Is protein a bad thing?

Options
I find myself going over on my protein. Is this a bad thing? I assume it is - cause too much carbs and fats are and they get tracked. I don't get if going over protein is a bad thing. The weird part is I don't eat that much meat nor nuts.

Replies

• jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I find myself going over on my protein. Is this a bad thing? I assume it is - cause too much carbs and fats are and they get tracked. I don't get if going over protein is a bad thing. The weird part is I don't eat that much meat nor nuts.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much over. Usually, unless you're consuming HUGE amounts of it then it shouldn't be a problem. Unless you have diabetes or kidney issues--then you have to watch how much protein you consume.
  • arjames82
    Options
    My nutritionist and trainer have me aiming for 150mg of protein per day. I try to get most of it in through lean meats, but I have a 35mg protein shake aftermy strength training workouts. So I guess it depends on what your body needs and what kind of workouts you engage in. I'm eating high protein and low carbs and fat because I am trying to lose weight and build muscle.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Only if you are an animal...not a human. :tongue:
  • nursedebra2000
    Options
    More protein is actually good when losing weight - when you are restricting calories, protein helps to fill you up and keep you full - which will let you eat less. It also helps to preserve muscle mass and eliminate fat instead - big diet mistake is to lose muscle and fat - you only want the fat to disappear! your body will use the extra protein more efficiently than it would the extra carbs - so, do not fret - you are helping yourself with extra protein! Keep doing a great job! :):smile:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal actually sets the bar for protein kinda low. I readjusted mine so that protein is 30% of my daily intake. So, if you are going over on the preset of 15% I honeslty wouldn't worry about it at all. I prefer doing 50/30/20 in my diet (50 carb, 30 protein, 20 fat).
  • seebee
    Options
    Thanks, that's good to know that myfitnesspal scores protein lower than some would like. I too eat a lot of protein (have no kidney problems, and drink a lot of water as well with it.) I find that if I eat too many carbs, I won't lose weight. IMO the carb default values are set pretty high, too.