I need some HELP from some 1200 cal a day pals

Options

Replies

• BeatTheBattle
    Options
    I hate to say it but 1200 kcal per day long term is not going to see you get to your goals. You will plateau. I found that exercising and eating those calories back resulting in a net consumption of 1200 kcals made this a LOT easier. You also have the energy. Eating 1200 kcal long term will lower your metabolism and you'll have to eat less and less to lose more weight.

I know its been said before but the calculator for BMR is not correct on here. It has me losing 1 lb a week at 1200 kcals when in actual fact I maintain on 2500 kcals so I've manually upped my calories to 2000 kcal (I'm 5'6) and am losing that 1lb per week.

Calorie counting does only so much. My advice, small planned meals throughout the day, carb / protein balance, and get outside and do some cardio or weight training. It does wonders!

You'll reach your goal. One lunch I really enjoyed was honey roasted salmon (1 fillet @ 150 kcal), small baked sweet potato (150g @ 120 kcal) and mixed leaf garden salad (85g @ 20kcal) with lemon juice and mustard dressing (20 kcal), total 310 kcal. And VERY tasty.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    We're already friends, but I am also on the 1200 cals-a-day plan. Anyone else on here who'd also like to add me, feel free! My diary is open to friends. So far I've found that it's definitely doable, and I agree with those who are saying exercise is the key. Something that really helps me out though is that I have dance class for 2 1/2 hrs on Thursdays & Fridays and burn a TON of calories those 2 days. If I tried to net 1200 cals on those days, I'd be eating over 2500 cals each of those days!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    My diary is public, feel free! I go between 1200 and 1400, and do use some exercise cals. Pretty boring stuff M-F, it gets changed up on the weekends though.
  • us05
    us05 Posts: 54
    Options
    I struggle to get to my 1200 calories a day.. Im not hungry and eat 5 times a day!
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    add me:) I am at 1200 and i find it hard to stay at that. I am an afternoon snacker.....i could live without dinner but find myself have cocktails at night..not a good thing...that always brings me over:(..you are not alone!
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200 cal also and would love to hear what others are eating - I seem to fall short on carbs and ttl calories and a little bit over on protein. Pls add me as a friend.
  • roma2011
    roma2011 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is doable if you eat plenty of veg and cut out the crappy foods. Also, watch portion size with meats and carbs. I was shocked when I weighed the amount of meat I am supposed to be eating - basically one standard sized chicken breast was giving me all my meat allowance for both lunch and dinner, whereas before i'd have a full chicken breast for just one meal. I have my food plan as given to me by my trainer up at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/180420-is-there-a-correct-order-for-eating-food-types-in and that might be helpful for you. That plan is for 1500 calories a day. I'm burning 500-600 calories 3 times a week though so once that's taken into account I should be averaging out at just above 1200 actual calories a day. I find it difficult to eat all my calories allowance for the 1500 calories, so defo if you're finding things a struggle I think the key is to eat more good healthy food and exercise to burn the extra calories you have eaten.
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cal a day, but I just started. Feel free to add me, I'd love to read some other 1200 a day diaries. I exercise and I'm still unsure about how many exercise cals I should be eating back. I only need to lose my last 10 pounds or so.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I requested you. My diary is open though for whoever else cares.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is doable if you eat plenty of veg and cut out the crappy foods. ...so defo if you're finding things a struggle I think the key is to eat more good healthy food and exercise to burn the extra calories you have eaten.
    Amen. I couldn't have said it better.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    here's some thoughts that have been buzzing round my head. I'm 5 foot tall, and my BMR is around 1250 (dpends which equation is used). My maintenance rate is about 1550 cals.

MFP has me set at 1200 to lose weight, which is right because I need to eat less than my maintenance calories, and lose slow and steady. BUT, I need to stay above my BMR otherwise I can't exist.

As BMR represents what your body needs to function, and NOT what your body needs throughout the day (much as I might like to some days, I cannot be asleep all day) then if I am eating 1200 calories a day I am not actually getting enough calories.

In order to properly lose weight and up my calorie allowance, I need to exercise and eat some of those extra calories. Assuming that burned calorie numbers are over-estimated, I should eat back around 75% of my execise calories.

The thing I have realised is this - because my actual BMR is very close to what I am actually being recommended as my calorie goal on here, the ONLY way I can lose weight safely without starving is to up the exercise and expect only to lose weight very slowly.

Hope that makes sense!!!!
  • savvynurse
    Options
    Add me as well. I am at 1200 cal a day. Gain more by exercise. I dont always use my exercise cals...at least not ALL of them but I do try to stay under if its only 100 cals. Anyone else can add me too.... Am always looking for new ideas to spice up the meal plan
  • Wightvixen
    Options
    I'm in the 1200 calorie club. My main strategy is to eat low calorie/ low fat versions of as many things as possible so that I can eat more quantity-wise to stave off the munchies!

Have sent you a friend invite :smile:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 1200 calorie club. My main strategy is to eat low calorie/ low fat versions of as many things as possible so that I can eat more quantity-wise to stave off the munchies!

Have sent you a friend invite :smile:

I'm not a fan of low fat/low cal versions as they often have extra ingredients such as high sugar just to get the taste. (or worse). Low GI stuff that is slow to burn works well though.
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I too am in the 1200 calorie club. I was quite surprised to find that it isn't all that difficult for me to maintain it. I am not a a big junk food eater and hate fast foods. I really enjoy cooking fresh, healthy meals from scratch for my family (when I'm not working) and most of the time the kids don't complain! We're sticking to mostly organic, non-processed foods lately and I've noticed a huge increase in my metabolism as well as my overall energy level. It's only been a month and I've already lost 9 pounds! I am so proud of myself!
    Feel free to friend me, just attach a quick note to your request.
    Cheers!
    Renée
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 straight after Christmas, so if you want to see how to get chocolate into 1200 cals nearly every day, friend me! I was losing weight too fast for my liking, so went up to 1450, and now I'm trying to maintain at 1790 (I think!).

At 1200 I counted any exercise I could, including cooking and cleaning, and I wonder if that helped me to succeed.
  • madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am a 1200 cal day girl so please anyone feel free to add me :)

Like some not all my days are perfect BUT I never eat over my calories and rarely eat my earnt calories from exercise so although some food choice may not be great I still stick to my cals :) (e.g. I had a tikka masala yesterday for lunch - just the meat and sauce no rice but it was 550cals!!!!!!!!!!)
  • staceywoo
    Options
    I'm also on 1200 a day, anyone else on 1200 feel free to add me - my diary is open to friends. I've been on a reduced calorie diet since August, and have so far lost 32 pounds. For a few months before Christmas I was finding it fairly easily to consistently keep my daily calories to between 1000 and 1100, but then (inevitably!) I hit my plateau. For the last couple of weeks I've upped my daily calories to 1200, and I lost 3 pounds.
    It would be good to see anyone's diaries for some ideas and a bit of support! 8 lbs to go!!!
  • 2BFitnFab
    2BFitnFab Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    FOr those of you on 1200 calories a day was this determined by MFP or did you customize your calories? My calories were initially over 2,500 and I had to change my activity to sedentary and lower workout to 3 times per week for 30 minutes(even though I do more) just to get it down to 1,700 calories. I prefer to say between 1,400 and 1,530 calories. I also have about 70 lbs to lose. I weigh 224 lbs now. Are my calories so high because I have a large amount of weight to lose?