Skydiving Scare

Options

Replies

• p90x_Dude
    Options
    To each his own, I just personally have no desire to risk almost certain death with a manmade object. Same for bungie jumping, but again it's just me.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Anything you do in this world may kill you. Heck, stepping on your doorstep could lead to the stone fracturing, you falling forward and breaking your neck. You could fall down the stairs heading out to work. There are so many things in this world that can kill you that we forget about the risk. We eat cheese burgers despite heart disease being the number one killer of Americans. People still smoke. I understand there is acceptable risk, but at the same time we assume much worse risks every single day. Simply because the risk is spread over a wider period of time doesn't mean it's not just as present.

I choose to ignore the risk and live my life like I may die tomorrow, because, who knows? I just might. Just a few weeks ago a lady I work with, age 40, went to the hospital. She is now on kidney dialasis, and her body has gone septic. She has less than .01% chance to survive - and if she does, she will be in an iron lung because her organs have all but ceased functioning.

What good is giving up something you've always wanted to do because it might kill you, if you know you might die tomorrow anyway? Don't take living for granted, because it can be taken away at any time.

All religions aside, we only have one life. Don't let it end with regrets and "I wish I would haves..."

Just my $0.02
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    I went mtn biking and loved it and then I got a bike and crashed but still loved it. It was hard to get back on it and not let my fear guide me. I have some pretty amazing brusies and cuts from my crash- my legs aint lookin' pretty.

Fear has been a big theme in my life and I "lost" a lot of years by being afraid. Some of the things that have happened - like i was held hostage in Africa- yeah no kidding! could have made me afraid to travel but last year I took off for 6 months and traveled solo to Panama and India and LOVED it. yeah I get afraid sometimes but I also have learned to trust myself and learn when things are unsafe and I need to back out and when things are just kinda scary and I need to push through or at least chip away at the fear. I am not a fan of flying but I travel a lot and just have to deal with the anxiety that comes up. It is worth the destination to me.

Now when I go mtn biking i am trying one scary looking thing each time to build up my confidence. It is a big confidence booster and I also realize that falling down is part of life.

hmm- skydiving....sounds amazing for sure.

I think maybe my hardest fear issue has merely been letting go and feeling and trusting life, love and all that goes along with it.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    It's on my personal Bucket List as well...
    638-5X11BUCKET.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.JPG
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Here's the link to the most recent info on that skydiving accident
    http://www.wxii12.com/news/17483999/detail.html?rss=gws&psp=news

Parachute Malfunction Blamed In Skydiving Deaths

JONESVILLE, N.C. -- A medical examiner said a parachute malfunction caused the deaths of a Salisbury skydiving instructor and his student during a weekend jump in Yadkin County.

A spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, however, told The Salisbury Post that the agency is still examining the parachutes.

Thirty-eight-year-old James Paul Pregler and a student, 21-year-old Adam Ryan Howard, of Deep Run in Lenoir County, died in the jump Saturday. They were harnessed together for a tandem jump at Swan Creek Airport in Jonesville.

"It's not something that happens every day," said Dean Abernathy, who lives near where the crash happened. "(They landed) about 30 to 40 feet from the highway. I expected it to happen sooner or later. I really did."

Dr. James McGrath of Hoots Memorial Hospital in Yadkinville said the men died on impact after their main and reserve chutes failed to open.

FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said investigators will determine whether the parachutes deployed or not.
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    :huh: Do as I say, not as I do??? Helicopter photo...Hummm... LOL

Did you even read what I wrote? I'm not trying to tell other people what to do. The question was about opinions and so I gave mine and don't particularly care if anyone agrees with me or not.

I don't think learning to fly airplanes or helicopters is on the same level as sky diving. For me, learning to fly has personal as well as practical implications. I can travel whenever, wherever without having to book a flight and go through the TSA hassle. I can make weekend trips that would be too far to drive meaning that I can visit family more often and in less time. I'm also in the process of trying to turn my hobby into an avocation. More than just a thrill, flying is a complex set of skills and I enjoy the challenge of it. Furthermore, it is estimated that there are fewer than 750,000 pilots in the country with only a fraction being helicopter pilots and fewer still that are dual rated. I enjoy being one of that very small group and I enjoy knowing that I earned my way into that elite club through study, practice and hard work.

