Vegan/Vegetarians and weight loss

Options
I've been reading the book Skinny ***** over the last few weeks and have decided to start working towards a Vegan lifestyle for health and weighloss reasons. I'm planning on gradually taking things out of my diet so that I don't get overwhelmed and give up. This is my first day completely meatless. :-)

I was interested in starting a forum for fellow vegans/vegetarians who are also working on losing weight ... or for other people who are trying to lose weight and are interested in becoming vegan/vegetarian. This will be a group to support each other, share goals, keep each other accountable, ask questions, share recipes, etc. Anyone interested?

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I've been a veggie for about 7 years now. Actually read the book last weekend! I've been wanting to make my way to a vegan life just haven't done so.

count me in!!
  • SharonMarquiss
    Options
    I am interested. My teenage daughter gave up meat and fish, so I gave up meat to go along with her. I wanted to know how she's feeling. I also started some research to help her, now me. So far, (about two months) I haven't missed meat at all which surprised me. I haven't even eaten much fish. I have now beaten that weight loss plateau which was driving me nuts. Speaking of nuts, we are eating more of them now! I definitely would like more help and advice, and recipes!

Sharon
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    My children are veg-heads...I was one for about 8 years, ate meat for 3 years, hated what it did to my body and digestive system and have been meat free (and loving it) for the past 6 weeks :smile:

I do eat fish occasionally.
  • Constance14
    Options
    I actually have that book as well! I read it this past summer and it was one of the reasons that motivated me into becoming vegetarian. Vegan would be a huge step for me because I love cheese at this point and I wish I could let it go sometimes. I don't eat egg either (i mean as a whole) and even though I do eat cookies/bread that do contain egg I am still in a sense cheating? :/

I am glad you are starting this groups, so thank you for this!
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Ok, so my mom and I just made a new recipe today from the cookbook "easy vegan: simple recipes for healthy eating". It was a butternut squash with pistou sauce that was AMAZING! You take 2 butternut squashes, combine 6T extra virgin olive oil, 4 garlic cloves, and a large handful of fresh basil leaves in a food processor with a little sea salt. brush the pistou mixture over the squash (after it's cut in half and seeded) and bake for 40-45 minutes. Super easy, super yummy!
  • jenifurliie
    jenifurliie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am brand spanking new here and am also a vegetarian (still eat eggs). I have a bit of an extra challenge with my diet because I have multiple food sensitivities that makes figuring out eating plans a bit more challenging. I refrain from, gluten (wheat, rye, barley), soy, dairy, casein, oats, peanuts, cashews, all animal protein, corn, and I feel like I'm leaving something out...lol. Isn't that ENOUGH?!?!? :)

As I said, it's a bit trickier to be vegetarian when I need to omit soy, but I make it work. I eat a TON of legumes and nuts, the obvious, fruits, veggies, and other random things that omit all above said ingredients.

I have been on the diet roller coaster for OVER half of my life (I'm 40) and KNOW that this time I will finally get the weight off once and for all! It does help that I am so food limited so I naturally do not have as many foods to derail my weight loss goals any longer. I have been aware of my food sensitivities for many years, but only in the last year or so my body finally said NO WAY, NO MORE, so I have NO CHOICE. My poor body tolerated it just barely as I continued to ingest these these foods up until about 8 months ago, and of course, compromised my already severely compromised immune system. I am also limiting my simple carbs and white sugars, but I do, occasionally, have small amounts of white sugars so that I do not feel totally deprived.

On the fitness front: I am finally back on the good ol' treadmill after taking a LONG BREAK, and it feels so good to be moving again! Okay, then. That's enough... I've written a book here. :)

In my many weight loss attempts I have not typically reached out for support so this is a BIG step for me. So, here I am.

Thanks for reading! Wishing everyone the best of luck on your weight loss journey and health goals and I hope to motivate and encourage others as well along my path to improved health and happiness!

