New and looking for support

Options
So I am finally in a season of my life where I can commit myself completely to losing weight. I am 26 (soon to be 27 in March) and for the first time I am not a full-time student or a full-time employee. I recently graduated this past December with a degree in education. I have spent the majority of my life on full-speed, devoting all my time and energy to everything but my health. Well, being too busy for my heath has landed me in a bit of a pickle...244 lbs!

Lots of yo-yoing in my past. I ballooned up to 285 lbs at my highest a few years back and lost down to 225. Since being with my boyfriend (now fiance) I gained back up to 260. Since we got engaged (1-8-11) I have been focused on my diet and fitness and have lost down to 244 lbs as of today.

I am trying to lose weight, not only for our wedding 11-11-11, but also so that we can have kids once we are married.

I have been diagnosed with a hypo active thyroid, as well as PCOS...but I am not using these as excuses! But I will take suggestions or tips if anyone knows anything about those disorders.

Ok...that's enough of an introduction. Hope to find new friends and people that I can support and encourage as well. Please add me!

Replies

• byelou20
    Options
    PCOS...... Eh I was diagnosed with that when I was 18...... Haven't had a thyroid problem, since Ive gained about 100lbs since then. Which is great but weird. PCOS of course can be from multiple things, but weight being the main factor. So I was told..... Im overly over weight now, and my current ob/gyn has not given me that diagnosis. So it can be depending on Dr and whats found.
  • 84christy
    84christy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just started today and would love to be a support for you too! Congrats on your engagement and for your new commitment to getting healthy :)
  • MomOfMikeAndLiam
    Options
    I just started up a few days back, and I'd love to make some friends on here to help support each other.
  • byelou20
    Options
    Add me if you like. Im helping a few coworkers get into shape, Id love to help and support. =)
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I just joined this week and would like to make some friends as well :) I'm going to add you. Kinda cool, we are in simular situations. I'm 29 years old and 235pds. So what are you doing for working out and diet?
  • harpcason
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. This is a great site. My sis and I try to boost each other. I am 44, in 1995 I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and had my thyroid radiated. Dr did not put me on meds, so 3 years later I was in the hospital with systems of heart attack. The Dr that saw me then said that I should have had a stroke, lucky me. I then began meds. In 2004 I was told I had heart disease and now have two stents. I enjoy working out very much and hope that monitoring what I eat and exercising I will be able to get to my goal, 125. The older I get, the harder it is to lose. But I do LOVE a challenge, lol.

Do you have access to a gym? If so, the elliptical is a great way to lose weight. If you have not done elliptical, I suggest to start off doing 10 minutes for a couple of weeks, then up it to 20 minutes. I usually do, 45 min to an hour, burning 400 - 600 cals. Then about 20 - 30 minutes of strength training.

My sis set a goal for herself last year on her 39th birthday. She weighed over 200 lbs. Her goal is to lose 100 lbs by her 40th birthday. She use to barely make it 10 minutes on the elliptical, now she is up to an hour. She started doing the elliptical a couple of months ago, when she realized that you could burn more calories on it than a treadmill.

CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement and good luck.

I will try to add you as a friend, if I can figure out how, lol.
  • Live2GlorifyHim
    Live2GlorifyHim Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the adds!

I started my first two weeks doing Phase 1 South Beach. Pretty much going on a crash course in depriving myself of sugar. This is the program I did a few years ago when I lost weight before. Similar to what I did before, I have modified the diet after the first phase.

Right now I am trying to stick to 1500 calories a day or less. I am eating a lot of protein and trying to limit my carbs to whole grain foods. Basically I eat a lot of eggbeaters, turkey burgers, homemade soups and chili, veggies, grilled chicken, and salads. I am allowing myself one (not too crazy) cheat meal a week.

For exercise, I am doing five 30-60 minute cardio routines a week as well as two 30 minute sessions a week of strength training with a personal trainer. Working out has become an addiction to me, if I miss the gym I am NOT a happy camper. How strange...to be so attached to something I used to dread doing.

Diet is definitely the hardest thing for me. As I am sure most of us do, I feel like food is an addiction at times. I want to move to a place where food does not control me, but I control what I allow into my body. I love food, but I am afraid for this relationship to work to my advantage I am going to have to end the love affair!
  • Live2GlorifyHim
    Live2GlorifyHim Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical! I try not to do the same thing on it every time I do cardio though. My trainer told me that muscles have memory and doing the same cardio every time can lead to plateaus in weight loss.

This is my typical workout week:

Monday:
    AM 30 mins upper body strength training w/trainer + abs
    PM 10 mins stair stepper lvl 40
    20 mins treadmill 2 mins walking, 1 min running OR 20 mins walking, increasing incline every 3 minutes up to 9%
    20 mins elliptical, burning at least 300 calories

Tuesday:
    PM 60 minute Cycle Class (i'm addicted!!!!)

Wednesday
    PM 30-50 mins of mixed cardio activities + abs

Thursday
    AM 30 mins lower body strength training w/trainer + abs
    PM 60 minute Cycle Class

Sunday
    PM 30-50 mins of mixed cardio activities + abs