I was an Aeroscout Observer in the Army during the Gulf War (1990) and that's where I learned to fly. That's also where I learned about acceptable risk. I got out of the Army and didn't touch a helicopter for 13 years. I finally decided that life was too short not to chase my dreams of flying professionally. That's why I got back into it. It hasn't been cheap, easy or fast but now I'm on the road to a flying career. Maybe I'll go all the way, maybe not, but I'll never look back and say, "I wish I had..."

...and I think that is what this thread was all about. Carpe diem.

Kudos for you LockedCJ! My dad learned to fly in Vietnam and when came home got his pilot's license too. He always says flying a helicopter is the hardest, but landing it is even harder. I have friends who fly and live for it. A very expensive profession to get into, or a very expensive hobby to have. But, I think you're right about all the benefits- especially getting to visit family and friends more often.

Carpe diem.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Did you even read what I wrote?

No...I'm blind, I can't read... I do all my posts by braille. Are you making fun of me?

blind-man.jpg

Here's what I do for a good time...

m_7ff5adc0a3c0e001cbf78d41b6567e09.jpgm_d905c157329c0bd6995c003926b7f506.jpg

• cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

I have pretty strong feelings about "thrill-seeking" behavior, even if it's relatively safe. If it's part of a military mission or fire-fighting operation, then I can understand it. I won't be jumping out of a perfectly good airplane just to test the Law of Gravity. Parachutes are mechanical devices and mechanical devices can fail, regardless of how good the maintenance is.

I accept enough risk in my life without adding more just for the thrill. I am a pilot with commercial helicopter and private airplane privileges and I'm working on my instrument airplane rating and hope to finish my helicopter instructor's rating by next summer. From my point of view, those are skills that can be learned and can be used for some legitimate purpose. Falling is just falling.

That said, I'm not going to stand in the way if someone else wants to do it. I might even be the pilot taking the skydivers up some day. :bigsmile:

I don't see it so much as being a "thrill-seeking" behavior as a letting go behavior.

I've seen it happen so many times: someone loses weight and wants to do something out of the ordinary for them, something they never thought they could do but that they had always dreamed of...it's as if they are letting go of their old mind sets and believing they can finally succeed at what was only a dream before...

And it doesn't have to always manifest with something "mechanical", which can have faults as you stated...the human body is flawed, one wrong move on the highway and we're toast, one wrong step and you can break a toe by stubbing it, if you're in the water at the wrong time you could lose a limb from a tiger shark...

and why does everything have to have a legitimate purpose in life? can't i just do something to reward myself? to congratulate my hard work? or just because I want to try it? isn't THAT legitimate enough?

it's good to see that you understand others want to try something, but i hope you do things for yourself because you enjoy it sometimes, not because it's a necessary staple of chores in life.:indifferent:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    :huh: Do as I say, not as I do??? Helicopter photo...Hummm... LOL

Did you even read what I wrote? I'm not trying to tell other people what to do. The question was about opinions and so I gave mine and don't particularly care if anyone agrees with me or not.

I don't think learning to fly airplanes or helicopters is on the same level as sky diving. For me, learning to fly has personal as well as practical implications. I can travel whenever, wherever without having to book a flight and go through the TSA hassle. I can make weekend trips that would be too far to drive meaning that I can visit family more often and in less time. I'm also in the process of trying to turn my hobby into an avocation. More than just a thrill, flying is a complex set of skills and I enjoy the challenge of it. Furthermore, it is estimated that there are fewer than 750,000 pilots in the country with only a fraction being helicopter pilots and fewer still that are dual rated. I enjoy being one of that very small group and I enjoy knowing that I earned my way into that elite club through study, practice and hard work.

