vegans?

Options

Replies

• ccutter87
    Options
    So I've been a vegetarian for a year and a half and for the entire time I've been extremely restrictive of intake of dairy products and eggs, but now I'd like to make the official switch to being a vegan. The problem is (and I know y'all have heard this before!) I love cheese. I mean, I really, really, reallyyyyyy love it! Even though I rarely eat it (basically only when I eat out), the thought of never having it kills me. I know there are tons of brands of vegan cheese out there, but I'm hesitant as to which one(s) to buy because I've heard so many bad things about them. Any suggestions/reviews as to what the best brands are? I'm looking for substitutes for any (and every...haha!) type of cheese out there!
  • veggiechick2011
    Options
    I'm here too! Vegan for over 3 years -- "vegetarian" with dairy and eggs for 14 years prior to that.

One reason I started on a vegan diet is because I was due to get married and had 7 months to prepare. Another reason is because I was very much concerned about the combined family medical history my husband and I were bringing into the marriage (and possible future generation) -- on his side, there's been several types of cancers, heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, and on my side, a lot of type two diabetes. I wanted to start a happy, healthy marriage.

I had given up flesh products as a young teenager because I never thought it was right to eat animals, and because of one simple statement I heard someone say, "How can you expect life when you eat death?" For some reason, in my young mind, it totally made sense and I therefore cut out all flesh foods without giving it another thought -- but that also means I did not read any thing or see any videos about the topic and hence had no idea that death and torture were also very much a part of the egg and dairy industry. I wish I had known -- I felt so hoodwinked when I finally learned the truth as an adult, but I digress...

After reading a book called "Skinny *****," I realized, duh, it's the food I'm still eating that keeps me pudgy! Then this very simplified book led me to the research of Dr. McDougall, Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, and Dr. T. Colin Campbell. The evidence for how food has caused all these degenerative diseases I was concerned about was just so clear -- I never looked back again.

Veganism can come with the benefit of skinniness and excellent health, or it can come with overweight and illness -- just like the rest of the population on the Standard American Diet.

Initially, just by simply dropping cheese and eggs out of my diet, I dropped seven pounds in less than three weeks without batting an eyelash. I couldn't believe how much extra weight I had because of cheese (which is physically addictive)!!!

Then by walking 4 miles per day, lifting weights four times per week, and following recipes from the books of Dr. McDougall and Dr. Barnard, I lost an additional 11 pounds and was the most fit, slender, and healthy I had ever been.

So why am I here, counting calories and exercise with this program???

Well, in the last one year I went through some drama. I had an extremely difficult job assignment that kept me out of the house and the gym. I then experienced several months with the threat of losing this job, and then ultimately I lost it and became unemployed. During this one year, I remained vegan as I have and always will be, but did not make the best food choices, often going for quick and convenient rather than healthy. I also began cooking a lot of comfort foods and desserts as well, since all I wanted to do under stress is eat!! When I lost my job, I read tons of cookbooks, experimented with new recipes and made even more desserts. It's been fun, but now that I am back to work part-time, I don't fit into my professional clothing like my slacks and button down shirts (six months in sweatpants makes you lost track of your body size!!!)

Now I am back at the gym every day for the last 2 1/2 weeks and brought out those old recipes from Dr. McDougall and Dr. Barnard. My first week I lost 3 pounds, and I don't know about this week because my weigh in day is Friday. But I can say that my one pair of black slacks fits less snugly, and I am feeling an intense increase in energy as well as improvement with my activities at the gym.

I'm explaining this little story because I read the replies about whether or not vegan = thin and I can tell you I've been on both sides of it, having lost or gained weight as a vegan. I can also say that it is absolutely not hard to be vegan AT ALL!!! A little bit of creativity and extra time spent in the produce or bulk grain section of the grocery store will solve that problem. I have never had a problem getting enough protein or any other nutrients. My blood work (which I do about once per year) has always shown excellent health, and even led to a small discount on a life insurance plan. It's easy, delicious, and healthy for the planet, the animals, and human beings.
  • OldHickory28
    Options
    Yeast is great! All yeasts are fungi, and fungi aren't animals.

