Is your body shape (i.e. pear, hourglass, apple) dependent o

Options
I guess my question is if your body shape depens on your weight and how you choose to work out or are you inherently one shape? I've been apple all my life but I hate my belly. Is it possible for someone like me to become an hourglass figure?

Replies

• ciberg13
    Options
    I agree. I've been an apple my while entire life. Even when I was "skinny", I still had no waist. My dad used to say I was built "thick". Nice, huh?
  • Lsng4good
    Lsng4good Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Like you, I'm apple and want hourglass. (who doesn't?!) :) I'm no pro, but I know that you can change your figure by just working out extra hard on your "trouble spots". Like maybe we should be doing my ab exercises in addition to cardio. But remember that when you lose weight it comes from basically everywhere. You can't Only lose weight from one body part.

Best of luck in this adventure!
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    Options
    I'm an hourglass I think,but my hips seem smaller the more athletic I become,if that sounds wierd,maybe I just view my body wierdly,but I'm not too bothered if it changes,as long as I get slim lean and toned lol!
  • fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've always been a pear, and think I am destined to remain a pear. Even at my lowest weight, fittest body, my hips were big and I'm talking bones, not padding on top of bones.
  • SarahR1984
    Options
    I think you are what you are. I'm an apple too and when I was my thinnist My stomach was slim from the side but still wide from the front. You'll always have that boy shape if your an apple. I would give anything to be an hourglass, but I'd also have to grow some hips!
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    It is based on bone structure so I don't think there is any changing it...
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm determined to go from a rectangle to an hourglass. So far it's working (just need to lose a couple of inches on my waist). To go from apple to an hourglass might be hard though because you can't determine where you lose fat from, but might as well give it all you have to try! Worse case is you become a super hot apple! :flowerforyou:
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Ohh, I've always wondered that (Bumping!)

I'm an apple now. I think when I was thin I was kind of a rectangle...or maybe more like a bottle of water (mostly tubular with bumps at the top and bottom?) I never quite fit into the pear, hourglass, inverted triangle guidelines.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    thats where fashion comes in! im in the same boat as an apple shape. its all about optical illusions created with accessories and dressing for your body.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    All dudes want that Y or V shape I suppose, but my ribcage and pelvic bone stick out pretty far, so I'm just cursed with more of an X shape.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The best way to 'change' your body to an hourglass shape is through heavy lifting and clean eating...

Work on widening your back and shoulders, increase the size of your quads and utilize cardio to burn fat which is going to bring your waist in.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Strength train in those areas where you are lacking to give a little added bulk. You don't need to gain fat in there, just bulk the muscle.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I'm determined to go from a rectangle to an hourglass. So far it's working (just need to lose a couple of inches on my waist). To go from apple to an hourglass might be hard though because you can't determine where you lose fat from, but might as well give it all you have to try! Worse case is you become a super hot apple! :flowerforyou:

OMG me too!!
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that there is a fourth category called banana, and I am it. For we girls who aren't quite curvy enough to call ourselves an hourglass. http://www.mybodygallery.com/body-types.html

I think a lot of it is bone structure. I am large boned, and my rib cage and hips are pretty much just always going to be right where they are. If I could shave a few more inches off my waist, I *might* be able to call myself an hourglass instead of a banana, but I think that would be a stretch-- I doubt I'd be able to lose much more than one or two more inches while staying healthy.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    All dudes want that Y or V shape I suppose, but my ribcage and pelvic bone stick out pretty far, so I'm just cursed with more of an X shape.

I don't know about the general population, but I think male and female bodybuilders go for the 'X' shape... hence, Tony "The X-Man" Freeman.
  • debbn2011
    Options
    I like you GW's!
    Good Lucky!!!:smile:
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm top heavy with no waist, i gain weight on my boobs first and if i lose weight it comes off my legs and my hips first. When i drop below 135lbs my boobs finally disappear but i never get a waist line.

I'd love to be toned all over with some curves in the right places.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    You're pretty much stuck what with you've got. Granted, as you lose weight it might be less prominent, but you get what you get. For me, when I'm higher in weight I'm a pear (all goes to my butt, thighs, and chubs up my tummy) and then when I'm thinner I'm an hourglass (stomach thins out, butt things, thighs/hips don't budge). For me, my hips aren't going anywhere. Just focus on toning yourself and as you lose fat you won't notice the typical "apple shape" quite as much.
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    For the most part, the common info says that you will maintain your general shape/proportions, just with different dimensions. I have hourglass proportions, but the distribution definitely changed a little at different weights. At my heaviest, about 175lbs, my measurements were somewhere around 38.5/32/40 and I had a little more pear-shape. At my middle ground of 115-120, I'm around 35/25/35 and undeniably hourglass. At my lowest, which is really too skinny for me, I was 105-107 and my measurements were something like 34/24/33 and I was starting to lean toward inverted triangle. My body shape is hourglass, but as I exceed or undershoot my ideal weights, I *do* carry the weight in different places. I hope that makes sense and helps a little bit.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I used to be an hourglass, but 2 kids later, I am all apple! Hoping that by dropping 30-50 lbs, I will get my hourglass shape back. On the other hand... my boobs like to drop weight first, so I may end up as a pear!