I was an Aeroscout Observer in the Army during the Gulf War (1990) and that's where I learned to fly. That's also where I learned about acceptable risk. I got out of the Army and didn't touch a helicopter for 13 years. I finally decided that life was too short not to chase my dreams of flying professionally. That's why I got back into it. It hasn't been cheap, easy or fast but now I'm on the road to a flying career. Maybe I'll go all the way, maybe not, but I'll never look back and say, "I wish I had..."

...and I think that is what this thread was all about. Carpe diem.

ya ok, that was rude. Everyone can have an opinion....
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Well let's get back to the thread that I Luv Sparkles Started

Have I ever been skydiving no - would ah no scared to death of heights.

To each their own wouldn't bungie jump either swim with the sharks - I'm a doer travelled all over the world rode a Harley -

to each their own - I hate heights maybe if I didn't who knows.

This is the way I look at things - I survived a near fatal car crash in the 80's - spent a week in ICU
    I survived Breast cancer 2 years ago........

Skydiving welll I think I'd be pushing it :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I could make excuses not to.
    I could make arguments for it.

Fact of the matter is I am pee-my-pants PETRIFIED of heights.
    The only way you'd get me out of that plane is to push me.
    And then I'd go into shock on the way down.
    So for me.... skydiving is a big fat NO!
    128338152844531250ohnoesiis.jpg
    (Hope that image works)
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    hi all..well yea, the thread kind of digressed a little there for a minute.

but the update is, the we found out that the instructor who passed away was the same guy that josh was strapped up with :( so needless to say it has been a somber day
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options

but the update is, the we found out that the instructor who passed away was the same guy that josh was strapped up with :( so needless to say it has been a somber day

Whoa. :frown: Didn't expect that one coming. My condolences, Sparkles. :flowerforyou:

Makes me appreciate today even more....
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I managed to stay out of this....

but, my thoughts and prayers are with those guys.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/28415524.html
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well I was going to say I've been ski-diving and loved it but that's truly a downer to hear it was his instructor in the accident. :frown:

Life happens, accidents happen - I hope he understands that it wasn't his time and he remembers his wild and crazy day fondly.

Sometimes its nice just to surprise people and say, "Yeah, I did that." No one ever suspects the quiet ones. :laugh: :laugh:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options

So I saw the second posting you said -- you set a date?!?! And when is this magical date!! How exciting!!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sorry for the somber realization that the instructor was the very same. I'll be honest from my experience, life is full of those "oh my gosh, that could have been me" incidents. I went on a ferris wheel, next day it broke people stuck for hours, and the gate opened on several , one fell out (I was much younger)-- could have been me -- but wasn't. I am not saying this isn't a significant event, just listen to your inner voice on what it is teaching you.

We all have "risk management" whether we consider it a risk to sky dive, bungee (no way!! for me), horseback ride, hunt, run in the dark, or pilot a helicopter. All are risky behavior -- the only thing that is safe is to put yourself in a nice, white, cushiony room and never come out... hmmmm doesn't sound appealing.

Anyway, my 2cents
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Life isn't meant to go unlived :wink:
    i like that...
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    No one ever suspects the quiet ones. :laugh: :laugh:

I love that!!! Exsmackly. LOL :wink:
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the support..its just such an odd feeling that is almost impossible to shake. ..

oh and as for the date TNT, so far it looks like April 18th!
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    Hey found out some of my co-workers had also been to the same instructors and told me something about the people killed. Apparently the young man killed was a student at ECU who was doing what his girlfriend wanted to do for her birthday. Even if this isn't true it's sad all the same.

Yep we only live once but AGAIN PERSONALLY SPEAKING, if I drive my motorcycle at 180mph (which I have in my more stupid days) I'm increasing the "risk" of injury/death. So, again personally speaking it's not for me, but thankfully we all can choose our own hobbies/likes. People tell me I'm crazy for riding a motorcycle, but they like bungy jumping or deep sea diving in shark infested waters. It's just amazing that what some may enjoy on a daily or weekly basis may be called "crazy" by others. Again, to each his own, we can all make choices and may have concequences for them.

My .02 only :smile: