Help...I think I am addicted to food...

Options
Seriously!! I am running the risk of completely "outing" myself here, but I don't care. I need some insight and help and maybe a little support in knowing I am not alone..

I think I have an addiction to food. I think about it all the time...when am I gonna eat again? what am I gonna eat? where am I gonna eat? I think about my favorite places to eat and obsess about it until I break down and go there. My thoughts always focus on food and when, what, and how I am going to eat it. I am tired of it having such a stronghold in my life. I have tried numerous times to make lifestyle changes only to go back to the same old obsessive me... anyone else have these feelings??

I recently came to MFP to try and make some changes. I guess that is a step in the right direction. I just find it difficult to stick with a plan...I do great in the mornings and afternoon (when I plan my food out), but in the evenings I fall apart. It may be partly laziness and/or exhaustion. I just don't feel like cooking when I get home from work and opt for the quickest thing around.

I know that losing weight is not easy but I am seriously up for the challenge~~I am tired of being fat!! I just feel like my emotions and feelings get in the way sometimes and I wish there was a way to stifle them so this journey can be a little easier for me.

any advice, comments, motivation would be appreciated!!

thanks for listening...

Replies

• rebecca_goss0
    Options
    Most overweight people are food addicted. I think about food all the time too, however I plan everything now. I even plan my dinner in the morning. I stick to it too. I have been on MFP for 15 days and have only gone off track one time. I just gave in and sometimes you just have got to give in. Don't give up stay focused and plan plan plan! Good luck!
  • andrewr412
    Options
    How about you make a meal in the morning and then you simply re-heat in the evening? Or how about, if you have enough money, then you could buy one of those monthly hampers that you are able to eat from easy as that.
    Sorry if i didn't help.
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    first things first.... WELCOME.

At least you realized the problem and the need for help. many people dont realize that, just like anything else in life, food can be a source of addiction also.

There are tons of people here that want to help and support you. :)

One thing that may help in your journey is to become more concious about eating. Are you doing it because you are hungry? bored? upset? lonely? Becoming aware of feelings and emotions before you eat will help.

I hope my little input helped :)
  • olianma11
    Options
    I got this advice from my friend when you want to reach any goal. Put down your inspiring notes or secret code that nobody knows what it means except you everywhere such as in car, your planner, your phone, your computer, or wherever that you see often. That will keep you the reminder that you REALLY want to lose the weight and don't give in! You will be proud of yourself when you reach your goal. Keep it up!
  • mrjason
    mrjason Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh, I AM additcted to food, no way around that. I need to learn how to "treat" my addiction as a true addiction.
    I'm new to this website. Let's do this together!
  • smiley01x
    smiley01x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I will want food so bad that i will actually talk myself into getting it. I will say to myself, who cares why cant i love me even if i am fat. and then i justify it by saying, oh this one time wont hurt. it is terrible cycle. how do you break this?
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I too, like everyone else here, has a love for food.
    I think MFP is awesome because you write down what you eat in a day. What you should do is make your food diary visible so your friends, or anyone can see it, this way you'll feel more obligated to stay on track.

Also, because i love food, and tend to over eat, i just exercise more, so i can consume special things that i want to eat.
    Though, i'm surprised at how many calories i'm still able to eat, and even the days that i don't exercise, i still feel like i can't eat all my calories.

Good luck!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Some gentle advice - It's not enough to just admit you're addicted to food - you need to look at WHY you eat the way you eat. It is very common for people to turn to food instead of addressing real problems. Those problems maybe emotional, social, situational, etc. Some people focus on food so much because they feel that's the only thing they really have control over. Others find it is a source of unwavering comfort that they can always rely on.

Take me, for example. I'm someone who tend to eat out of boredom and I also eat when I'm stressed/upset - it's a comfort thing. I also eat more than I should in social situations because I'm uncomfortable. Now that I understand that, I can take steps to address it - arming myself with water so that I'm drinking water in social situations rather than chowing down on everything in sight, making myself get out of the house when I'm bored or finding something to engage my mind other than with food.

You have to dive deep and address your particular triggers for eating. It's great to recognize that you have an unhealthy addiction to food, but understanding the WHY is even more important. I highly suggest you check out this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/138417-triggers-i-notice-on-mfp
  • campitor
    Options
    I know the feeling, I had / have the same problem. Evening munching has been my downfall. I sat last night with my head in my hand with the same feelings I had over a year ago when I quit smoking. I just have to remind myself I can power through it. Just using the same willpower to quit smoking.

As for the not cooking thing. Here's a little tip I found to make my life easier for after work. Get yourself a rice cooker. A small one. That'll let you cook brown rice fairly easily and so on. I usually go to whatever supermarket has the steamer veggies on sale and stock up on them. And I usually buy a walmart 3lb bag of frozen chicken breasts. I cook half the breasts on sunday night. then the meat is done for when i get home from work. Just heat up a breast, nuke a bag of veggies and while that your rice should be about done.