:) Jenn
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Welcome Jenn :-)

I made my first vegetarian meal for other people today. It didn't turn out quite as I had wanted it to, but I still thought it was good. I didn't receive a ton a compliments though which is always discouraging. *sigh. When i make dinner for other people I like them to be blown away. *sigh again. Oh well, it didn't help that one of the dishes had a TON of onions and one of the guests doesn't like onions haha
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Every sunday I sit down and make my dinner list for the week. This also helps me with my grocery list. Here's what I have so far:

sunday: chicken (real for hubby- Quorn sub for me) asparagus and brown rice pilaf
    Monday- spaghetti squash
    Tuesday-black bean tacos (i use hard corn shells, not flour tortillas)
    Wed- veggie stir fry with brown rice

That's all I have so far. I need to find some new recipes!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hiya.

I have a vegan blog, here.--> http://vegan20eleven.blogspot.com/
  • SharonMarquiss
    Options
    Thank you for your link. Some nice recipes in there. I miss Asda, (never went to Tesco's much) as I'm here in the US now, so can get all the American ingredients you mentioned, like liquid smoke etc. I don't think I'll go the Vegan route but you never know. I never did like dairy products much, unless they are hidden in something. Thinking back, my mum must've had a terrible time with me, as I didn't like vegetables, fatty meat (which she always got), fish, or anything dairy. I hid all this from my children, and they like most things. Just the one has become a vegetarian so far, of her own choice for ethical reasons. I will keep checking out your blog. Thanks!

Sharon
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    weighed in mid week this week and only lossed 0.5lbs so far. I know that's not bad for only 4 days but for a competition and for cutting out meat I feel like it should be a little more. *sigh. Oh well, I'll take any loss. :-)
  • rcrea
    rcrea Posts: 80
    Options
    Hey there! Fellow vegetarian always looking for more support during weightloss. :flowerforyou:
  • kimeister
    Options
    Veg for 3 1/2 years and loving it. I have never been so healthy in my life. Since going veg, I have only been sick twice. It's amazing what it will do for your body and your spirit.

Feel free to share recipes, successes, etc. We're all in it!
  • SharonMarquiss
    Options
    Sorry to mention this, but It took a few weeks for me to notice a difference after giving up meat. I was at my wits end, but finally, a few pounds came off. I've been working hard at exercising too after joining a gym. You just have to keep at it. Don't give up! I almost did!
  • SharonMarquiss
    Options
    Just a quick mention that; if you have a Noodles and Company near you, they have a nice Thai Curry Soup that I love and recommend. I usually have tofu in it which is optional. They may have other vegetarian items, but I love the soup so much I never have anything else!

Sharon
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Veg for 3 1/2 years and loving it. I have never been so healthy in my life. Since going veg, I have only been sick twice. It's amazing what it will do for your body and your spirit.

Feel free to share recipes, successes, etc. We're all in it!

are you vegetarian or vegan? curious about how much a different the meat products makes
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    anyone here breastfeed? I'm a new vegetarian, and the family I live with are meat eaters AND do all the grocery shopping and most of the cooking so I just to be careful that I'm getting the nutrition I need for me and the baby. Any recommendations?
  • reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi all :) Thought i'd join in.

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian of 12 years. It was a bit difficult for me a few years ago because I became allergic to nearly everything from the age of 14-22 (most vegetables, pulses etc), I only ate cheese, bread and potatoes for the longest time, which i'm sure helped me pile on the pounds. Now I seem to have grown out of my allergies and the only thing I really have to watch out for is Cashew nuts, so i've got a lot more choice.

Only lost .4 of a pound last week so hoping for a bigger number this week.
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    I have another question ... sorry if it's too much information ... so I switched to being a vegetarian a week ago and have been really bloated and gasy ever since. Does anyone else have that problem? I'm not consuming a ton a dairy although I do still have come of it in my diet. I'm not sure why the weird side affects, I thought I would be feeling better?
  • shirib
    shirib Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love that book. I became a vegetarian without even thinking about it or trying. My mom had surgery and I was taking care of her, her doc suggested limiting animal protein for a while so I went out after hearing great reviews and bought skinny B**** and I loved it. My body did too, I felt like finally it was something that my body liked, I've been hooked ever since although I'm not vegan I still eat cheese, drink milk, and will eat seafood I absolutely do not eat chicken, pork or beef anymore and I don't ever miss it or ever want it. Weird, but it's been great for me.