Did I waste two weeks?? Learning who to trust.

Options
Ok...I got some good news and bad news today! I will start with the bad news; so I finish this on a good note.

I started dieting the first of the year. I consulted with my doctor before I began this journey. However, I DID NOT sit down with her and go over specifics about calories and other nutritional information. BIG MISTAKE! We were going to leave that up to my trainer. My starting weight was 249. I started eating healthy on my own by cutting out rice, pasta, bread, soda, refined sugar, and eating as close to whole foods as my budget would allow. I was down to 238 on February 6th. I started on a weight loss challenge at my church on the 7th. The church provided anyone who was doing the challenge with a trainer 3 days a week for 90 minutes a day. However, the past 3 times we were supposed to meet she cancelled. She normally charges $25/ hr., but volunteered her services to challenge members free of charge. Her excuse for canceling on us was her job and that "it was free". I started using MFP and exercise the 7th also. I sat down with my trainer and she told me to start using MFP, but to "customize" my goal's numbers to what she told me to use. She had me set my calories to 1200 a day, carbs to 120 (I'm diabetic), protein to 105, and the remaining % of calories to fats. I did what she suggested. I also started walking 2 miles a day and doing another 45 minutes of strength training using 5 pound weights. I was completely sedentary before this. I have been on disability for 7 years and thought I wasn't capable of exercising. I asked about the "exercise calories" and she told me NOT to eat them...to stay at 1200 no matter how much I exercised. Although I followed her guidance, she told me my exercise wasn't enough to even count as exercise. After exercise, I was only consuming a net calorie figure of around 700 calories a day. I was told this is what I needed to eat to lose because I was so heavy.

With that all being said (I tried to keep it as short as I could without leaving out the facts), I have been having horrible muscle cramps that I attributed to getting adjusted to working out. I have been very tired and have had cold chills. I woke up this morning and almost passed out every time I stood up. I called my doctor and made an appointment. I printed out my food and exercise diary for the last 7 days. I also printed out the goals my "trainer" had me set. My doctor examined me and my blood pressure was down to normal, no temp, and NO WEIGHT LOSS since I started following my trainer's recommendations. As a matter of fact I weighed 4 pounds heavier than the Wii Fit had me at 3 days ago. My doctor told me I was starving! She told me I was eating all the right things, just not near enough. I told my trainer about the warning that kept showing up at the bottom of my food diary every night stating that I was eating too few calories. She told me to ignore it. That if I ate those calories I would never lose weight. My potassium was also dangerously low today from exercising/ using my muscles and not eating enough. I feel so stupid putting all my trust in my trainer. I trusted her. I did what I was supposed to by consulting with my doctor first. We both trusted the trainer to be competent. DID I WASTE 2 WEEKS?? I spent 2 weeks IN STARVATION MODE and lost 1 pound. I sat down with my doctor today and went over my numbers and she had me increase my calories to 1500 a day plus my exercise calories. She also increased my carbs and sodium. My advice to everyone on here: CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE LISTENING TO ANYONE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH!! I am diabetic and have a host of other health problems. There is no telling what would have happened to me if I would have continued without seeing my doctor. Thank God I listened to my body today!

THE GOOD NEWS: I have lost enough weight since January that my blood sugar has returned to normal without insulin!! I have been taking 4 shots a day. I was able to come completely off one of my insulins. The other one was changed from 30 units with each meal, to a"sliding scale" (which starts at 2 units if my blood sugar is over 150). That is a huge decrease in insulin (which makes losing weight harder)! I am so excited! I am happy despite this whole mess and I feel that some good has come about. I have learned that change comes from within. When it comes right down to in the only person we can genuinely trust is ourselves. I chose to listen to my body today and I just may have saved my own life.

