Calories while Sick

Options
I seem to have either the cold or flu.:( Full on joint pains, headaches, up-and-down fever, mild hallucinations, sore throat, etc. Not too snuffly, though.

Yesterday, because I was hungrier than normal, I decided to go up to 250 above my calories, taking me up to maintenance. If I go higher than that, will that be gaining, or does my body need the calories to fight off the infection?

I don't want to make myself worse by not eating enough, but I also don't want to use it as an excuse to eat as much junk food as I can grab. Ideas?

Replies

• leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've been sick this last week too and have been way hungrier and also craving bad food. I indulged in most of it because I was feeling crappy and throwing myself a big ol pity party. weighed myself and had lost 4 lbs (obviously won't stick because it's "sick weight") but i do believe you're body burns more while you're sick because it's trying to fight off the junk. just my insight tho.
    good luck
  • stepphanie
    Options
    If you are extra hungry and need to add extra calories make sure it is Healthy! My family just fought off that junk a couple of weeks ago. The only thing that worked was staying hydrated and sleep. Also take some motrin or tylenol. You might also want to up your vitamin C. Good luck and get better soon. For your throat gargle warm salt water.
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have the cold just now and yesterday I felt awful. Last night I ate an entire large tube of mini Rolo's to make myself feel better (it did!) and I was just over my calories by 40! Before using MFP I'd have done that easy just for the sake of it, on a normal MFP day I wouldn't have done that to be good, but just cos I was feeling yucky I did it and didn't care if I went over! :laugh: