New here and would love new friends!

Options
Hi everyone!! My name is Allison and I'm overweight.... lol. I downloaded the app at the advice of a friend and enjoy the features of the website as well. It's only my first full day of using both but so far I love it. I am a single mom of 2 little girls that keep me busy and out of the gym. I have them full time and no readily available babysitters. So I try to exercise at home... wii games mostly. For some reason I find every excuse to not use my elliptical. I am working on getting my food under control. My portion sizes are out of wack and I live on junk food... bad combination. I also need to work on keeping myself motivated and controlling my will power. So if anyone wants to help and continue this journey with me... friend me. The more the merrier!!

Replies

• absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi Beachbean77. Welcome. I'm new too. Just started yesterday. I have a little girl who's 4. So I know what you mean about squeezing in time. Have you looked into a family style fitness center? They have daycare. My little girl loves going to they gym. Sometimes I go simply because she wants to go. Win-win! You might want to try Wii Active, or something like that. My sister gave me one that really reflected the types of exercise I do in group classes at the gym. I'll have to find out the actual name of it. I don't use it as I prefer to go to the gym where I can have "me" time...but it might work for you.
  • Ridestolive6969
    Options
    Hi there!

If you can get over your aversion to the eliptical that would really help- you can burn a lot of calories in less time and I know thats important when you have so many responsibilities!
    Also, plan out what you are going to eat throughout the day, and really look at how much is in each portion. Eat often!

Good luck!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I'm pretty new to the site too. There's lots of great tools and a great community as well.
  • walkforever
    Options
    what I would give for my own elliptical!

is yours facing the tv or something? If you cant get distracted while youre on it, the minutes will drag and drag.. but if you can get into a tv show or some music it makes the time FLY!

i am getting excited to get on an elliptical today actually, so thank you!
  • walkforever
    Options
    what I would give for my own elliptical!

is yours facing the tv or something? If you cant get distracted while youre on it, the minutes will drag and drag.. but if you can get into a tv show or some music it makes the time FLY!

i am getting excited to get on an elliptical today actually, so thank you!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Welcome :flowerforyou:
    You can add me as friend for motivation if you like.
  • mona30
    Options
    hi im new here to i live in london on and i love new friends to
  • angieangel74
    Options
    I've been using MFP for a couple of months and love it! I also have 2 small children at home and my husband works long crazy hours. I'm on day 4 of Jillian Michael's 30-day shred. Try it...30 min's from start to finish. My 5 year old tries to do it with me. It's a great way to get in a fantastic work-out when you have kids around! Good Luck!
  • 515amrunner
    515amrunner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should just not bother with the elliptical? If there is an exercise you don't enjoy they you aren't going to want to do it. Maybe find more home workouts that you enjoy be i wii games.videos or something else. I find that the best exercise is the one you enjoy and can stick to. I really like the 30 day shred video. Quick workout and they are tough.

I too have a child (19month old). Not a single parent but I do still understand the exhaustion and difficulty in finding time to exercise.
  • awilliams0209
    awilliams0209 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been on here for about 5 weeks and absolutely love it. If anyone needs another friend on here for support, just send me a request.
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hello Allison and welcome to the site, this place is amazing, and you will do great. Tons of support, and you can feel free to add me if you would like.
  • Smokenmirrors
    Smokenmirrors Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Embrace the elliptical trainer. Burn those cals. Go online for great healthy cooking alternatives. We're all here to help you. Add me if you like.

Try 30 day shred. Jillian Michaels is the devil...
  • nashkim
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I am new here too. I prefer the elliptical to my treadmill! What helps me immensely is listening to music on my iPod while I use the elliptical. There are some great songs that really motivate me to work harder and the time goes by faster!

Good luck with your journey - you can do it!
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    This is my first week here too. I love my elliptical, well I do most days. The message boards have so much info, its great.
  • shawn526
    shawn526 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've been hanging around MFP for a while, but am just now getting serious :) Good luck!!
  • mrsannett
    mrsannett Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I know how you feel I have a bike beside my bed I rarely get on....so sad! But I plan to change that..good luck on your new journey and we are all here for support!