Replies

• NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!!!
  • exercisechic927
    exercisechic927 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No you did not waste two weeks! Good thing you had it checked that soon and not think that that was how it was suppose to be! Now you know what to do! You have made such great progress since you started in your health congratulations! That is the most important is seeing changes in your health vs. a number on the scale right? :)
  • JRIV60
    JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that your (old) trainer was a quack. :frown: It seems like you and your doctor have a great plan going. Good luck and congrats on the weight loss.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Good for you, for listening to your body and going to see your doctor. Thats what this journey should be about, health. Yes its great to lose weight, but I look at that like its the bonus now not the goal. The goal is to get healthy and feel better!

I wish you continued success on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • LaurenRose2011
    Options
    This is a wonderful post for this site because there are A LOT of people here who love to give bad advice that "trainers" give them. I am very happy you got to your doctor and got this turned around before more serious medical complications could develop. :) I have met a lot of "trainers" and some are decent, but most are ignorant of science yet still claim to know it all.

PEOPLE!! LISTEN TO THIS WOMAN!!! YOUR TRAINER IS NOT A DOCTOR. YOUR TRAINER HAS NOT GONE THROUGH 4 YEARS OF UNDERGRAD AND 4 YEARS OF MED SCHOOL. YOUR TRAINER IS NOT A DOCTOR AND YOU SHOULD NOT LISTEN TO THEM AS YOU SHOULD YOUR DOCTOR.
  • nashkim
    Options
    congrats on the good news - that is fantastic. Sorry about the trainer fiasco, and very glad the result wasn't worse.

Great job following your intution and taking care of yourself. I wish you all the best going forward - I predict good things and good health for you.
  • Kris1974
    Options
    WOW!
    I am so sorry you had to go through all that and a "trainer" that has no medical training. I think you should make your community aware of the "trainers" name and make sure everyone knows he/she is a fraud.
    Good job on the healthy weight loss.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. It is very important to be careful whose advise we listen to. I hope you told your church about her lack of knowledge and unprofessionalism. I hope that your advice helps people. I get so mad when someone tries to use MFP to train people. I think it is a great tool please do not get me wrong but they as a trainer need to do their homework and know how the site works and how calories need to be replaced. Really they should know that anyway because a good trainer would have some sort of background in nutrition- this is just my opinion. I am so glad you wen to your doctor soon enough and that you are doing so well health wise. Remember we are all here for you!!!! Good Luck- Sending hugs to you.
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think your post was very insightful. You are doing wonderful listening to your body. You have already done so much towards improving your health. Good for you! I am sorry you trusted such a stupid trainer. I am so glad though that you have a doctor that is able to help and guide you. Now that you are no longer starving yourself, I am sure you will continue to see great results.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Let this be a lesson to all who believe their "Trainer" has any clue about what to do. Most "trainers" have no certificate, are instructed by the gym about exercise (but not in a necessarily factual way) and have NO CLUE what they are doing.

Please be careful, everyone, about listening to a "trainer" about nutrition. Ask to SEE their certification certificate and ask what formal nutrition education they have. I hope the church now knows about this trainer.

Also, most doctors take one class on nutrition (or is it one semester - I don't know for sure). I hope a doctor who deals with Diabetes would have a lot more education about nutrition - they would really need to .

We would be better served to consult a Licenced Dietician.

Here:

Registered Dietician Education

By Abby Hall, eHow Contributor .

Teaching people about proper nutrition and helping them make a plan for a healthier life is the role of a registered dietician. While many people know basic information about food and nutrition, it takes formal education to become a registered dietician. If you're interested in becoming a registered dietician, before you sign up for any college or university with a nutrition program, it's important that you know about registered dietician education.
    Emphasis
    Registered dieticians aren't required to have an emphasis, but some do as they work with athletes, children or other specific groups within the population. If you plan to have a specialty as a registered dietician it's important that you find a school that caters to that specialty. Not only will you get information that pertains to your area of emphasis, but you can also do internships and a supervised practicum that cater to your interests.
    Types
    A bachelor's or a master's degree is required to obtain certification as a registered dietician. While associate's degrees are available in dietetics, they don't provide the education or training needed for certification. Graduates of those programs become dietetic technicians, which assist registered dieticians with creating meal plans and educating clients.
    Accreditation
    The dietetics program you attend needs to be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education regardless of the type of degree you seek. You can determine what programs at local colleges and universities in your state are accredited by visiting their websites. Failing to attend an accredited institution can result in you not being able to get certification as a registered dietician.