It's taking me fighting my body for 2 months now, but I can feel it adjusting to what I'm trying to do and the weight is finally starting to come off and I'm not having the cravings / addictive feelings as bad.

you just have to keep at it and keep saying yes I can make it work. I'm pretty stubborn. So for me I'm like a boxer that keeps getting back up again after taking a punch. I keep saying I'll do this.

Another thing I've found that helps is taking a walk. I have a 3 mile rails to trail behind my house. So I grab a water bottle and take off. It usually helps me focus on other things and not food.
  • tmthorn0927
    tmthorn0927 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I think I am addicted as well. I think about it all the time. From the moment I wake up until I go to bed. I don't know why that happens. Why is it the 1st thing on my mind in the morning? I clearly have other things to think about! It is sooo frustrating. I also feel like I smell chocolate when there is no chocolate any where near me!!! It is crazy.
  • wanitalilly
    Options
    Here is a great book for you to read...The Eat Clean Diet..by Tosca Reno. Her mantra is to BE PREPARED!! So you plan in advance, pack your meals for the day and wha--la! Its kinda hard to hit up the drive thru when you have a delish meal right there next to you. Also, recognize your own bs. For me this means....when that little food lovin' devil is on your shoulder reminding you how mush you love chocolate or salty french fries.... knock his *kitten* out. Visualize yourself thinner and then visualize yourself fatter, then choose. Sometimes...MOST times, we lie to ourselves way more than we lie to others... Like.."I'll just go this one time to McDonalds..I was sooo good today I deserve it." Next thing you know (if your anything like me) You've eaten 1500 calories in one sitting you feel ashamed and weak and your sitting in your car with tears falling down your cheeks feeling like you will be fat FOREVER.. but if we are just honest with ourselves and acknowledge how hard it is to choose not to eat fast food, or processed food or take out or pizza, if we acknowledge that we are choosing the hard route, that we are going to have to be stronger than we think or fell we are....then maybe its a little easier to choose healthy.
    I'm sorry this is so long, I just really understand that hopelessness. GOOD LUCK! Make healthy choices!!
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do best when I've had a real clean out of all food in the house, and the meals are all planned out. I keep a huge amount of hard boiled eggs in the fridge for unplanned meals (egg whites are very filling and low in calories: I add hummus and make a low-calorie egg salad that way). I have one cheat meal a week that I really look forward to, but I still try to keep that meal healthy so I'm not eating back my one pound a week I get to lose.

That said, I'm probably not addicted to food. I'm just saying that the ways you are saying you fail are 1) unplanned meals and 2) having unhealthy food options available. Regarding the obsessive thoughts, I have very little to say other than find a supportive group of MFP friends. I know there are overeaters anon groups here. Online support has really helped me with difficult issues in my life and I know they can help you, too.

Good luck! You can do this! You want to be healthy and I know you can get there. Be honest, honest honest honest, with your food diary and make it public to your friends. This is a way to start discipline and accountability. And cut yourself some slack! None of us are here because we are awesome and great with food and healthy living. Nobody's perfect.
  • davisle4
    davisle4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    "Outing yourself" is the best thing for you right now. Food is not your friend! It may be comforting now, but results of overeating leave you feeling alienated from who you really are, others around you, and who you want to be. Any of this hitting home?

Step 1: Get a journal. This journal should serve two purposes. Purpose #1-- Everyday you need a new mantra. Write this at the top of your daily entry (i.e., Food is not my friend! Food is not for comfort, it is to fuel my body only for what I need to do.). Purpose #2--Let those feelings out. Write them down and tell your journal exactly how you are feeling so you're not damaging your body with these feelings.

Step 2: Get a week of progress under your belt. It will be a horrible week, but this is essential for your journey. After this horrible week you need to have something great set up for yourself. A reward (i.e., salon, day spa, shopping). It has to be something you really love, but cannot revolve around food at all.

Step 3: Make a list of To-Do's. You have to stay busy. This will help with weight loss (being active) and will also help to distract you from your hunger/desire to eat. You will feel like you're accomplishing more and gain some confidence. This will help to get on your way to meet your goals.

Step 4: Don't be so hard on yourself! There are good things about you. I know this and I don't even know you. Some positive self-talk can go a very long way. You are not only trying to lose weight, but you are also on the road to LOVING YOURSELF.

I hope that this helps. I do therapy with overeaters and these are some suggestions I have given to my clients. If you want to talk anytime, let me know. I am here.
  • Hannah_92
    Options
    When I first starting trying to lose weight I had the same problem! Because before I would pretty much just snack all day and not really pay attention to what I was eating. But now that I have the hang of what I can eat/snack on for very few calories I am good....

