Help - Good results but low impact effort exercise needed!

Options
No I am not as lazy as the topic subject suggests. I am looking for an exercise that gives good results but is low impact the reason behind this is i have a heart condition and am struggling with the intensity of the gym. I also had a bit of a humilating experience there so do not want to go back there. I borrowed the biggest loser challenge wii game but found that too difficult tomorrow.I have a wii and whilst i am really enjoying the wii fit games i am getting really bored with it as i have unlocked everything and am just finding it a bit repetitive.

Please help any ideas welcome!

Replies

• cehrenhaus
    Options
    Swimming is low impact and wonderful for you, also yoga and tai-chi-chuan. However, if you have a heart condition you should talk to your doctor before starting anything an (s)he will be able to give you better advice.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Walking! Seriously, it's something you can do at your own pace and can increase intensity if you become able to. It's a GREAT exercise to improve cardiorespiratory health. No equipment needed. You can do it anywhere! You can map out your route on google maps to get an idea of how far, or drive the route in your car. It's fun to challenge yourself to try and walk the same route just a little faster than before. You burn approx. the same calories whether you run or walk a mile - the difference is just in how fast you get it done.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor. I was going to say yoga or maybe just going on slow long walks.
  • mangos4music
    mangos4music Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    if you could get hold of an indoor pool at a gym or something swimming would be a great workout
  • urbanruralmomma
    Options
    I'd vote for yoga. A good teacher will be able to tell you what moves you can do, and suggest alternatives. We always have people in class that have bad backs, tight necks, etc., and accomodations are happily made.
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    Get any of the lesile sansone walking DVDs. If you have netflix check them out before you buy. I love most of them. I like her. Slim and sleek with pilates. They are low impact no running jumping or crazy stuff like that. Just walking and some strength training and a some good aerobic moves. I love her.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    And regarding walking, if you live in a place where the weather is less than favorable at the moment, I suggest the Leslie Sansone walking DVD's. If she gets annoying, you can mute the DVD and put on your favorite music!
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Walking! And as the lady above me suggested, swimming and yoga are winners too! I have a problem with concrete, we don't get along, so sand or grass is great to walk on, and walking is great because it naturally slims the waist, while relieving back pain, increasing blood flow and all that good jazz.
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    And regarding walking, if you live in a place where the weather is less than favorable at the moment, I suggest the Leslie Sansone walking DVD's. If she gets annoying, you can mute the DVD and put on your favorite music!
    You read my mind
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor first, but I REALLY like elliptical. It's not really tough to do and you can burn a TON of calories with it.
  • daffysbird
    Options
    thanks guys my doctor sent me to the gym and I am just not comfortable there at the moment. I really struggle with hills so that can be a bit difficult round here and have never heard of leslie sansome i think i may just have to go and check that out thanks guys. I am a bit nervous about the swimming thing as well because of my experience at the gym and am just going through a period of not being confident in my clothing at the moment and I think letting other people see me in my swimming costume is just not a step I am ready for.

But thankyou:-)
  • CyberDr
    Options
    As mentioned above, swimming is an excellent low impact exercise. Unfortunately not everyone has access to a pool. Another option not mentioned is rowing. If you have access to a gym that has a rowing machine that would be my suggestion. Rowing is a fantastic low impact exercise, the machines have a 500 pound limit and are suitable for all body types. You could purchase your own if you have the space and the money. They're not compact or cheap, but if cared for will last a lifetime. The Concept 2 machine is the best out there as far as I'm concerned. Here is a link regarding discussing the Concept 2 and weight loss.

http://www.concept2.com/us/communities/weightcontrol/obesity.asp

Good luck
  • lesleyk26
    lesleyk26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hey hunnie i dont know what has happened at the gym but i hope your ok !!!

but remember everyone is there for the same reson to lose weight or to tone up everyone is the same babes and no one should be treated different
    loves you hunnie
    keep up the good work your doing fantastic :) x
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Go get the wii Fit PLUS dvd if you don't have it. It has a lot of new games and workouts. I really liked the bicycle one, it's a good workout if you build up your speed. There are a lot of different ones to keep you going.

A mini trampoline aka projogger is a great low impact way to bounce and jog, I love mine, it takes all the pressure off your joints and helps to flush your lymph system.

Zumba or some dance dvd's are fun and you can go at your own pace.

Ven
  • cehrenhaus
    Options
    I am sorry about the bad experience in the gym! I understand you not wanting to go swimming to a pool then.
    For yoga I like the videos by Ann Richmond, they can be a tad cheesy, but she is very clear about the exercises, she explains how to modify them if you cannot do them at this moment and she explains what you are benefiting with each one. I was not into yoga and then I was hooked with her! The best part is that it really strengthens your body while keeping it gentle. The fist week hurts, but then it is really mild.

Walking is awesome too. I add my vote to that one :)