If you're vegan, there is nothing better than nutritional yeast on some garlic bread! Nutritional yeast is also great in tofu scrambles and curries.
  • OldHickory28
    Options
    I've been a vegan for four years. I eat a fair amount of fake meats (Boca chickn patties and anything by Tofurkey) , frozen burritioes, and mass quantities of steamed veggies. Seems to work well for me. I'm healthier than I've ever been. It is easy to eat too much, but the gym balances it out. Even the junkiest food I eat (e.g. Tofurkey frozen pizza or chicken fried seitan - both of which are off the chain) is still tremendously less junky than a their non-vegan equivalents. Chips are still a death trap, though.
  • pesimax
    Options
    Hey, I'm new and I'm a vegan (about three years now, veggie since i was 16). My main dieting problem was I love vegan pasta....lots of it. So coming here should force the craving out of me lol.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm a vegan/vegetarian and have been for a few years. I don't have an issue not eating dairy or eggs; and I've never been much for the faux-meat stuff. My issue is pasta and carbs (bread, tortilla's, etc).

Right now I'm working on eating a clean, fresh diet. Nothing processed. It seems to be helping and I've lost 12 pounds in about 6 weeks. I'm going back to school to become a thai massage therapist... and lets face it, no one wants a fat chick working their kinks out ;)

Another issue of mine is that I work in brewery.... Yup. I'm surrounded by beer all day long and a requirement of my job is to drink beer. (sigh) Tough life... :)

Add me if you're looking for veg-head support!!
  • VeganPride
    Options
    I have tried a lot of vegan cheeses and, in my humble opinion, Daiya is the very best one. Whole Foods sells it.

~Anna
  • VeganFit
    VeganFit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Vegan Loud and Proud over here LOL! Going Vegan was one of the easiest choices i've ever made (when I did decide to finally do it that is) and I've never looked back. I've never thought it was 'hard' or thought that I 'couldn't' have things I just chose differently. I've seen so many people tell me I 'can't' have this or that and usually in a negative tone and to that I always reply.. I CAN have those things, I just choose not to. At first going vegan was more so for spirit and health benefits but now its so much more than that. I absolutely loved reading Skinny ***** and Skinny *kitten*! So great and funny. Watching Documentaries and keeping informed on whats what, whos who and all that jazz has really transformed my life. Going Vegan defo is very rewarding (for me). Love that there are other Vegans here! One thing that I am determined to master is Tofu! hah.
  • OneLostSock
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for the best part of 20 years and have made attempts at veganism on numerous occasions. I've been milk free for a while and only eat the eggs from a friends garden (ex-battery hens). I am trying to cut out milk and eggs that are hidden in foodstuffs and tend to bake from scratch. Turning Vegan is the hardest challenge i have set myself (even harder than the losing weight issue)!!!

Cheese is def my downfall though. The fake ones smell like sick!
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    The problem about eating Vegan is that you tend to eat more processed foods. Processed foods make you gain weight. You have to stick with fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Vegan Loud and Proud over here LOL! Going Vegan was one of the easiest choices i've ever made (when I did decide to finally do it that is) and I've never looked back. I've never thought it was 'hard' or thought that I 'couldn't' have things I just chose differently. I've seen so many people tell me I 'can't' have this or that and usually in a negative tone and to that I always reply.. I CAN have those things, I just choose not to. At first going vegan was more so for spirit and health benefits but now its so much more than that. I absolutely loved reading Skinny ***** and Skinny *kitten*! So great and funny. Watching Documentaries and keeping informed on whats what, whos who and all that jazz has really transformed my life. Going Vegan defo is very rewarding (for me). Love that there are other Vegans here! One thing that I am determined to master is Tofu! hah.
    I SO agree! When I first went vegan over a year ago, my mother-in-law was constantly saying, "Oh, well you probably can't eat that," and I had to reply with exactly what you said: "Actually, I can, I just choose not to." Some people just don't get it. (They still don't.)

So far, my favorite tofu recipe is from Veganomicon: baked BBQ tofu with apricot BBQ sauce. Absolutely delicious! The nutritional stats aren't too bad per serving, either, once you calculate it out. :-)
  • vegantriathlete
    vegantriathlete Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 9 years and have been a triathlete for most of those. I was a healthier vegan then than I am now. I've become lazy: toast with peanut butter, veggie ground round and pasta, etc. One thing that I have struggled with is overeating while in training mode. It is difficult because I FEEL hungry, but am just not eating the right foods. That's why I'm here.
    The problem about eating Vegan is that you tend to eat more processed foods. Processed foods make you gain weight. You have to stick with fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains.

