Calories Burned Calculator

Options
:flowerforyou: I just came across this:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/fitness/multimedia.jsp?multimediaId=/templatedata/fitness/multimedia/data/1205330354901.xml

and thought I'd share it with you if anyone is interested. It's just a calculator where you choose what exercise you've done, input your weight and how many minutes of the exercise you have done and it calculates how many calories you have burned off! It includes things like watching tv and typing and even putting away your groceries! So next time I'm watching tv I won't feel so bad not doing exercise cos I'm burning off calories doing it anyway!! :laugh:

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind these have a large amount of error in them. If you don't know what your heart rate during an activity is, then your just guessing. I ran my activities through it and they weren't even close.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    all of these calculation ignore the fitness factor. the more fit you become and the more you do the same exercise the less you burn doing it, even if you don't lose any weight.
    69698 Posts: 3
    Options
    I just use what the machine has listed for calories burned when I finished with treadmill or ellpictal , seems more
    accurate then plugging in minutes on some web site .
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The myfitnesspal exercise section (database page) has the same feature. Whether or not it really corrects for weight, I'm not sure.

But so long as the scale shows the desired trend over time, there's no problem with using unreliable data and calculations as reference.
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't know how exact my recordings are when noting what exercise I have done but I seem to be doing ok with what I'm doing and I think the noted calculator would help me for now. I see a lot of people use HRM's but I don't know the first thing about them, but I think I'll look into this.
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just use what the machine has listed for calories burned when I finished with treadmill or ellpictal , seems more

Those machines always have a 'default' user they base those numbers off of. It might not be you, so the numbers might be inaccurate.
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think I will invest in a HRM to get more accurate readings cos I don't always trust what is online or on here
  • getmehealthy
    Options
    this is great! I shared it with my co-workers too.
  • erickirb
    Options

The machine calculations ignore the fitness factor. the more fit you become and the more you do the same exercise the less you burn doing it, even if you don't lose any weight.
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The HRM is a great idea. Personally I'd probably eat way too much if I was adding up all the calories for just "existing." I think that your daily intake on MFP.com considers your general activity level into your BMR, too.
  • erickirb
    Options
    The HRM is a great idea. Personally I'd probably eat way too much if I was adding up all the calories for just "existing." I think that your daily intake on MFP.com considers your general activity level into your BMR, too.

MFP takes daily activity level and adds it to BMR to get maintenance calories, from maintenance it gives you a deficit based on your goal. Daily activity does not affect BMR, but it does affect maintenance calories.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Try this one:

http--www.braydenwm.com-calburn.htm

You'll need an approximate average heart rate to get the calories burned. As an example, I average a heart rate of 150bpm when using an elliptical machine at a moderate pace. As was stated earlier, the better your fitness, the lower your heart rate and hence the fewer calories you burn.