Meal ideas?

Karleyyy
Karleyyy Posts: 857
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I am on a budget right now, and I am trying to get more organized with my everyday life, including knowing what I am going to eat every day of the week. What are some good recipes to try out? I don't have a crock pot, and remember that I am on a budget. I live with my Dad and he just got laid off, trying to keep things together.

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Tacos. Bean burritos.
    salads.
    burgers.
    chili is uuuber cheap!
  • Padmagowda
    Padmagowda Posts: 2 Member
    Weight watchers Smart one frozen food
  • harleyquinn1504
    harleyquinn1504 Posts: 45 Member
    kielbasa sausage and rice. Both are pretty cheap and are awesome together.
  • Do you live near a Chipotle? If so, opt for a burrito bowl (no rice or tortilla); inexpensive, healthy & will fill you up!
    If not, consider making it yourself: In a bowl: Lettuce on the bottom, with black beans, diced chicken & salsa - you can even throw on a dollop of guacamole.

Good Luck !
  • Pasta with tomato sauce, quesadillas, tacos, chili, chicken breast with veggies, stir frys with rice...
  • buy in bulk! u should have an apple and an orange or banana every day so u can always stalk up on those, buy whole grain pastas buy chicken in bulk and try out different recipes with them, add tomatoes and other vegetables you like. Always look for coupons and sales! when you go shopping look what healthy foods are on sale first and then plan out your meals for the next few days.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    stock up on fruits and veggies, pastas (whole wheat) and protein (chicken, beef). you can make fruit salads, veggie salads, pasta salads...

wheat tortillas+grilled chicken breast+sauteed veggies= yummy chicken tacos
    veggies+canned dices tomatoes undrained+pasta=yummy pasta dish...add left over grilled chicken to it the next day.
    wheat pasta+spaghetti sauce. You can add ground beef/turkey to the sauce.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Rice and beans
    chili
    stoup (thick soup ... cross between stew and soup) made from chicken broth, rice/pasta, frozen veggies (whatever is on sale), kidney or black beans, little bit of chicken, lots of garlic ... basically just dump whatever you have in the soup pot and let it simmer
    big bag of apples
    you can make your own pasta sauce with canned tomatoes, italian spices, onions, and garlic ... just toss in the pot and let it simmer
  • ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Begin to very familiar with the bulk section of your grocery store. You can purchase several rice, pasta, legume, and bean varieties for much cheaper than the packaged brands. Also, if you have plans for a meal, but aren't sure what to do with the rest, you can purchase just enough for the meal at hand. If you have an Aldi nearby, their produce is remarkably cheaper than the other stores. When the weather gets nicer, frequent the farmer's market. Attempt to stay in season with fruits and vegetables.

I lurk my favorite brands websites for coupons, like morningstar farms, organic valley, etc. so that I can eat those organic brands but at a discount.

So, meal ideas on the cheap?
    (I am a vegetarian now...but these are what I would do when I ate meat)
    I would by stew steak meat when it was cheap.
    I could turn it into Swiss Steak (it actually wasn't that high in calories, because I watched oil, trimmed fat, and added loads of veggies)
    or a lightened stroganoff with the addition of mushrooms to stretch out the meat.

Casseroles are a great way to stretch your dollar, if you stay away from processed soups and white carbs. Ground Turkey can often be found for cheaper than ground beef...

I'd say, get to know your grocer. Check the ads, clip coupons *but only for healthy items, because coupons usually are to be found in the paper for big brands*

Hope that helps, good luck!
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    I buy bags of frozen chicken breasts, like 6 bucks a bag, and cook them up in advance, four or five at a time in the oven, broiled, get a pan, put about a cup, cup and a half of water in the bottom of the pan, works best if you defrost chicken first, then i found a peach pineapple chipotle salsa at Walmart, like 2.50 a jar, put about 2 tbs over each piece of chicken and bake for about 25-30 minutes at 375. makes. So at $8.50 you can get approximately 3-4 meals, and will have plenty of the salsa left over to do again. I am not sure if you live near like a Newflower (a produce store) or something like that, but fresh produce is always good, at our local HEB, bought navel oranges for 15 cents each. Our another one we use is rolls of turkey meat a 85/15 ratio at HEB, $1.49, can make a mean meatloaf out of that.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 531 Member
    Weight watchers Smart one frozen food

I love them, and I just picked up a bunch for $1.80 each :) at Target
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    A nice weight watcher meal!! Or turkey burger on the George Foreman with a wheat bun!!
This discussion has been closed.