I don't necessarily agree with that... I guess it depends on what diets you are comparing. Most of the omnivores I know eat a ridiculous amount of processed foods. There are definitely some processed foods that vegans eat, like soy milk, tofu, and fake meats. However, I found I had to give up most processed foods because most of it wasn't vegan. That being said, if you compare a vegan here (ie. North America) as opposed to a vegan in India, you would be right in saying that we eat a lot of processed vegan food.

Right now I'm eating a Tofurkey sausage with a fresh salad - ahhh, it's all about balance right?
  • niknak356
    niknak356 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    VEGAN!!!!! Me too x
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Vegans! Good to see there is a few of us here! I am definitely not a health freak (if I was I guess I'd be skinny).

I'm new here, friend me if you want to share info! ( let me know you're vegan if you do)

-Jeanie
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    I'm Vegan!! I sent you a friend request, too!! Looking for more friends!! :)
    I've been vegan 2.5 years. Best thing, EVER!!
  • TonyaJ83
    Options

I do not eat very many processed foods at all. I eat 90% more fresh fruits, veggies and grains than any carnivore that I know!
  • TonyaJ83
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for the best part of 20 years and have made attempts at veganism on numerous occasions. I've been milk free for a while and only eat the eggs from a friends garden (ex-battery hens). I am trying to cut out milk and eggs that are hidden in foodstuffs and tend to bake from scratch. Turning Vegan is the hardest challenge i have set myself (even harder than the losing weight issue)!!!

Cheese is def my downfall though. The fake ones smell like sick!

I read the book "Skinny *****" and went from junk food carnivore to healthy, clean eating Vegan on the SPOT! No turning back! :)
  • idylls
    idylls Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi there. i'm a 5-year ethical vegan. i make a lot of soups and stews that i can eat for lunch and dinner, vegan spinach lasagna, the occasional stir-fry...and then a fair amount of processed vegan dinners like amy's, boca, etc. while i eat a lot of fruits, veggies, legumes, tofu and such, i definitely love my carbs and have a sweet tooth. i've been noticing i consume waaaaay to many carbs in a day, and have been trying to reduce that amount, but its especially challenging when something like a fruits like bananas have 25-30 carbs.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi all, great to see some vegans and on-the-road-to-vegans out there! I've been an ethical vegan for 15 years or so, lacto-ovo for 20 years before that. I LOVE to eat, and to have my cocktails. I eat way too many processed foods. I'm staying within my calorie limits, but I tend to hoard my calories until the end of the day, after a workout, then splurge and eat most of my day's calories in 2 hours. really bad habits. Perhaps that should change, but I'm just happy to keep the calories down for now and keep working out every day. I'm losing weight and feeling more fit.

I'd like to have some vegan friends here for support. But looking at what I eat may not be a good example. But maybe we can share some decadent-tasting-but-low-cal vegan ideas.

@TonyaJ83, there has been great progress in vegan cheeses the past few years! Before that they were just awful. I was a huge cheese lover when I was lacto-ovo, it was the hardest thing about going vegan. My favorite cheeses are:

Daiya (mozzarella and cheddar)
    Sheese (from Scotland, blocks and creamy spreads).
    Tofutti slices

My favorite non-dairy milk is Blue Diamond Almond Plain Unsweetened. It is extremely low in calories (40/cup) and tastes the most like I remember cow's milk tasting like. All the other non-dairy milks are sweet and kind of weird to me.

-jeanie
  • mixmastermel_b
    mixmastermel_b Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here! Have been planning lots of vegan meals lately! I have found that all vegetarian/vegan cookbooks are NOT created equal. What are you favorites?!

Any book by Isa Chandra & Sarah Kramer, I own every book they have written, and my friend just wrote a great vegan book;

http://www.vegangirlsguide.com/

i'm not vegetarian/vegan but i do try and make some of my meals meat free. i love melisser's blog (the urban housewife). i need to check her book out.