g's of protein in your diet a day. (not hard to get in either). Which would equal out to about 720 of your calories for the day. On a 1300 calorie diet it's about 50% of your calories. So I'd stay stick with 1500 calories. :)

HOpe that helped,
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    MFPs suggestions are a minimum. Also, you can change your breakdown to allow for a higher % of protein / lower % carbs etc in the settings part if you want to go for a higher % protein diet. Personally I don't worry about changing the % breakdown and just shoot for making this my minimum.

Health-wise - unless you have kidney conditions, it is highly unlikely that on any sort of regular, or even high protein diet, you can consume enough to really cause problems. Some say high protein can raise chance of kidney stones, but we're talking a lot more than what you're taking in - probably several times the recommended default MFP #.

And yes, protein is like any other food - it is broken down and what is not used or excreted - the amino acids ARE converted to fat.
  • kmeekhof
    Options
    No offense....Extra protein cannot be "stored as fat"..It's physically impossible.

Oh so I guess all of my college professors and books were wrong.

The food enters your mouth:
    Saliva contains enzymes that break any starch in the food down to sugar.
    This, along with any fat and water in the food, travel to the stomach, which churns them up.
    Pepsin (an enzyme that digests protein) and hydrochloric acid further break down the food, turning it into a substance called chyme.
    The mixture enters the duodenum, (the place where the gall bladder secretes its bile).
    This bile dissolves the fat in water, thinning it out and making it easier to absorb.
    Enzymes from the pancreas enter the duodenum and further break down the sugar, fat and protein.
    Now everything is dissolved and is in fluid form, so it is absorbed through the lining of the small bowel. Fat, sugar and protein wave good-bye to each other and go their separate ways.

What happens to the sugar:
    It also goes directly into the blood stream, and several different organs take the sugar they need as it passes by.
    Some is stored in the liver as glycogen.
    Whatever is left is converted to fat and stored in fat cells with the excess fat above.

What happens to the fat:
    First, it goes into the blood stream and travels to the liver.
    The liver burns some of the fat, converts some to other substances (one is cholesterol) and sends the rest to fat cells, where they wait until they are needed.

What happens to the protein:
    It is broken down into building blocks known as peptides.
    Then, it is further broken down and it becomes amino acids.
    The amino acids are absorbed through the small intestine's lining and enter the blood stream.
    From here, some of the amino acids build the body's protein stores.
    Excess amino acids are converted to fats and sugars and follow the paths described above.
    This is such a simple concept, but many people still believe that consuming lots and lots of protein will put muscle on their bones. Don't be fooled by this notion! Even excess protein turns to fat.
  • ActaNonVerba
    Options
    kmeehof.

That whole spiel is a"cut and paste" job (from my wifes favorite "women's health sites....she recognized the article immediately..)

This is one of the reasons I quit talking to people over the internet. You seem to be ok with googling the subject you want to look smart about, then putting it out as your own.
  • ActaNonVerba
    Options
    I'm out of it.
  • kmeekhof
    Options
    kmeehof.

That whole spiel is a"cut and paste" job (from my wifes favorite "women's health sites....she recognized the article immediately..)

This is one of the reasons I quit talking to people over the internet. You seem to be ok with googling the subject you want to look smart about, then putting it out as your own.

I never said it was my own. It wasn't from a womens health site, but I did take it from the internet. Let me clarify: article was written by Maia Appleby. Maia Appleby is a certified personal trainer and weight loss consultant at a fitness center in south Florida.

Furthermore, I wasn't just trying to "sound smart" I have a degree in health fitness and nutrition. I was making a point that it is indeed physically possible for protein to be stored as fat, contrary to what you stated. The article explained it well.

None the less... Good luck to you in your journey.
  • tristinsue
    Options
    You only need extra protein if you are working out regularly. :smile:
  • BeatTheBattle
    Options
    If you aren't doing a lot of extra strength training you don't need extra.

Just remember, if you are doing intense or large volumes of cardio then upping protein to match this will help limit muscle loss and improve recovery time.

Protein does help keep you, as the M&S range says, 'fuller for long', so its good to keep your meals carb / protein balanced.

One thing you can experience if you take in 'too much protein' is problems with your kidneys.

Keep it sensible and you shouldn't have too many issues.
  • kaityray
    kaityray Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you are in a calorie deficit there is no way that your extra protein will be stored as fat, as long as you are still under your calorie goal. If you're diet allows you 1500 cal per day and you go over by 100 in protein, thats when you should have concern. But if you're going over in protein it is more than likely that you are even further under your calorie goal seeing as protein takes the body the longest to digest and so you feel fuller longer. If you are going to go OVER in anything, protein is it!
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I eat about 110-150 grams of protein a day. If I eat less than 100 grams, I start munching on food like you wouldn't believe. From what I've read, any access protein gets urinated out.

Also, MFP undervalues the amount of protein you should eat a day. Re set your goals to 30% protein, 25-30% fat, and also fiber should be 25+ grams a day.

Hi Sabrina,

How do you re-set goals on here? I have been looking and cannot find where to change my goals.
    your help is greatly appreciated :)
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    [/quote]

Hi Sabrina,

How do you re-set goals on here? I have been looking and cannot find where to change my goals.
    your help is greatly appreciated :)
    [/quote]
    To reset your goals go to the goals tab at the top of the page and click the ones that lets you do it...Not the guided one.