Read more: Registered Dietician Education | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5501863_registered-dietician-education.html#ixzz1Eq92Wjgw
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wow. Sorry for your trouble.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    WOW!
    I am so sorry you had to go through all that and a "trainer" that has no medical training. I think you should make your community aware of the "trainers" name and make sure everyone knows he/she is a fraud.
    Good job on the healthy weight loss.

Along with this, you probably need to get together with others who are in your challenge group and make sure they are not still following the bad advice from the "trainer!" I have seen you on a few other posts, and you seem to have your head together. It's great to know others like you on MFP! Congratulations on your weight loss and keep up the great work!
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting off the insulin. That is a HUGE success! Woohoo!
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    WOW I'm so glad you decided to share this with us!! I was in a similar situation over the summer where I was eating only about 800 cals a day because of exercise! I'm glad you went to your doctor, so important!! Keep up your good work!!!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i'm so sorry to hear all that! does anyone else at your church have problems with the trainer?
  • carollane
    carollane Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Glad you are ok!!! I am a nurse, so I fully understand how dangerous this was!! Did your trainer know that you were a diabetic and took insulin? Goodness!! I am so glad that you listened to your body!! The last two weeks have not been a waste, You have been doing everything right but just need to increase your calories!! I bet that if you eat the caloires and carbs set by your doctor and continue to exercise you will have a good number on the scale in just a few days!! Keep up the good work. Just think of the last two weeks as practice, now you are ready to take on the journey head on!!:flowerforyou:
  • carollane
    carollane Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Glad you are ok!!! I am a nurse, so I fully understand how dangerous this was!! Did your trainer know that you were a diabetic and took insulin? Goodness!! I am so glad that you listened to your body!! The last two weeks have not been a waste, You have been doing everything right but just need to increase your calories!! I bet that if you eat the caloires and carbs set by your doctor and continue to exercise you will have a good number on the scale in just a few days!! Keep up the good work. Just think of the last two weeks as practice, now you are ready to take on the journey head on!!:flowerforyou:
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are okay. Good thing you listened to your body.

Continue to do what your doctor says and you will do great on MFP.
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wow. Sorry for your trouble. It sounds like you are getting all kinds of bad information. Dosnt sound like theyr are telling you the correct thing.

My trainer says eat eat eat! Drink lots of water and eat. every three or four hours. eat at least 70, 80, 90 grams protein each meal. He has me eating 1400 to 1600 per day.
    I cut up veggies in a gigantic bowl and cook chicken and boiled eggs. When I'm ready to eat I grab a huge bowl of veggies throw in some protein and some if my home made salad dressing and Chow. This kind of eating is making me feel more in control. I get really full on these salads.

Some days i saute some red peppers onions garlic cabbage and then throw egg beaters over it and eat.

I make my Yummy dressing with Greek yogurt, a little Olive oil, fresh garlic crushed, cucumber and salt
    other options: Creol mustard, chopped or ground red peppers, other seasonings.

Ive learned to stay away form the processed foods, bread and sugar. It makes me eat more. I'm not eating much fruit just because i have lots of fat to loose. He says fruit is a good quick energy but eat it in the morning. I added barly to my cabbage hamburger soup and eat sweet potato with butter spray.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with the rest of your weight loss. Keep going. I seem to learn something new each week. You have already done great. :smile:
  • TheNewMrsDemo
    TheNewMrsDemo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know it seems like it may have been a set back, but I'm super proud of you for going to see the Dr and taking YOUR life and goals in YOUR hands and not leaving it to a trainer.

Keep your chin up!