If you want to snack - Cut up some baby carrots in quarters. That way it feels like you are eating more then you really are. Log in the calories in the morning and then you won't have to worry about it. Air popped popcorn is great too! Put a little oil in a pan and put 3 kernels of corn in the pan.Turn heat on. Wait until they pop and then add about a quarter cup more. Cover (I like using a clear glass cover) and shake over heat until they are done! Simple! Celery, green peppers, apples, *blueberries, and oranges are all good options!

*A cup of blueberries has less calories then a banana

For dinner - Maybe put something in the slow cooker? Or on the weekend make a big batch of healthy soup (or a few kinds) and then put in bags and freeze. Then when dinner comes you have soup and then have a piece of whole wheat bread and light butter. You can put pretty much anything in the freezer (add me as a friend and I can get you some recipes! I made a ton of freezer food for my mom once)....

EDIT - remember, NOT eating is very bad. Its ok to have a piece of chocolate every once in awhile. Its better to have a small something then to break later and have a huge something! So go ahead and have a little brownie its ok. Don't kill yourself if you go over your calories for the day. Once or twice is fine. Its just when its every day or if you only eat bad things that its a problem. If you are eating really good all day and you go over, its better then eating bad and staying under : )

Good luck!
  • LJHeath73
    Options
    Wow, it sounds like I was reading my own thoughts, as I feel the same way. I love to eat and I think about food all the time. My solution isn't good for everyone, but it helps me. I went to a weight loss doctor who prescribed me phentermine, an appetite suppressant that gives me more control over the food choices I make. In the past, I have been successful at losing up to 30 lbs in 3 months, since that is the length of time my doctor will give me the prescription. The objective during this window of time is to become more conscious of the foods I eat and to learn to live a healthier lifestyle, including cardio and strength training. Then when I go off the prescription I need to keep going with that healthier lifestyle to maintain my weight or potentially lose more weight. At least that is the plan.

There are drawbacks to being on this prescription, though. It can be dangerous for someone with high blood pressure, heart problems, etc. Going off the medication has to be done gradually by reducing the dosage to 1/2 pill over a couple of weeks. I tend to get sluggish and self-indulgent when I go off of it, and it takes a lot of willpower for me to stick to my meal and exercise plans. Sometimes I even get sad or overly grouchy. Plus, it is expensive to pay the doctor each month as well as the cost of the prescription. That's the hardest thing I have to deal with.

Basically this prescription is a temporary fix for me, but it gives me the jump start I need to lose the first 20% of my weight. I know it will end at some point, but I have resolved to keep eating healthy and stay active at the gym!

Not sure if this helped, but hope you are able to get on track and stay there. Good luck!!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I belong in the same club as you. Food is pretty much all I think about. When I'm not planning my next meal I'm obsessing over how big I am. These blogs are really helping me wrap my head around how much changing I have to do. Not just what I put in my mouth, but why I'm doing it, when I'm doing it and where I'm doing it. There are so many more interesting things to do in life. Let's stick together gang!

5078205.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • lexis0911
    Options
    wow....I am sitting here crying and overwhelmed (in a good way) with all the responses!! I wanna thank each and every one of you for your words and suggestions...I am going to take each of them to heart <3 and try and make some positive changes in my life. I know there has to be a root to my problem with food and not only will I have to stick with changing my eating habits, I MUST find the reason...

I knew I wasn't alone, but sometimes it is good to hear it. :-))
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    MFP works so well for me because of my food obsession!!!

I sitll get to think about food all the time, I still get to think about what I am going to eat at every meal - except now my thiinking has changed.

Logging what you eat is helpful but logging what you PLAN to eat is the most helpful part of MFP.

If you can see that your evening meal is 600+ cals then you can make substitutions to bring it down. You begin to learn about what options are 'good' and lean towards them.

I always try to log in advance, then I can shop accordingly. It also limits the temptation for me to buy things not logged as I know I shouldn't be eating them.

It all sounds a bit full on I know - but it's my way of coping in these early days and hopefully soon making healthy choices will become second nature to me!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I have a food addiction. I've been following MFP for a year and I've lost weight as well as many inches. I just accept that it's a part of my life. I allow myself one "cheat meal" per week if I've followed the plan religiously the whole week. I usually have this on Friday or Saturday night. I used to start planning this meal the day after my last one. As I get used to the lifestyle change, I may or may not have it. It depends on if I get any unusual cravings that week. I've found that it's ok to enjoy food. I can eat whatever I want to eat. I just have to watch my portions and work out to make up for my slip ups. I would suggest you plan all of your food for the day in the morning. Stick to it all day. Do not eat anything that's not on your Food Journal. You can do this!
  • kateslife
    Options
    I think that happens to a lot of people when they start dieting. I know i was like that for a while. Now, I don't really think about it too much, because I try to keep myself busy all day. If I've got the day off, I try to think of stuff to do and only eat when I'm hungry.

I try to:
    - do laundry
    - clean
    - work out
    - stay away from the TV (temptations)